Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Windshield washer not working. Help!

Does the pump make a sound as it's working (or trying to)? Does it spittle anything out (sign of a kinked or plugged washer hose line)? Does the rear wash for that wiper work?
  2. S

OEM radio to OEM radio

ONLY on FM, eh? Have you tried cleaning the switches with DeOxit or a similar electronic corrosion cleaner from behind the faceplate?
  3. S

Wheel Hub Centering Rings - Post hub replacement

This summer I had to replace one front hub and one rear knuckle on my 2006 XLT, 165k miles. Now my tire dealer is having a dickens of a time eliminating road vibration after balancing the wheels and an alignment, and said I should get hub centering rings because the one front hub seems smaller...
  4. S

93 Explorer Radio issues

Or easier just to plug one "known good" speaker in at one location and if the sound changes at that speaker, it's the speakers. If the sound doesn't change, then it's the amp/head-unit.
  5. S

2006 XLT Rear Window Defogger (Grid)

So I've posted on this topic before, but am still being vexed by my 2006 XLT. The rear defroster grid does not ever seem to work in cold, icy or foggy weather. There is a new relay installed. I have measured the grid status at the rear terminals, and I have 12V across the grid when the button...
  6. S

Parts Car?

I could use a rear liftgate glass with defroster grid intact too.
  7. S

Loaded Struts

I just re-did all of my struts less than a year ago, but had to use the NAPA Premium which are supposedly the same as Monroe. They work, but am not totally happy with the ride since then.
  8. S

4.6 MPG increase

I use SeaFoam or MMO on a regular basis, but not every tank. It helps.
  9. S

2006-ish Headlamp Switch Lamp

There were some ancient threads on here about the illumination lamp inside the headlamp switch for this generation Explorers. It seemed like most folks had given up and just let the switch be non-illuminated when the bulb burns out. Well, it just went on my 2006 (16 years on one lamp? Not...
  10. S

2006 XLT lift gate won't open

Yea, sheesh, sawzall to the rear panel?!? Egads, it pops off very easily and then you should be able to see what the issue is. Happened to me awhile back when the liftgate handle broke. An easy fix.
  11. S

2006 XLT Door Auto-Lock/Auto-Unlock

Well, to resurrect an old thread, this issue continued until this weekend. The other doors would intermittently unlock when unlocking the drivers door, sometimes after a delay for a few seconds. SO it seemed like something was "gunked" up. I flooded the drivers door lock with LPS-2 lubricant...
  12. S

Yep, even stated that in my post. Problem is, no change of that setting does anything, or when it does it is not persistent. It may work once or twice, but I could also attribute it to "well it's warmer today than yesterday, so the locks work now". But neither of those is a solution.
  13. S

Searched and all of the similar threads are ancient, but my problem isn't. When I put the Explorer in gear and drive off, the doors all auto-lock around 15mph or so. Yay! But when I pull into a parking spot, turn off the engine, and open the drivers door, the remaining doors do not unlock...
  14. S

How many miles do you have now?

2006 with 152,x... No major repairs needed except new struts. I think it has a broken exhaust manifold stud, but not worth the time/effort/cost to repair.
  15. S

Need assistance identifying a part.

That's what we do here.
  16. S

Need assistance identifying a part.

Under thr front? Looks like the air flow diverter under the radiator to make sure air goes thru the radiator instead of under it. The two U-shaped cutouts go around bumper bolts if I recall.
  17. S

Replacement seats

I'd bet that it's not the seat that is the issue, but the mounting rails underneath. So if you can reuse those, I'd think any seat would fit, even something like https://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/comfort/recaro-ergomed.
  18. S

Find my lights on in the drive

Are you in a cold snap right now? The interior switch that tells these cars if the doors are open or closed is internal to the door locks, and sometimes freezes or sticks in cold weather.
  19. S

Another Milestone - 2006 XLT

These are great vehicles with good, strong engines if you keep them up properly! I love the size, and there doesn't seem to be anything quite similar in "new" production. I wish they still made the Expedition-sized body style. The new, large(est) Subaru SUV may be worth considering some day.
  20. S

2006 XLT Radiator

Mine had to, because the first replacement didn't come with a new radiator cap.
  21. S

Another Milestone - 2006 XLT

'Nuff said..... longest I've ever owned a vehicle mileage-wise. Still running strong, except for a broken exhaust stud.
  22. S

2006 XLT Radiator

Not always available. My O'Reilly's listed it, but didn't have one. Wait for it, and the car is down 3 weeks. Or I could (and did) get the Murray that they had in stock. Yea, I wish I could always get Motorcraft parts, but sadly not always the case. And no Ford dealer here for 900 air miles....
  23. S

2006 XLT Radiator

Thanks all. Just got enough snow cleared and melted to put the car up on ramps. There seemed to be weeping at the lower radiator connection, but that was the only place I could find coolant "evidence". I repositioned the hose clamp there, and re-tightened it and cleaned that all up. Ran the...
  24. S

2006 XLT Radiator

Well, I'm losing coolant from somewhere. There are no leaks under the car, no water in the oil, I don't think it's coming out the tailpipe (but it's winter in AK so there's always condensation around the exhaust). I'm going to find a time to put it up on ramps and get underneath to see if the...
  25. S

2006 XLT Radiator

Task is complete, ran it around town with no issues. I'll put the new cap on when it arrives, but using the old cap for now which (curiously) is stamped "14" in the center, but that's all it says. Biggest issue I had was one of the tranny oil cooler lines quick disconnect was anything but...
Back