Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Bobbylew

Blown engine... need recommendations

I just did the R&R on my 2004 and when the engine was ready to go back in, I couldn't get the torque converter mated up to the transmission. I had to pull the converter with the engine due to one freaking nut rounding off that held the converter to the flex plate! Getting the converter to mate...
  2. Bobbylew

The dreaded broken crossmember bolts....

Well, it's June of 2019 and I have the same situation with my 2004. First, I have to get the tranny out. The engine was ready to go in, but I had to pull it with the Torque Converter attached, due to one of the nuts rounding off. When I went to try and put the converter on the tranny, I...
  3. Bobbylew

5r55e input shaft

I'm having the same problem as Island Mom, but mine is a 2004 and the bell isn't removable. Going to have to lower the trans, it looks like.
  4. Bobbylew

5R55E Input Shaft stuck

I see this is a 6 year old thread. I'll try anyway. I have a 2004 Explorer that I did a complete engine timing cassette replacement on. One of the flexplate to torque converter nuts rounded off, so I pulled the engine with the TC attached. The engine is ready to go back in, but the TC won't...
  5. Bobbylew

4.0 timming chain

Absolutely! The gauge is not a gauge at all. It is operated by a pressure switch that puts a resistor in the circuit to make the gauge read at mid scale. I guess Ford didn't want to use an idiot light.
  6. Bobbylew

How many miles will an explorer go for?

Good going! You have, obviously, taken care of that baby! I think the best thing you can do is use the proper grade and quality of oil and change it regularly. I'm trying some Mobil1, "Annual Protection", which I will change when Summer gets here. I can't let it go that long in good conscience.
  7. Bobbylew

***************** Things look good in there. I too, am hoping it was a chain change out and poor cam setup. Thirty degrees on the crank isn't all that much, if one thinks about it, when it comes to piston/valve interference. Lucky for us, huh? At leaast for me. LOL
  8. Bobbylew

Beats the stuff outta me! When it craps the bed, it's going to the crusher! POS German design engine! "Vee make zem as difficult to verk on as possible!".
  9. Bobbylew

Timing Chain Tensioners - Purchasing

Yeah, Littleant - that was camshaft 15°, making it 30° on the crank! I was amazed that it ran as well as it did. No SES Light now. (Hooray!) The new tensioner cured the rattle at startup. Luckily, it was Bank #1. Chicago got nothing on the Dakotas! We got more dang wind than Washington...
  10. Bobbylew

Littleant - Mine's a bit over 125,000. I had to re-zero the right camshaft. It was a solid 15 degrees late! Caused a Bank 1 too rich and Bank 2 too lean! Strange. Previous owner had no SES light. I think the folks who sold it to him "juiced" the PCM flash. He had lost all PATS keys, so I...
  11. Bobbylew

I just started having the rattle on the right rear(!) of the engine. I'm going to heavier oil and new tensioners. When that quits working, the car's going to the scrap yard. Frigging German design POS!
  12. Bobbylew

My 1994 XLT has 241,000 miles and still rolling. The Transfer case just refused to shift into 4 x 4, so it's going on the hoist later this month. Also, have a 2004 XLS that I just got rolling again. The problem with it was Cam Timing. The Right Cam was about 30 Crankshaft Degrees late! The...
  13. Bobbylew

Wire Diagram / Details for stock radio 04 Explorer

Thank you! You're the first one who knows the difference between a Wire List and a Schematic!
  14. Bobbylew

Best Battery

What ever you do, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT buy an EVERSTART Battery from WalMart!! The Shops I have talked to, call them NEVER START! One '04 Explorer came in with PATS, Misfire and some other issues. It had a 6 month old "Never Start" and the battery was intermittently dropping by about 4 to...
  15. Bobbylew

How to: Building a rotiserrie

Great job. Great tool!
  16. Bobbylew

2004 XLS 4.0 SOHC At My Wits End!

A short update: (12/09/2017) The camshaft on Bank #1 turned out to be 10 degrees late! I'm not sure how that would affect the too rich DTC, but it was way too far off and certainly would not help satisfy the mixture strategy. The special tools are removed and I'm ready to put followers back...
  17. Bobbylew

2004 XLS 4.0 SOHC At My Wits End!

Since there have been no replies that I have seen, here we go............. Okay! Here's today's (12/7/2017) update! First, it's colder than heck out there, but my 350,000 BTU Forced Air, Propane Heater (Overkill?) makes it tolerable. I learned my lesson for saving fuel by aiming it at my...
  18. Bobbylew

HELP!! Transfer case stuck in 4wd high

Sorry that it's been so darn long, but here is an update on the '94 Transfer Case. It turned out to be a worn out "Mode Fork", The blasted things are made of Fiber Reinforced Plastic (FRP) and the case got very low on MERCON. There went the fork. While I had it apart, it got a new chain...
  19. Bobbylew

What Did You Do To Your 3rd Gen Today?

One idea: Find the fuse for an item that is switched VPWR and use one of those fuse taps to get 12 V DC on that. Just an idea.
  20. Bobbylew

What Did You Do To Your 3rd Gen Today?

I spent almost all freaking day changing the Fuel Filter on my '04, while waiting for another "Special Tool" because my valve spring compressor won't work! After several vintage and newly invented words, I got the upstream connector to move and that connection released as if I knew what I was...
  21. Bobbylew

Stupid stupid little bolt

Oh, man! Do I know what you mean! I just removed the "Fantastic Plastic" intake for the second time on my 2004 and I have managed to learn to "do it by Braille". I bought a couple of sets of TORX screwdrivers. One long and one shorter. Those stupid things are torqued to 80 in.lb. if I...
  22. Bobbylew

Rough IDLE P0172 and P0174 Codes

No problem....I'm making more mistakes with this vehicle than I have ever made before, it seems! LOL
  23. Bobbylew

Rough IDLE P0172 and P0174 Codes

Did they check for proper Camshaft timing? What year is your Explorer? I'm having a similar issue with a 2004 that I picked up on a deal about 2 weeks ago. I have eliminated everything but the camshaft timing and will do that soon. (I just remembered that I have not tried to diagnose the Fuel...
  24. Bobbylew

Symptoms of a Clogged Catalytic Converter?

Now THAT is a Catalytic Converter meltdown failure! Yikes!
Back