Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Problem while idle....

Try the IAC, Idle air controller. Search the site for IAC and read up. Had mine replaced for about $110. Solved my rough idle, stalling conditions. Should have done the replacement myself and saved the $30 labor. 2 bolts, easy access. My '02 actually wouldn't stay running at idle. Sounds like...
  2. B

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

Hi Al, need a bit of advice. Figured you watched this thread. Gonna to a 2300 mile trip from Raleigh to Yellowstone in May '06 in my 2002 V8 X. Was wondering what pre-maintenance I should do to ensure trouble free trip. 85k mileage now. Truck runs well. Have a new tranny at 40K so fluid...
  3. B

02 explorer, to buy or not to buy

Bought my 02 new, 80K miles, no issues at all. Tight clean running truck. V8 4x4. Do the proper maintenance and it will last almost forever. Guy with the bump clunk.... get a needle nose attachment for your grease gun and lube the ball joint. Worked for me. Cost: $4. Randy
  4. B

How many miles will an explorer go for?

I've got 2 Exploder's 1998 Sport V6 OHV - 136K miles, no trouble at all (original clutch and brakes) 2002 Hog V8 4x4 - 80K miles. ONly 1 problem that was mishandled by the dealer, would have been minor. Very happy with both trucks. College son gonna get the 98. Probably put another 100K...
  5. B

Squeaky Ball Joints

I've been having front passenger squeaking for about a week. It started as a squeak when bouncing (pot hole, speed bump) and progressed to constant squeaking over any road imperfection and when turning the steering wheel. Fix: Bought an injection needle for the grease gun ($3.98) and lubed...
  6. B

engine cuts off at idle

I had exactly the same problem, had to give the truck gas to keep it running. Dealer changed the IAC (about $130) and fixed the problem. I should have bought the part and done it myself (10 minute fix). IAC = Idle Air Controller Randy
  7. B

rough idle on 2003 XLT 4.6L V8

It's the IAC. Idle Air controller. $185 for dealer to fix. $90 for you to replace. 2 bolts and a connector, 5 minute job. My 02 did the same thing. Would run fine with gas pedal pressure but dies on idle.... Randy
  8. B

Project: 20mpg 5.0 AWD

I'm getting 24 in the 96 Sport V6 with 112K miles. Did the cleaning, plugs, wires, drilled air box, removed roof rack and steady 60MPH on the interstate to/from work. Moved from 19/20 to 23/24 mpg. Randy
  9. B

Strange idle problem

Could be the IAC, Idle Air controller. Just replaced mine. Mine would actually drop the RPM's until it stalled. Search on "IAC cleaning" to see if anyone has tried to clean an IAC. Part is about $90 Installation is fairly simple. Randy
  10. B

Won't stay running......

It's the IAC. THe Idle Air valve is sticking. My 2002 XLT was doing exactly the same thing. It would start then die immediately unless I held the gas pedal at about 800 rpm. Lift my off off the gas and boom, it dies. Part: $90 Labor (Ford dealer): $90 Maybe try pulling off the IAC vent...
  11. B

Gas Mileage

OK, here's my gas mileage skinny........ Been inspired by Aldive...... 1998 Sport 4.0L, 5 speed 3.78 LSD. 109K miles..... 6 year average, mix driving, normal foot: 20 MPG. Some less, some more but 20 average. Updates in the last 60 days.......... - Bosch +2 plugs - New Autolite...
  12. B

98 sport door locks messed up!

Yup, my 98 Sport has the same issues. First the driver's key lock (opening), then passenger key lock (opening). Graphite did not work for me. WD40 worked great. Last about 6 months. When it starts to stick a little, re-lube the locks. Randy
  13. B

KKM for 98 Sport??

Karl, I used Bosch +2 (all the parts store had) and autolite no-name wires (again, all they had). Did a injector cleaning (fuel additive). Picked up about .5 to 1 mpg and noticeable idling/acceleration improvement. The routing of the wires is a beast cause the driver side wires all go thru the...
  14. B

KKM for 98 Sport??

Looking for a KKM for my 98 Sport 4.0L OHV. Anyone else done this? Results in mileage or hp? Just did my plugs and wires. 106K and it runs real nice............ Looking for 25mpg. Started at 22, prolly at 23.5 now Big-R
  15. B

Spark plugs and wires

dmasini, I'm about 6'5" and have long arms to match. Got many cuts as well. Wait til you do the wires. Knuckle head engineers want to torture us shade tree guys. Good luck on the next go round. Got Mama's big hog ('02 V8 XLT AWD) to do next. Ugh. Later, BigR
  16. B

Spark plugs and wires

Did my plugs and wires on my 98 Sport 4.0L yesterday (106K miles, first change). Took about 2 hours. I bought a universal adapter and used ny 3/8" drive (shorter handle). I also bought a boot puller which helped some. Biggest problem was driver side wires. All three wires go thru the same...
  17. B

Gas Mileage Tips, Tricks, Recommendations Needed

Al, I've read your posts on the gas mileage. How much did the synthetics help? I'm also gonna remove the roof racks. BTW, if you're south florida, flat land helps too. Here in rolling central NC, we get hit a bit by the terrain. Any idea how much the KKM helped the mileage? Thanks for...
  18. B

Gas Mileage Tips, Tricks, Recommendations Needed

OK, with gasoline in NC at $1.75 and the owner of two Exploders, a 1996 V6 Sport (manual 2wd, LSD) and a 2002 V8 XL (AWD, LSD), I need some gas mileage tips. We're completely stock. Sport (mine) gets about 21 MPG and the Boss's Beast get 17-18 mpg. What have you all tried, what works, what's...
  19. B

2002 XLT Arbitration Hearing coming soon. Please advise

Xplourer, do a forum search on 5R55w Transmission and you can read my litany with the dealer. I didn't go to arbitration but we had problems as well. Might give you some food for thought about the problem. Service rep was quick to offer a "deal" on the 5R55w problems. Big-R
  20. B

5r55w repair saga (long) need some advice

Hi all, here is the update to my 2002 Explorer V8 4WD transmission repair saga. The setup: 47,500 miles, 2.2 years old. Had been experiencing a 4/5 and 5/4 shifting "hiccup" for a while. Was starting to get worse. Decide to take to the dealer to get it checked. Had read all the forum posts...
  21. B

2002 Explorer - 5r55w Transmission

Thanks for the hope on the repair. We drop it off today at 3:00 at the dealer. How much should I expect for a repair charge for a PCM flash? One suggestion was to turn the OD off which I did while cruising around town over the weekend. All seemed fine (cause I took 5th gear out of the...
  22. B

2002 Explorer - 5r55w Transmission

We have about 45K miles on the new Explorer 5R55w sealed case auto transmission. We have a V8 and 4wd. Recently the tranny has started "hunting" between 4th & 5th gear. Typically under load (climbing a hill while accelerating at about 40 mph) or (climbing a hill while on cruise at 70 MPH)...
Back