Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

exhaust replacement options

I got mine from NAPA..I think it was less than 150.00
  2. R

Hvac controls

Any answer to this. Mine just starting blowing from defrost only...
  3. R

Aftermarket Fuel Pumps?

Got mine from NAPA, no prob in 60k miles
  4. R

bird chirp -- water pump?

I have 208k on my original waterpump. I converted car to dexcool when it was 2 years old. No silicates in dexcool to cause waterpump to fail Car is a 1996 explorer 4.0 BTW
  5. R

4.0 waterpump questions/link

Thanks for the info. Great webpage alot of useful links..Ray
  6. R

4.0 waterpump questions/link

I have a '96 explorer 4.0 OHV. Does the alternator and A/C compressor need to be moved when changing the waterpump. Is there a link with a how -to other than the autozone repair manual. I would like to see the bolt on the A/C compressor that have to be removed if neccessary Ray
  7. R

trying to remove starter on a 1995 Explorer

You need to spin the starter around a bit. It is a tight squeeze but it can be done
  8. R

1996 explore brake pull

I have a 1996 explorer which I have an brake pull. It pulls to the right. I have replaced the rubber brake lines, pads, rotors,left caliper, and have cleaned all the parts to ensure there is no binding. I still have the pull. Could it be the master cylinder or the abs module. There arent any...
  9. R

break line breaking..

Do you have a NAPA nearby? They have braklines with the fittings in place already flared so you dont need the tools to do that. The cost @ $5-$7 each. Take the old one off and use it as a form to bend the new one. It isnt that hard. There are mounting tabs on the rear axle. Make sure you...
  10. R

Coolant Choices/opinions

I use Dex cool. I bought my '96 new annd put dexcool after it was 2 years old. I changed it out every 5 years. I have 195K miles on it with no coolant issues at all. I still ave the original waterpump:) Dex cool is a quality product if used properly. Make sure you flus system completely...
  11. R

please explain Explorer braking/master cylinder

If a line to one of the 4 wheels should brakes. Will the reservoir empty out totally and you would lose all breaking if you would continue to us the brakes. The old master cylinders had 2 separate reservoirs, how is it set up on a 1996 explorer
  12. R

A/C clutch question

I have a '96 explorer 193k miles on it. While driving home with the defroster on today I heard a squealing from front of car, sort of like the belt tensioner pulley. The squealing stopped after a few minutes. When I got hope I was looking under the hood and I noticed my A/C wasnt engaging at...
  13. R

Vibration when hitting 3rd at 40 to 45

vibration Have you had any transmission work done lately? I had the same issue, it was the bolts that secure the driveshaft. Worth a try see if they are tight. Ray
  14. R

rear axel seal leaking again 1996 XLT

I replaced the passenger seal on my explorer at 130k miles. Its is leaking again and car has 188k miles on it. Drivers side is original and dry as a bone. What could be causing this to happen? I never tow or go offfroad either. Ray
  15. R

keyless entry issue

NJMike, Thanks for the reply. I will give this a shot..Ray :us:
  16. R

keyless entry issue

I have a '96 XLT. When I hit the keyless entry, the button does not go up all the way, and I have to unlock door with key to gain entry. When I use the keypad the same thing happens. My truck also has the floppy door handle issue. Are the 2 related? My door handle has some tension in...
  17. R

New Ignition Lock Cylinder Problems in 1995 XLT

pn for ignition lock Clutchless1995, Do you have the pn for ignition switch you purchased from rock auto. Has it worked out well for you. I need to replace mine and any info would be great. Ray
  18. R

2 pump removal questions

1) To detach the feed and return lines from the fuel pump, you must partially lower the fuel tank right? 2)Is the tool to remove the lines from the fuel pump the same one used to service the fuel filter?? I put it up on stands tonight, doesnt seem like such a bad job..:rolleyes:
  19. R

fuel pump question/ dead battery

96 explorer 183k on original fuel pump. Went to start today, battery clicking(battery and alt are fine.) Charge battery and I dont hear pump humming when I start key. I swap relay and check inertia switch. Still not humm. I tap the tank and the pump works when I turn key now. Did fuel pump...
  20. R

Brake/Pad Maintanence Question

To do a proper brake job you must have each disc measured to see if it is within spec when you have it cut. Each disc "should" be cut to start with a new finish for the new brakepad. The problem is that these new rotors dont start with enough metal on them to be cut like in the old days...
  21. R

drivers seat cushion

I have a '96 XLT with cloth interior. Interior is perfect except for the drivers seat cushion. The cloth is NOT ripped torn or worn out, but the seat bottom is wrinkled. It appears either the seat cushion has compressed over time or the fabric has stretched a bit. Can this be corrected...Ray...
  22. R

PO420 Code--Conveter?

I still have my original O2 sensors at 181k miiles. From what I understand, this code is for the efficiency of the cat converter. If your car doesnt have any other issues it shouldnt affect gas mileage. :us:
  23. R

PO420 Code--Conveter?

You might want to try this. It worked for me. http://www.brickauto.com/o2bypass/o2bypass.htm
  24. R

Antifreeze

I converted to Dex-Cool in 1999 in my '96 explorer. 180k miles no issues so far. Just make sure you COMPLETELY get all the green stuff out...:us:
  25. R

Fuel consumption '06-'07 vs '96( both 4.0)

I currently have a '96 and am considering an new explorer. I rented an '03 4.0 few years back and it was much worse than my '96. I thought I read that ford made some improvements to eng/trans to help fuel economy. Would an '06-'07 use approximately the same amount of fuel as a '96 or is...
Back