Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Rear wheel hub assembly

oh my this is going to be a serious pain.... when i did mine, i used tried a slide hammer, heat, soaking it in penetrating fluid for a day or so spraying 2-3 times a day, an air chisel (mind you my compressor is just a tiny pancake which probably couldn't build up enough pressure). I...
  2. D

Does anyone actually love their 5th gen Explorer?

I gotta say that i'm in the minority and do not like the explorer at all. I regret the decision on buying it. why you ask? the fit and finish on it is sub standard. exterior panels do not line up properly. one door doesn't close all that well. needs a good push/ pull to close properly...
  3. D

Help. Rear rotors

hub assembly did have a hole but no holes on either rotors on the rear I've owned the car since new and have never had any service done to the rears. maybe it's a Canadian thing ;)
  4. D

sagging rearview mirror

during the summers, i find that after a week, i need to readjust the rear view mirror as it sags and i'm looking at the backseats. anyone else have this or found a way to sort this out?
  5. D

Knocking noise when steering slow speed

if it's tie rod, you might not see the rod ends flexing or making noise when both wheels off the ground as both wheels will be free push/ pull while turning the wheel. If you can, try and do it with one wheel on the ground. wouldn't need to turn wheel all the much. just a gentle shimmy left...
  6. D

Help. Rear rotors

My rotor did not have a screw hole of any sort and the rotor has never been replaced so it's OEM
  7. D

Help. Rear rotors

what i ended up doing was getting a bolt that would fit through the calipers holes. put a nut on the end to protect rotor from the nut threads and to protect the treads. put another nut with washers and started to use the bolt as a leaver to push the rotor off. similar to this:
  8. D

Wheel bearing DIY? not really....

Just wanted to pass this along. I just finished replacing the rear wheel bearing on a '13. what a serious pain!!! once you get everything apart and it's time to take the hub assembly off the knuckle, good luck if you're in a cold climate where they use salt. thing is corroded bad and almost...
  9. D

Help. Rear rotors

Thanks guys. There definitely is no screw or hole. Tired heating it, banging from the inside, Pb blaster on center hub. I don't care if I ruin the bearings as they're the reason for trying to get the rotors off. Guess I'll keep banging on it hoping to get it off. Then the next pain... Hub...
  10. D

Help. Rear rotors

Trying to replace my wheel bearing today and I cannot get the rear rotor off. The manual says there's a screw holding the rotor but on mine there isn't one. Tried usual tapping with a hammer but no luck. When I look at where the center hub mates to the center of the rotor, there's usual a gap...
  11. D

Rear wheel hub assembly

just wondering how you got yours out. I'm having the same issue and wondering if it's pressed in?
  12. D

Frustration with turn signal lever

i have the 'intelligent' blinker and one thing i hate is that notch when turning right. find that i'm constantly flashing high beams as the notch is sooo stiff or the lever is too high and should be down an inch or 2
  13. D

What does everyone want to see in the redesign of the Explorer?

om my goodness... we're on page 2 and no one has said.... "an engine with an external water pump" LOL
  14. D

Anyone mechanically inclined want to explain how I can replace waterpump?

like mikb i took a look at it and looked at the engine bay trying to figure out how i'd do this. It'd tight in there and trying to get the cover off looks like threading the needle as mikb said and i think he's being generous by saying that. I think i would tackle it if and only if i can rent...
  15. D

Wheel Locks Yes/No? Ford or 3rd Party?

my EX came with wheel locks. i took them off promptly and tossed them. I personally have no time for wheel locks. am always trying to figure out where that special spot i put it in so i'd not lose everytime i change my tires. also have had those cheap wheel locks strip on me in the past...
  16. D

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

just saying that proactivly replacing the pump doesn't mean anything. you can replace it and drive 20miles and your brand spanking new water pump can fail. not disagreeing with you at all. in fact, i'm completely on the same page. it's a piss poor design and catastrophic engine failures...
  17. D

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

i'm not sure about replacing the water pump being proactive. granted you're getting a new water pump and technically it should last you xxkm but in the past, i've replaced water pumps as i was in there doing the timing belt only to have the new water pump die on me in 5 months. all and any...
  18. D

front right humming growling

thank you. looking online at the exploded diagrams, looks like it does have a bearing bracket!! very interesting. I'll take a look at mine tonight. it's weird that it looks like the bearing is pressed on or is part of the whole half shaft assembly. which means, if the bearing is toast...
  19. D

its' an AWD crawled under and took a look at the boots and i cannot see any cracks or rips. no sign of grease leaking out of the joints either. I'm not sure this model has a half shaft bearing bracket. or does it?
  20. D

hi, trying to track down a problem and looking for some advice I've got a '13 ford explorer. recently, i've developed a humming/ growling noise from the front passenger side. i can feel vibration on the steering wheel and if i sit in the passenger side, i can feel the vibration floor board...
  21. D

high pressure p/s hose replacement

hi new to the forum and got a quick question. looks like i have a leak from the steering gearbox on the rack from the high pressure hose. had the front end lifted and with engine on, i had someone turn the wheel and the leak is like a spray coming from the threads. suspect i have a seal...
  22. D

axel stands and floor jacks

I know this is a very silly question but I need to do some work on my wife's explorer. Having been a land rover owner myself, I'm used to slapping the jack stands under the axe but where would the safe place to to put the axel stand on the front and rear? went through the owners manual and...
  23. D

radio light

i've got a 99 xlt with the upgraded radio and the lights on the radio does not seem to work, but everything else is working fine. Any ideas on fixing this?. did a search and found the radio craps out after awhile but like i said.. everything works except for the lights which makes it hard to...
Back