Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. nailhead_sled

Flashing 4wd high & 4wd low

a.) If you search you will find plenty of threads on this topic b.) For a quick-fix, disconnect the battery for a few minutes, and then reconnect. If it is just an intermittent issue, this will clear the lights.
  2. nailhead_sled

'99 XLT front end rattle / vibration

Most likely a heat shield rattle. Crawl underneath and give the shields a shake and/or take a long screwdriver and give them a few taps.
  3. nailhead_sled

A/C Conundrum

Finally found the leak today. I was dropping off a set of heads at the machine shop for another project, and got to talking about the issues I am having with the A/C system. Turns out the dude at the machine shop was an HVAC tech in a previous life. After examining all of the usual suspects, he...
  4. nailhead_sled

A/C Conundrum

Thanks for the reply. I’m still a wee bit confused as to the leak. I understand your point regarding hard to detect spots within the system, but would the pressure test preformed not indicate this? I would imagine that to leak sufficient refrigerant to render the A/C useless within 1 hour...
  5. nailhead_sled

A/C Conundrum

A thorough search turned up plenty of great A/C troubleshooting information; however I was unable to find anything specific to my situation. The A/C has never properly worked as long as I have owned my ’98. Last summer I recharged the system and it worked well for about 4 hours before the...
  6. nailhead_sled

Ford offers Employee Dicount!

Not necessarily a bad plan… If Ford has significantly increased its quality and reliability, this could well be the starting point to win back customers. If the average consumer who currently shuns domestic automobiles because of the (real or imagined) ‘overall inferiority’ to their imported...
  7. nailhead_sled

how many kilometers to a tank?

Open 3.73 here, Stock I averaged 485-515 km. Stop and go city or 120 km/h highway crusing made no real difference. Currently 450-470 km (uncorrected speedo due to 31’s). With Flowmaster cat-back and K&N drop in.
  8. nailhead_sled

Reflex Wipers from Crappy Tire

I’ve been temped to purchase a set, however I have yet to find a Crappy Tire that actually has any in stock. Must be a result of the NHL lock-out, from coast to coast Canadians have nothing better to do than replace windshield wipers :D
  9. nailhead_sled

Flamethrower Exhaust

A word of advice should you decide to carry out your plans. Be prepared to change your oil on a near weakly basis. The unburned fuel will wash down the cylinders and contaminate the oil in no time. Not to mention even ‘small’ backfires will frag your mufflers (maybe even catalytic). I have an...
  10. nailhead_sled

Squeak!!

Could be a ball joint. They like to make the most awful squeak when they dry out. If you search, you will find many threads containing useful info.
  11. nailhead_sled

Tires, Gears, effect on MPH and RPM, etc.

I think he is referring to final drive ratio rather than ring and pinion.
  12. nailhead_sled

What HU Stereo Brand Do You Prefer?

Two dials with a display that is bright and easyto read. MP625, my next deck.
  13. nailhead_sled

Quick U-Joint Question…

Yup, it was the u-joints. Took longer to find my press than it did to swap the joints
  14. nailhead_sled

Quick U-Joint Question…

Had a friend drive slowly in both directions while I walked alongside and listened. The squeak sounds just like a shot ball joint and seems be coming from where the driveshaft meets the t-case, so I am thinking this is the bad u-joint. There is no overly harsh knock on engagement of either...
  15. nailhead_sled

Quick U-Joint Question…

Just a quick question regarding what seems to be a bad U-Joint. I’ve noticed a slight squeak at low forward speeds and the tell tale vibration (nothing major- just enough to feel), but when in reverse at low speeds the squeaking is much more noticeable-loud enough to hear with the windows up...
  16. nailhead_sled

i want new rims but am stuck on what to get...

Nice wheels! How 'bout a little altitude adjustment...
  17. nailhead_sled

Rear Defrost Help

Did this product work for you? I have tried a few products to reattach one of my broken defrost connections; however they will not ‘set’ in freezing weather. Great engineering :thumbdwn: If it was not freezing out side I wouldn’t need the bloody defroster
  18. nailhead_sled

Center Console Armrest

A truly appalling design from the blue oval engineering department. I have broken and repaired my armrest no less than five times. Finally, after epoxying (is that even a word?) the unit back together one last time, I began to search for a relatively unobtrusive item to attach on the front of...
  19. nailhead_sled

Winter fuel out already?

Judging by my recent decrease in mileage, I’d guess that the petroleum companies have switched to their winter blends. Over the last week (2 full tanks) I have documented a 2.27mpg decrease (or 1.839 L/100k consumption increase) in mileage. I can now just barley squeeze 500k out of a tank...
  20. nailhead_sled

Seat Recliner Bolt ?’s

Without at least a partial tear down it’s hard to determine whether or not the bolt is at fault. The lever is still functional (albeit very loose), with the lever pulled the seat back will recline backwards and somewhat lock, however it will not articulate any further forward than the upright...
  21. nailhead_sled

Seat Recliner Bolt ?’s

Just curious to hear some feedback and results from those of you who have had your Driver’s Seat Recliner Bolt replaced under the recall. Did the replacement firm up your seat? Did it remedy the problem of the seat back reclining as soon as any weight is applied? I am asking as earlier...
  22. nailhead_sled

Squeak/Rubbing while braking under 20MPH

When you mentioned that you “lubed everything upâ€￾, did you lube the Caliper Slide Pins? The pins were the cause of my odd noises while braking at low speeds.
  23. nailhead_sled

Help-Snapped fog light mounting bolt

What a piece of crap fastener. I was aligning my Hella fog’s (only using a ¼â€￾ ratchet) when under minimum pressure the bloody bolt snapped! I guess $70 doesn’t leave enough of a margin for Hella to use quality hardware (so much for superior German engineering). Anybody out there know...
  24. nailhead_sled

3 Problems in a day

Did it actually overheat or is this possibly a gauge/sensor issue? Start simple. Disconnect the battery for 15 mins, reconnect and see if the check gauge and brake warning light remain on. Just noticed your location, Away up in Gorgie at Tynecastle park, there's a wee fitba' team that will...
  25. nailhead_sled

Hella 500 install conundrum

I picked up a new switch from Radio Shack,swapped it in and everything functions normally. :thumbsup: I don't know what the issue with the supplied switch was, but for the three bucks the new switch cost, I won't be loosing any sleep over it being deficient. Once again,thanks for your...
Back