Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

5.0 L in a 1st gen X is this possible?

Now put the modular 5.4 liter 3v motor in the 1995-2000 that would be a trick.
  2. C

SOHC oil filling up my intake galley and over flowing to the ground

I guess the o-rings were old and rotted they broke in half when I tried to seat the fuel rail back on them did not notice this until I turned over the truck to get the oil pressure up.
  3. C

Made the mistake of pulling up the fuel rail to get to the tensioner when I went to start the truck the fuel rail is leaking around the top of the injectors now. I had to take it all back apart and now I need to go find some o-rings to put back on the injectors and fuel rail. What a pain!
  4. C

What is the restrictor pencil? I only had a tensioner, baggy with seal washer and grub screw, and upper and lower gaskets for the intake manifold.
  5. C

Ok I found the package with the grub screw and the washer. I took the tensioner back out and put the washer on and removed the old grub screw and put the new one in, but it seemed to be the same size and dimensions so I really don't know why the grub screw would be important. Looked like...
  6. C

I have a package that I found in the garage with a sealing metal ring and a little "grub screw" don't know where to put it. Never removed one. The oil seems to be leaking all around my upper intake and lower intake ports into the galley. But where is that oil coming from? I checked my...
  7. C

I am having a problems with oil filling up the intake galley on my 98 SOHC. I just replaced the tensioner kit from Ford that big black bolt thing and my upper and lower intake gaskets. The truck seems to run just fine, but I noticed it leaking oil while it was running it seemed to be...
  8. C

SOHC Coolant housing fix $15 with new sensor

SOHC sensor replacement for $15 bucks. If it is leaking around the sensor or you can't remove the sensor... read on.. 1. If leaking bad o-ring on that sensor may be causing it. 2. Sensor may be bad like mine. I think a rodent killed mine chewed the wires to the sensor and they...
  9. C

thermostat and sensor housing- do they crack?

My answer to this is $5 Platic epoxy 3600 Psi goo and a $10 sensor. The answer to Fords $310 replacement part. I am going to pop that ring out and clean it up and glue it back in with the plastic epoxy. You know Ford designed this to break exactly how it does. They want to make bank...
  10. C

Ford Explorer Throttle Cable Mod

I just did it on my 1995 EB and it needed 4 zipties it may need one more, but it is responsive now. I also did it on my 1998 EB and it only took one, but it responds much better and the shift to second or third is much quicker. I tried this mod on my 2001 Expedition EB and I think it is drive...
  11. C

Blown Head Gasket?

Same problem I had with my JBA headers they leaked always I could never fix the leaks due to crappy welds. I sent them back to the manufacturer they were pure crap!. There is a guy on this site that makes them though. I bought a set of his for my V8 Explorer and they worked great no leaks.
  12. C

A/c Blows hot air??

Here is a weird one. My A/C works fine with idling yet when I would get on the gas it would go warm or hot. I noticed this happened after my wife ran the heater the other day. It could be a blend door problem. Yet, I rat or mouse was living under my hood while the truck was parked...
  13. C

Help - Misfire / Stuttering 98 XLT SOHC

Yeah it looks like you have to take the whole front of the motor off. Not an easy job. I have the Haynes book and I am reading up on it. Now my motor has the startup timing chain rattle so I need to do it soon. Probably the tensioner. I think they are $25 at autozone.
  14. C

Help - Misfire / Stuttering 98 XLT SOHC

Change the plug wires. If the problem does not go away it's probably timing the tensioners in these things SUK! I think mine jumped time and now I have been getting low MPG and lackluster performance. Does not look easy to adjust they also sell a kit from ford to fix the problem. I...
  15. C

4.0 SOHC Seriously fast?

Yes, what I am saying is the SOHC is fast for what it is in the Explorer. It seems to motivate the truck quite well. I have a new problem though. My performance seems to have dropped off as well as my gas mileage. I went from about 17 MPG to 14.5-15 MPG and when I accellerate it seems to...
  16. C

4.0 SOHC Seriously fast?

My 98 4.0 SOHC is really fast. Are they supposed to be fast? I have whipped up on a lot of cars and trucks trying to race me. Seems like the thing has endless gears compaired to my 4.0 95 EB and my 01 Expedition 5.4. I hit the gas and it starts going into passing gear, but if I hit...
  17. C

Radio / Clock display problem 1998 and up Explorers ( blank / fade / blanks / fades )

Those who don't want to invest in $100's in the repair. I replaced mine in my 98 EB with the mach system. I went with a Dual HD radio with CD/USB/and I-pod for $134 and wiring kit for the mach system and a SWI kit which plugs directly into the radio that gives me steering wheel control (Not...
  18. C

98 Exporer Dead! Won't Start

Check your crank angle sensor it may be bad or blocked by debris.
  19. C

What to do with 1995 EB V6 OHV should I sell or keep?

The state gives you the voucher. So you work the deal with the Stealership get your best price then slap them with the voucher state pays the dealer. So the state is putting up the cash for the car not the dealer. Yet if the dealer knows about the voucher first they will rip ya. I do want a...
  20. C

What to do with 1995 EB V6 OHV should I sell or keep?

I have a 1995 EB V6 OHV Green/Tan 280K miles with the gray interior and here is what is wrong below. My wife wants me to sell it or give it away. I have a 2001 Expedition 5.4 EB 115K miles that needs Trans work, but still runs strong and a 1998 EB SOHC 133K miles that is in great shape but...
  21. C

The BFG A/T Mystery

Yes, they give me problems with the BFG's and my Pirelli's all the time. I have 17" 275 Pirelli's and the 16" BGF TKO's over sized. They put them on in 1997 and they worked great go to get some more in 2004 they said no way. I have U-haul trailer hitch on my 1995 EB and they refuse to...
  22. C

5R55S swap

Sorry to barge in here but I have a question as far as heat and IAT's on the blowers. I have a Eaton M62 on a 2.0 liter K-Series Motor running 11.5:1 compression at 11 PSI. I make 330 whp at 8500 RPM when tuned with Kpro which is impressive on a car with a weight of 2500 LBS. Anyway, I...
  23. C

I'm confused...

Yes, I deal with that crap all the time on my Explorers. I have owned mine way before the Firstone Crises. Uhaul won't let you rent trailers, discount tire and other won't put any tire than stock that came on the vehical. Stupid. I have 17" Chrome Cobra R's on my Explorer with...
  24. C

95 Exp Timing Chain Tensioner - replace

How easy is this timing chain replacement for the 95 models? I am thinking of doing it when I change out my water pump and front main seal. I have 250K miles at the moment and have never changed anything on the front of the motor. I do have a loud metalic ringing sound coming from the...
  25. C

Need Bolt Specs on the Rear Trans mount bolts

I am looking to find the rear trans mount bolt specs (Size, thread) for the two bolts that bolt from the transmount into the transmission part#39066 They want 10 a piece from the dealer looking to find them at a hardware place for less.
Back