Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 2

4.0 SOHC Performance Cams

I have a '99 X w/ the 4.0 SOHC with 150k miles and may need to replace one of the cams. I couldn't help but wonder if the use of the 4.0 SOHC in the Mustang has led to someone making performance camshafts that will also fit my X. I would be interested to hear from anyone that has swapped out...
  2. 2

crooked in jersey

i've read a few threads about the drivers side of the x being lower than the pass side. sure enough, when i checked mine (99 4 door w/ t-bolts removed and 2" rear blocks) the drivers side measured 29.5" to fender lip and pass side was 30.25" (w/ gas tank full). i was thinking i need to put the...
  3. 2

Am I crazy...

I have a 1999 SOHC X and have noticed a dramatic performance improvment during the cold weather (it has been around 10-20 degrees F lately in NJ). Am I crazy, or has anyone else noticed the same thing? Also welcome thoughts on why this is.
  4. 2

Stock Ride Height

I have a 1999 SOHC AWD 4 door X and am trying to find out what the stock ride height is supposed to be in the front. Is there a factory ride height measurement from the ground to a framerail, fender lip, etc.?
  5. 2

Rear Sway Bar

I was telling a friend about the significant handling improvement of the EE rear sway bar I recently installed. He told me that owners from a Saab forum were installing two stock Saab rear sway bars on the rear of their cars as a low buck alternative to buying a new aftermarket rear bar. I don't...
  6. 2

How 2 - faster SOHC

Q: Know how to make the 4.0 SOHC faster? A: Put it in a 3,400 Lb. vehicle! :thumbsup: But seriously, I've been drooling over the new Mustang and was suprised to see the performance numbers with V6/auto in Car and Driver: 0-60 = 6.9 Sec; 1/4 mi = 15.3 Sec@ 91 MPH. That's only 0.6 and 0.2...
  7. 2

Secret "X" Uncovered!

When walking behind my '99 Explorer tonight I noticed a distinct "X" on the snow covered ground behind the truck. It was about 18" high and 2' from the rear bumper. Puzzled, I first covered one tail light with my hand, then the other. Sure enough, each diagonal of the "X" is cast separately from...
  8. 2

rubbers

what's the max. tire for stock 99 xlt 4 door awd? would 31x10.5 fit?
  9. 2

2 ques

i am wondering about the following about my 99 x: 1) how to bypass top speed governor (confirmed 110 mph). 2) does anyone make lower first gezar kits (00 > have lower first gear).
  10. 2

Spring Rates

My X ('99 4 door XLT AWD SOHC) has the firmest "B" factory suspension available (B=firmest on B-L rating scale) and rides like a dump truck. I was wondering if anybody has any experience swapping out the firmer torsion bars and leaf springs for softer ones. I understand why Ford went with overly...
Back