Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. U

AC Drain location

For a 2015 Sport, the drain tube end (plastic stub fitting like in the photo) is covered by silver firewall insulation. You have to tug it back to access it. It’s not easy, but was able to get a foam evaporator cleaner in there and seems to have improved the wet sock smell I sometimes get after...
  2. U

2011 Explorer frame rotted through

was your car flooded by salt water, or is it possible that a caustic substance was somehow introduced to the under carriage? If flooded, the water would really have had to stay trapped in frame rails or other folds of the unibody for a while.
  3. U

What does everyone want to see in the redesign of the Explorer?

Good for you. Given the endless posts about HID and LED upgrades, it's pretty obvious that most people who weren't able to order new with HID headlights would prefer a headlight better than the fixed aim halogen bulbs that Ford offered (and they're not even HIR halogen bulbs (i.e., best...
  4. U

What does everyone want to see in the redesign of the Explorer?

Adaptive self-aiming HID headlights in the luxury and sport configurations
  5. U

Ford Extended Service Plans (ESP)

I would buy the Ford-backed factory extended warranty (for the right price - most dealers inflate them terribly. You can get massive discounts by buying from another dealer, on line. Tons of discussion of this on line here in these forums.). If you need the steering system/rack replacement...
  6. U

Transmission Fluid Flush worth it??

Have any of you actually seen a provable failure due to fluid degradation?
  7. U

Best halogen headlight bulbs, 9005 or 9011?

Trim the tabs on 9011's and use those. 9005's suck. Do a forum search.
  8. U

Explorer's Poor Headlights

Yes, I'm aware that bulb swapping is not going to do it - HID projectors are totally different from halogen. I was thinking maybe Ford could offer all the parts used in the HID setup, in a way that they could be purchased and installed in a halogen spec'd car as a retrofit upgrade. I'd buy...
  9. U

Interesting Encounter w/ a previous Explorer Engineer.

OP said ContiPro Contact, not ContiSport Pro Contact. The former are all seasons, not summer tires. No experience with these, but looks like they get good to fair reviews on TireRack.
  10. U

There are so many complaints about these stock halogen headlights; it's surprising that Ford hasn't engineered a retrofit kit to upgrade to the HIDs. Seems like a no-brainer given that the car offers HIDs already in other trim lines. Presumably all they would need to do is package the HID...
  11. U

2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue

Aren't you being misleading? You had the software update only because your car received dealer attention for this very issue. Software updates to pre-2016 models don't just happen automatically over the air. If you own one of the hundreds of thousands of cars that haven't had the software...
  12. U

That's definitely not true. I had the PS failure last year around this time while driving 80 mph on the NJ Turnpike. The warning indicator came up on the dash, but the steering assist failed out soon after that. Restarts initially cleared it, but it returned, sometimes while driving. As you...
  13. U

LED headlight out / failure

son of a b... typical dealer BS!! Good like fighting with them to replace the dinged up plastic.
  14. U

Power Steering Loss 2015 - 2016 Explorers Only

Get ready to be banished to a thread with about 1,000 posts about this issue. Happy reading!
  15. U

Explorer hood vibrates

Not sure if that engine is direct injected (The 3.5L Ecoboost is), but sounds like the normal sound of a direct injection engine. Fuel is hi-pressurized and injection system has a sound like diesel clatter. I'm still getting used to it on mine - I really only hear it at idle; always sounds to...
  16. U

Bwomack - you bought it from a dealer? Many states have at least some minimal (like 30 days) warranty for used vehicles purchased from a dealer. Go that route and let the dealer who sold it to you go after Ford.
  17. U

2016 Explorer Sport Road Noise GONG!!

You say similar to hitting a hollow metal pipe, so first thing that comes to mind is the Sport's low, X-shaped rear exhaust pipes. Can't believe they'd bottom out on ordinary road bumps, but could you possibly be hitting those? Any signs of dings or scuffs on them?
  18. U

SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer

all that work for what amounts to a different GUI?
  19. U

3.5 Ecoboost slow engine warmup

Same here on my 2015 Sport. But our "cold" conditions here in metro NY are probably laughably springlike in much of Canada, so can't say I've had experience in true protracted cold weather.
  20. U

Light pollution? What are you talking about? I use them because the stock headlights are patently inadequate, as discussed innumerable times in these forums. The fogs don't provide sufficient down-road light to help with the anemic stock headlights, but they do provide more foreground light for...
  21. U

I run the fogs all the time as well.
  22. U

that sounds like a good idea - try to see how they illuminate after adjustment, a little further up the road
  23. U

Beware of this. Headlights are funny. Engineers make them so that they light up the road fairly far up road, not the road immediately in front of you. That's because their most important function is to light up the road when you're traveling at speed. Most people look at their light pattern...
  24. U

Driver Seat and Foot Well Complaints

left foot leg room seems to be just a hair limited so it is harder to extend your leg than the right side. I usually get a creaky left knee on long trips. I don't have an issue with the room for your left foot on the floor/dead pedal issues. Seats are very good but left arm rest is too far...
Back