Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

Building a Reliable 2005 3rd Gen

Love my Ex! At 218,000 miles now. Needed transfer case but did it myself and parts are cheap! Runs great for me
  2. P

Using Forscan to update tire size

My X4 works, with a custom tune, to adjust tire sizes. The stock X4 tunes did not work with my 2005. Unleashed tuning is awesome! Torrie will fix you up good over there.
  3. P

How tough are these rigs?

Works great for me. Doubt you could go as far as a Jeep though. The Outdoorsman
  4. P

Please help!!! My explorer won't start

I vote wiring issue. Check them all if you can.
  5. P

Adding power adjustable pedals to my '08 Ironman

I started the removal process at the junkyard. Needed more tools to finish. The brake pedal is the hard part since the booster is attached to it. Way more effort than it was worth to me. And it's just another expensive part to have break. Don't use 3rd gen hardware. They switched lots of things...
  6. P

05 Ex rattle noise only in gear and around 2000rpm

I finally solved the noise problem. Probably not the best solution, but it works for me. Between the flowmaster 50 suv, cleaning the oil pan, and switching to full synthetic. The rattle is indistinguishable from everything else. With a silent muffler, who knows.
  7. P

It seems to be better. But looks like the balance chain tensioner broke. Seems to be the only pieces in the pan.
  8. P

Hose tells me the cats are bad. Stinky too. Flowmaster direct fit cats on the way. Research tells me leaky exhaust causes cats to run hot and destroys catalytic converters. Many sounds are similar to timing chains. I can hear the chains with a stethoscope but they do not seem to be the source...
  9. P

So strange, now it only happens 2000-2500. Hopefully sealing up the exhaust will fix it. I'll try to remember to update when/if I eliminate this noise. Motor mounts took me about 10 hours with mostly manual tools. Driver side wears out first from the motors movement. Fairly easy to do. Drop...
  10. P

Loose header nuts make lots of odd noises. Was afraid to touch them for fear of breaking. Comes and goes now. Ill find it yet
  11. P

It somehow seems to be throttle position related. If I accelerate quickly it happens well below 2000rpm
  12. P

Been chasing more today and while spraying soap water all over the headers I see no leak... I did notice one of my new plugs seems to be blowing bubbles. I'll let it cool and see if I can fix it soon. May drop pan at next oil change.
  13. P

Thanks so much for your help! You would know much better than I. I am still holding out hope that it may be something else though. Especially since it has gotten better and not worse. And my trustworthy shop said it was 1 of the pulleys. Are you 100% sure? I have heard many 3rg gen X's and none...
  14. P

I would love any help with this. Made a couple of videos and would be very grateful for any suggestions. It always happened between 2000-3000rpm. Anybody think it may be an exhaust leak? Thanks!!
  15. P

'03 XLT leaking fluid

The pictures help! The stains look like coolant to me. Thermostat housing is known to leak possibly?
  16. P

05 explorer V6 Torque Converter troubleshoot

Can't help much, but sounds like the tranny is on the way out. Make sure fluid level is correct. I hear they are finicky. Maybe a solenoid pack? Band adjustment might help.
  17. P

4wd not engaging

I read the older 3rd gens have a 4x4 module behind the glove box which fails sometimes. Hope you get it figured out!
  18. P

Thoughts on XL-12 Transfer case fluid

I keep wondering about this since mine asks for Mercon v. I wouldn't use xl-12(Mercon) in a TOD transfer case such as my 4411. From my research it won't matter much though. Even makuloco states xl12 not for TOD.
  19. P

Transfer case fluid: XL-12 or Mercon V

I researched this issue on other ford sites as well. My manual and dealer parts dept says to use Mercon V. I hope they change the specs if superceded. It seems like the problems are over-rated/nonexistent from what I found and most people think the transfer case isn't picky about the fluid. If...
  20. P

Transfer case fluid: XL-12 or Mercon V

I wish makuloco would confirm this... My 05 with the 4411 lasted about 200k with Mercon V. He even says not to use xl-12 on TOD cases. Not sure I want to put older merc in instead.
  21. P

Feels like its stuck in 4wd

Lots of posts regarding this end up being the VC on AWD, or tire related.
  22. P

Opinions on Toyo Open Country and Hankook DynaPro?

This is an old review but still applies: http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/129-0805-hankook-dynapro-atm-rf10-tire-test/
  23. P

Opinions on Toyo Open Country and Hankook DynaPro?

I like the Hankook ATM tires. They have held up well to the minimal amount of abuse I have given them. Haven't had many other tires though so im not much help. Avoid Goodyear Forterra. I lost 2 on one easy paved dirt road. I have some videos of them in action here:
  24. P

3rd gen transfer case removal how to

The TC failed internally somehow and started to whine when driving regardless of gear or speed. Replaced with used and works like new again.
  25. P

3rd gen transfer case removal how to

I couldn't find Anything on the 3rd Gen. Transfer case removals. Or the Borg Warner 4411. So I made a quick video as i was doing mine. hopefully this helps somebody.:burnout:
Back