Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Replacement 4.0l sohc for 2010 xlt 4x4

My cousin is in need of a replacement 4.0l sohc for a 2010 explorer xlt 4x4. Everything we see states 2006-2010 works. Does anyone know why an older 4.0l sohc can't be used?
  2. J

4.0 SOHC used engine compatability?

I would like to know this also. My cousin is in need of a motor for a 2010 xlt 4.0l sohc 4x4 automatic. Everything we find says 2006-2010 4.0l sohc works. Why can't an older 4.0l sohc be used?
  3. J

Spartan Locker

Paul, if you machine the axles and break 1 or need to replace it in the future, you'll have to machine the replacement axle. I decided to machine the side couplers to avoid having to modify an axle in the future. We had no trouble after installing after machining the side couplers. We had traded...
  4. J

02 explorer defrost not working correctly

Just to let everyone know how I fixed this. The crank / rod for the defrost & recirculating flaps had a tab broken off on the end that goes into the flaps. After pulling the dash free enough to get the defrost assembly out, I removed the flap, drilled in through the end into the flap, &...
  5. J

I took a couple minutes and found out that if we back the temp knob off by just over 1 line / notch, more air comes out the defrost vents. What is the cause of this?
  6. J

ROBinGA I do not believe I can get to the defrost flapper through the glove box. I have to get the flapper out to even think about rigging a fix. Most likely I'll buy a new one and install it when I get time to pull the dash out. Anyone find a good deal on the defrost flapper?
  7. J

plasticseng, thanks for the link. I pulled the stereo and found the issue as indicated in the link. Unfortunately, I can't fix it without tearing the dash out because the rod is broken off the housing. Guess that means a new flapper.
  8. J

Defrost takes forever to clear the windshield and there is a lot of heat coming out passenger front side of center console vent. I had replaced the blend door actuator about 2 years ago and removed the air recirculating door (behind glove box, above blower fan). Not sure what the problem is...
  9. J

Spartan Locker

I did the brown wire mod. No more 4x4 feeling but so easy to squeal the tires now. Thanks for everyone's help.
  10. J

Spartan Locker

My axles were hitting the cross pin. The circlips didn't come out of the side couplers. I would have never gotten the axles to locked in. Our locker didn't come in a Spartan box. It was plastic shrunk wrapped on a piece of cardboard. We bought it off ebay. Here is the link...
  11. J

Spartan Locker

Had to modify the side couplers to get the circlips to hold the axles in. I test fitted tonight and everything seems to work now. As long as the weather co-operates tomorrow evening, I should be able to have everything re-installed in the wife's ex. Here is the side coupler before...
  12. J

Spartan Locker

I didn't use the thrust washers. Did everyone else check to see if their axles clipped in?
  13. J

Spartan Locker

I would of had this done without pressing the axles out of the hubs. You just have to remove the hub / spindle assembly from both upper and lower control arms. Unfortunately, the axles wouldn't clip in the rear. I pulled everything back apart tonight. The problem is the side couplers for...
  14. J

Spartan Locker

Putting it in a 2002 with irs. I'm a back yard mechanic that will find shortcuts to attempt to save some time & work. That didn't work this time.
  15. J

Spartan Locker

Must be my problem because I didn't take the axles out of the wheel bearing ? spindle because I didn't have a socket to fit the nut. Guess a trip to harbor freight is in the works to pick up this...
  16. J

Spartan Locker

axles won't clip in I'm installing our Spartan locker and can't get the axles to clip in the rear. What am I doing wrong? I have everything together except the wheels on and oil in the rear.
  17. J

02 explorer 4.0l 12mpg

I did put a piece of cardboard in from of the radiator which did help get to operating temp quicker. I replaced the thermostat and removed the cardboard. Might have taken 7-10 minutes (on my trip to work) to get to operating temp. I have also adjusted the idle to run about 550 - 600rpm with...
  18. J

Bully Dog Tune

Per Bully Dog's website http://www.bullydog.com/product.php?ID=499, works on 2005 - 2010 4.6L Explorers. They do not have anything for 2004 & earlier.
  19. J

02 explorer 4.0l 12mpg

Unfortunately with the brutal cold temps (lower than normal) we are having here in PA, it takes longer than 5-7 minutes to get to operating temp. My wife said she had been easy on the gas for a couple tanks without any real improvement. The original plugs were worn to .090 gap (I think...
  20. J

02 explorer 4.0l 12mpg

Looking for ideas on what to check to improve gas mileage on wife's 02 explorer 4.0L 130,000 miles. currently is getting 12mpg. Everything is stock with the exception of a 3" BTF lift and after market wheels (stock size Discover AT3 tires). Intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, plugs...
  21. J

Wanted Bull Bar / Light "Safari" Bar Pictures Wanted

We are. I knew this is for looks not protection. I had to make a spacer & get longer bolts to be able to put the tow hooks on.
  22. J

Wanted Bull Bar / Light "Safari" Bar Pictures Wanted

Here are a couple of the wife's
  23. J

How to: Cold air in glove box -OR- No air flow from vents on Max AC - Here's a workaround

Happy New Year to all. It has been said multiple times but a big Thank You on this. I have just removed the recirculating door that has fallen. Also, like someone has mentioned needed to move the temp knob 1 line off of max to get maximum air flow for defrost. Don't want to highjack this...
  24. J

What options for mounting brake controller?

I made a bracket and mounted ours under the dash. Here are 2 pictures
  25. J

windows & radio quit working when key is removed

Sorry for the delay in reply, we were on vacation last week. I appreciate your help and was helpful. Took time tonight and removed the drivers door panel. There were 3 wires that had been repaired sometime in the past with crimp connectors. 1 was white w/yellow tracer (about 14gauge), 1 was...
Back