Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

1996 explorer 4.0 ohv

Will the heads and intake fit on the 94 block? Because with my 96, I had just bought brand new heads. They are 98tms
  2. T

1996 explorer 4.0 ohv

I have a 1996 ford explorer 4.0 ohv that has low compression and 270k miles. I just bought a complete 1994 explorer 4.0 ohv with 110k that has been rebuilt. Will the 94 drop in and plug and play or can someone lead me in the direction of what I need to do. Thank you
  3. T

1996 Ford Explorer 4.0 OHV Low Compression

Surging idle, no power to go
  4. T

Plugs back in, wires on, battery hooked up.. still runs like crap.. when it idles up, it smoothes out, but back to crap when low idle
  5. T

Yes I am using the plug wires with retaining clips on them and lots of dielectric grease on both ends. I come from a marine world with mercruiser (chevy) engines, and its drilled into me about the grease to keep moisture out. The number 4 plug is such a pain to get snapped on with the egr in the...
  6. T

Yes has a new sensor. When I went to compression test 4, I did notice plug boot was kinda loose. Going to put new plugs in, and reset computer and see If that gives me enough just to go get it inspected. I will be looking at tearing this engine down completely at some point. We all know these...
  7. T

Ok so long story short. I've had this explorer about 10 years, ran great, never had any issues with it until one day out of the blue started misfiring. Never over heated on me. I changed plugs, wires, coil, maf, egr, cam sensor, etc until I did the compression test and blew air into plug hole...
  8. T

Can you drop the oil pan without pulling the engine on this one?
  9. T

About 300k its misfiring pretty bad. Rough idle, sluggish, doesnt want to really go down the road. Inspection and registration is due this month
  10. T

Now the only question is what to do with this thing. I kinda need it to pull my boat and jet skis.
  11. T

Bahaha 2 years later to the month! Had a cracked head! Put new heads on it, ran great for awhile. Now cylinder 4 is back down to 85lbs.. added some oil and it shot up to 125... rings must be bad
  12. T

Confused about cylinder head purchase

Sorry been gone awhile. Got crushed under my honda when my jack released pressure and broke numerous ribs, fractured several others, caused bleeding on my brain and I got to stay in the hospital. Still have the explorer and she still has the issue. Will keep working on this post and keep it updated.
  13. T

I didnt do that. I did have the battery removed for a month or so. I also have bluetooth torque pro that I can check stats of the engine out with. For 1000 miles, no check engine lights or pendings. Until I started hearing this noise and read it had the 304. It rained all day the last 2 days. So...
  14. T

I bought the prostar heads 98tm heads. Master reset ?
  15. T

Have not checked compression yet. It was good after the new heads were installed. Last night I started hearing a clatter(like bad gas) and pulled codes and it was a 304... again.. Been going good for 1000 miles with these brand new heads.. and now.. again
  16. T

1000 miles later... misfire cylinder 4 again.... UGH
  17. T

what are those 16 little metal rings located inside the head gasket for in this photo?
  18. T

there arent 4.0 aluminum heads? I thought these were I was looking at.. have to go check again
  19. T

Any difference in replacing with iron or aluminum heads?
  20. T

Felpro complete gasket set and head bolts already on site. Will be getting all new rocker arms and push rods. The tips of the rocker arms (about 10 of them) are pitted up pretty bad. So going to replace all. Not even going to check push rods, just replacing them. Not too long ago, I did a...
  21. T

Kings has them at 350 each, rock at 303, city motor supply a 590 I found a place called ms pro's that require cores, pair for 400 complete.. they say new, but why cores? they say they are aftermarket... not sure if they are wanting cores returned. j&c has a set of PROSTAR for 400 complete, no...
  22. T

So I cracked my driver's side head on my 96' 4.0 OHV between the valves on number 4 (I guess that was my misfire all along). So I am searching to just buy a set of NEW heads, not reman or anything. I believe the casting on mine is a 95tm ( I think that is the number I saw). Searching around on...
  23. T

Cracked Head Options

I checked out my valves.. Im just going with a completed set, not worth the time and hassle. I need almost all new valves. May as well get it all assembled.
  24. T

Cracked Head Options

I messaged the guy last night about those complete heads for $400 - I dont mind lapping valves, putting in new seals. I just got finished last month rebuilding the top end of my accord, that was a nightmare (had to pull the v6 24 valve engine to do the work). I am on a tight budget, since I just...
  25. T

Cracked Head Options

1996 Ford Explorer 2wd 4.0 300k miles Driver side head is cracked between valves on number 4. Rockers, rods, valves all still look good. I'm thinking I should just buy 2 new heads. My question is, can I buy bare heads and just installed my old rockers and valves in the new bare heads, or do I...
Back