Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

Transmission Gasket Leaking

Does this look like it is just the gasket leaking on the transmission? noticed a puddle underneath the Explorer earlier, crawled underneath and it's nice red transmission fluid. I cannot see any fluid higher up, but it is odd that there is fluid on that piece beside the transmission pan (second...
  2. N

Fair price for 2008 V8 Limited

What are you guys seeing as pricing for a 2008 Limited in your areas? The time has come to sell ours, would like to keep it, but financially it doesn't make sense right now. I have had it listed on Craigslist, Cars.com for a couple weeks at what I believe is a fair price but have gotten...
  3. N

Stock Tweeters

Did any trim Explorer of this generation come with stock tweeters? Looking to install some and hopeful that wiring may be tucked somewhere. Had a Murano previously and there was tweeter wire ticket up in the dash. Will make life easier if there is some in the Explorer. Thanks.
  4. N

Transmission fluid

With the recent stumbling from our Explorer, I decided to check the transmission fluid to rule that out before buying new coil packs. With the engine hot (just below about halfway on the temperature gauge when I started checking) my transmission fluid reads about 1/8" below the hatch area on the...
  5. N

Stock system information

Can anyone tell me if the stock system in the 2008 Explorer has an amplifier for all the speakers, or just the subwoofer? I am not sure what options were available, we have the factory navigation with rear DVD. I am trying to determine what is already installed in order to decide whether to get...
  6. N

Shifting issues - 2008 V8

Our 2008 Explorer has started to develop a transmission problem. When driving and lightly pressing the gas pedal to accelerate, it will jerk slightly (feels like a light misfire) as it changes gear. If I accelerate harder it's not as noticable. It's a 2008 V8, pretty sure it's got the 6R60...
  7. N

Air bag light

This morning when I started up the vehicle the airbag light remained on, I know sometimes these can flash a code, so the second time I started the vehicle I made sure to watch for any code. But, nope, nothing, it just comes on and stays on solid. Any idea's what the problem might be? Nothing...
  8. N

P0340 Check Engine Light

This morning on the way home the CEL lit up, scanned it once home and the only code it is reading is P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor , Bank 1. After doing a little research I came across this video: Have any of you experienced this code, and did it turn out to be a failing alternator? I plan...
  9. N

Tailgate Interior Trim Removal

Does the interior trim on the tailgate just pull off? Looks like the handles need to be unscrewed, but then does the rest of the plastic piece just pull straight off? Like an idiot I backed my wife's into the garage door last night and put a good sized dent in the tail gate. Hoping to pull that...
  10. N

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

Does anyone use a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve? specifically on the 4.6L V8? I am considering picking one up but wanted to hear if anyone had used one on the V8 before ordering. Specifically, if I would need the extension or if the valve will bolt straight up to the oil pan. Thanks.
  11. N

Washer Pump Not Working

I got a call a short time ago from the body shop that my Explorer is ready for pick up. However, while on the phone they let me know that the windshield washer pump is not working. I had a suspected it had a problem, as I had filled the reservoir not that long ago and a couple days before taking...
  12. N

Stupid Deer - Trying to figure out the damage

Yesterday we hit a deer while driving into town, last night I got around to taking a look and it seems that it did a fair amount of damage. What I can't tell for sure is what all is damaged. At the moment it looks like the bumper has broken clips along the drivers wheel well, the 5 screws at the...
  13. N

A/C problems - passengers side warm, drivers cool

We recently noticed that the passenger's side vents are blowing warm air with the A/C running while the driver's vents blow cold air. Reading old threads here there are a few mentions of it being the blend door...
  14. N

Front Differential Leaking

A couple days ago I noticed about a quarter sized oil spot on the floor of the garage, seems to drop about a quarter size overnight. Today I got around to taking a look underneath and it looks as though the oil is leaking from the bottom of the front differential. Is there a seal that can be...
  15. N

Stock Subwoofer Removal

Are there any guides out there to remove the stock subwoofer? I have searched multiple places, using a number of different keywords and cannot seem to find any clear instruction on removing it. I know the entire trim piece needs to come off, and that I need to unbolt the seatbelt from the middle...
  16. N

Factory Subwoofer Removal

How do I remove the factory subwoofer? Mine cuts in and out randomly and it's quite frankly really annoying, I can't see how to get to it (and the amp) in order to see what is wrong with the thing. Kind of hoping it is the subwoofer as that will likely be the cheaper replacement. Any links to...
  17. N

Transfer Case Fluid - 4.6 V8

I hate to open a thread for this, but can't seem to find a solid answer. Is the correct transfer case fluid for the 4.6 V8 Mercon V? I have read that you should use the same fluid as in the transmission, but my transmission takes Mercon SP. Are there any aftermarket brands worth using? or is...
  18. N

6R60 Transmission relearn procedure

Yesterday I got around to replacing the valve body in my Explorer. It started fine and shifts gears smoothly from P to R, then N and into D (huge clunk while shifting is gone). So now I need to follow the relearn procedure. But, I have seen 2 different methods. One described here...
  19. N

Transmission Dipstick Part Number

Does anyone know the part number for the transmission dipstick? Mine broke while checking the fluid level and I need a replacement. I can't find anything on Fordparts.com or anywhere else for that matter. Thanks.
  20. N

6R60 Valve Body Replacement

A few weeks ago I had an issue with my transmission, a hard clunk, P0770 code and it staying in one gear. After talking with a couple shops, they recommended that if after draining the fluid it is clean that I should be able to just replace the valve body. Drained the fluid, ran it through a...
  21. N

Smoke at start up

When it rains, it pours. So while still dealing with my transmission problems, I noticed that when starting the engine white smoke comes out the back. I have the coolant leak at the Y behind the passenger wheel, but had been watching coolant levels until I had time to change it. I had...
  22. N

Help! Transmission issue? On side of road

A few minutes ago I pulled away from a stop light and got a fairly severe jolt through the transmission, it honestly felt like someone hit us. Engine light came on, so I pulled over, shut the engine off and looked under the hood and under the vehicle. Nothing obvious. Got in, started the...
  23. N

Slow coolant leak

A couple weeks back I noticed my coolant was low, topped it up as I was heading on a road trip and while on the trip topped it up a couple more times. When I got home, I noticed the level had not gone down, so checked a couple more times and since it had not gone down left it alone. Over the...
  24. N

4.6 V8 Spark Plugs

I am getting set to order some spark plugs as I am coming up on 100k miles and have a couple road trips ahead, but can't find a consistent answer on what plugs to use. I have a 2008, with the 4.6 V8 and black coil boots. Should I use: Motorcraft SP462 Motorcraft SP514 Autolite HT1...
  25. N

Axle Seal Part Number / Confirmation

So after thinking it was my CV that was leaking, it looks to be more like the axle seal on the drivers side. However I can't seem to find a part number, even checked on Fordparts.com and the only axle seal that came up was for the passenger side. The passenger side seal shows a part number...
Back