Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Reklaw

Don't buy 3rd Gen with 4.0L

I have been running Amsoil signature series pretty much exclusively since I got my explorer back in 2014. I haven't noticed a start up rattle but i'll have to pay attention to that. I know for the longest time you could hear the belt tensioner "clicking" at idle and I don't think that is the...
  2. Reklaw

Eddie, Thanks for this info also. I do tow a pop-up camper so it definitely would be nice to have more power with better mileage. I did get my Ex with 92k on it so I definitely put the miles on it. Also, if I would need another 5R55 transmission I think I would do it myself this time. That...
  3. Reklaw

Thanks Boomin. I was afraid of that because I think I've been hearing that type of sound for awhile but I still haven't listened good for outside the vehicle. I'm also kicking myself now because I saw a V8 a few weeks ago at a good price and I didn't call about.
  4. Reklaw

All Right, since this thread was rehashed and I have an '04 V6 with 211k on it and I have already spent the money on a rebuilt transmission and for living in Pennsylvania it has very little rust, what would you guys recommend I do? From the time I have owned this Ex I have been a member of this...
  5. Reklaw

3rd Gen Dash Removal Pics

Off topic but i noticed the brake controller you have mounted on the passenger side. Did you do that or was that a previous owner? I ask because it looks like it's nice and tucked out of the way but it's not in a good location for emergencies.
  6. Reklaw

Transmission woes - code P0745

From my experience, I think you are heading for a new or rebuilt transmission. I have an '04 XLS and I had the code for the solenoid back in 2017 at inspection time and in Pennsylvania it wouldn't pass the "OBD emissions" check so I had to replace the solenoid. I did that in April and it was...
  7. Reklaw

Trying to figure out what this hose is for. Video to show

Ok, I think I might have something. If you go to FordParts.com and put your explorer information in and search for part "9D289" or "Fuel Vapour Separator Tube" and choose the part that has the diagram of the fuel tank. The part we are looking for is "9J388" on the diagram. After looking at...
  8. Reklaw

I finally had a chance to try and trace that hose and no real luck. All I can tell you as of now is that the rubber hose on my Explorer transitions to a metal "hose" behind the engine. I can't see where the metal hose goes to. I think I'm going to be changing my fuel rail pressure sensor...
  9. Reklaw

Just to clarify, you can't figure out where the hose goes? The thing you tapped on at the end of the video. I don't know what that is, I've been trying to figure that out for a few days, but I believe mine has 2 hoses connected to the back side of it. The top hose runs to the top of the...
  10. Reklaw

P0171 P0174 P0193 P2197 Rough / Surging Idel

2004 XLS, 201K Miles. V6, VIN 'K' Flex Fuel. 2 Weeks ago the light comes on and gives me a P0193 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor A Circuit High. Nothing seems out of the ordinary so I clear it and go on about my buisness. I was a trip coming up so I forgot about it. Then I start out on my trip...
  11. Reklaw

Steering wheel switch upgrade

For anybody that is following this thread or just finds this thread looking for help. 2 years ago I posted that I swapped out my cruise buttons for the higher trim style. Well, I finally upgrade the aftermarket stereo that I had been using to one that could have control from the factory...
  12. Reklaw

Installing Rancho Quicklift Loaded Struts

RedFord, I also pulled the adjuster knob off on the first one I did but then the second one I managed to get it in without pulling it off. It's been a few days, have you got them installed?
  13. Reklaw

RedFord, I know it's only been a year but I honestly can't remember how exactly they went in. What I actually remember is that after I got that upper control arm disconnected it only took 45 minutes for me to get everything back together. With that said, I just went out and looked at my Ex to...
  14. Reklaw

Inner Tie Rod Boot Loose / Rack and Pinion

2004 XLT v6 with 180k. I had replaced the drivers side half shaft back in the late winter due to a hole in the outer boot and I just recently developed that same type of noise that was indicative of a bad cvc joint. I just crawled under my explorer to change the oil and noticed a lot of oil...
  15. Reklaw

Tow Mirror swap?

I ended up finding Lincoln Aviator mirrors at a decent price and put them on my Explorer. They are mainly taller so still not that great for towing but they look amazing.
  16. Reklaw

Rotational Grinding or Rumbling Noise

Just to keep everyone up to date. I jacked up the rear of my Ex the other day and put it into drive to listen to the rear wheels. Couldn't really tell anything until I held each wheel individually. When i stopped the left wheel from spinning I could definitely hear a noise from the other...
  17. Reklaw

Rotational Grinding or Rumbling Noise

Ok, I know some of you have read my previous posts about a bad wheel bearing in other threads and it has been replaced but i'm still having the same symptoms. The start of the problem was a grinding or rumbling noise when I turned my steering wheel to the left. I replaced the front right...
  18. Reklaw

How common is the wheel bearing issue

@imp I know the bolt attaching the hub assembly are torqued correctly to the knuckle. I may over over torqued the axl nut as the torque wrench I have doesn't go high enough so i set it and then tightened a little more with my breaker bar. It's just odd because I've changed these before on my...
  19. Reklaw

How common is the wheel bearing issue

I know this is an old thread but I am looking for some advice that I probably don't want to hear. I put 2 Moog front bearings on my Ex back in early 2015 and they now have about 60-65k on them. Right front was noisy when i turned the wheel left. I couldn't really put the money out for moog...
  20. Reklaw

P2135 and P2106 together

imp, I wanted to give an update. A week later and I haven't done anything about this yet. I cleared the codes and they haven't come back. Had the wrench come on once last Friday but that was it. I'm gonna keep an eye on it knowing that I will probably need to buy the new TB. I don't want to...
  21. Reklaw

P2135 and P2106 together

I have a good transmission shop locally that rebuilds transmissions with the best parts. I paid about $3100. Best part is that I didn't have to wait for my transmission to be machined because they do so many Explorers that they had one ready to go. Because they rebuild themselves they give a...
  22. Reklaw

P2135 and P2106 together

Before anyone asks, 162k on the odometer. Tranny was replaced last summer.
  23. Reklaw

P2135 and P2106 together

2004 Ford Explorer XLS v6 4.0. Driving down the highway this afternoon from work I notice the wrench light came on but that's it. I was planning on stopping at a convenience store for dinner so I stopped and hooked up my code reader and got these codes showing as pending. Got my food, started...
  24. Reklaw

*****UPDATE****** It appears as though everything has to come apart. I pulled the knuckle from the upper control arm, the tie rod end, and the sway bar link. I then was able to set the bottom of the strut in place with the bolt with the top of the strut outside the upper control arm. Then i...
  25. Reklaw

I tried finding an install thread for these but could not so if there is one I apologize in advance. 2004 XLS V6. My Explorer is currently in the air, in my neighbors garage, because I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the new Rancho Quicklift loaded strut into place. The bottom...
Back