Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 0

Have a 4.6L? Here's a problem I bet you all have...

Yep, found this issue on our '04 XLT Sport summer before last when changing the oil. I saw that the split loom and starter battery wire insulation was missing in a 1/4" circle behind the oil filter drip shield. I covered the mess up and let it alone until the A/C stopped working over the...
  2. 0

Rear end roar-is there a fix?

If you are referring to the ring and pinion epic fail, then our '04 did that also by 35k miles. It was replaced and now is doing it again at 120k. Guess what...it's going to stay howling at 60 mph until it breaks this time.
  3. 0

Fix or sell, or fix and sell?

Fix it and keep it. First strike is you are still owe on it, second strike is the current economic situation and third stike is it's an "evil SUV" :rolleyes: We have an '04 XLT Sport V8 that has 120k on the clock and so far the only issues have been a ring/pinion out back and this year the...
  4. 0

Winter steel wheels for the X...16" or 17"?

1.) The current 17" OE BFG Rugged Trail T/A's are toast, and need to be replaced after a 44,000 mile life 2.) I was looking for a steel wheel/snow tire package for the winter anyway. My question is this: The X came with a 17" steel spare, not the 17" alloy rim like most XLT Sport's that...
  5. 0

now that the snow is flying, how are you liking your tires

Our factory-installed 17" BFG Rugged Trail T/A's are about done with 44k miles, so for the winter I was looking at a 16" steel wheel/snow tire combo from TireRack.com. The Rugged Trail T/A's did okay the last 2 winters, but they weren't anything to write home about.
  6. 0

Chrome wheel caps

Do those caps slip on the lug nuts, like the CV P71 caps? I'm looking at a steel wheel/snow tire combo from TireRack.com, and would need something like this.
  7. 0

Anyone know who makes a good brush gaurd?

What's the part #, and who'd you buy it from and how much?
  8. 0

Hard 1 - 2 Shift - 04 V-8 Explorer

If you are having harsh upshifts, then see about the fluid mistake first but have them re-flash the ECM. The more the throttle is open, the more the timing is retarded at upshift's...more so with the 4.6 than the 4.0. The ECM is doing it's part to save the tranny, so it pulls the timing at...
  9. 0

'02 3.73 LS differential howl

I hadn't googled it until I saw your post, so I did just now. So far, over 90% of the complaints are for things like the speed sensors and rear diff issues. Yes, they are issues nonetheless - but in reading some of the complaints, it seems the people can't handle getting the issues...
  10. 0

blind spot mirror for '04?

I'll third that. I've got the outside mirrors adjusted to cover the blind spots. If I want to see what is directly behind me, I use the inside rearview.
  11. 0

ABS light with 4x4 high?

Rear speed sensor. Been there, done that back in May.
  12. 0

Howling noise and no MAX from A/C

Mine howls once in a while, but only when accelerating from a stop. If I back off the gas, the howling stops or decreases in pitch. If I jump back on the gas, howling comes back. Either way, it stops howling after a few seconds. I'm thinking it's a vacuum line problem with the dampers...
  13. 0

5r55w trans service ?

When the rear diff was rebuilt at 30k, i had the tranny flushed and serviced at the recommendation of my Ford-employed buddy. Their particular shop was doing rebulids and repairs on the 5R55W's alomst daily. The book recommends 30k fluid service intervals, and he strongly recommended that I...
  14. 0

Wheel fell off

Twweet! Penalty...too much BS on the field. Like the others with '04's here, I'd like to see some pics. I've rotated the tires 3 times on ours (40k highway miles), and there's not a hint of anything other than surface rust on anything under the truck after 2 winters of road salt. Anyone...
  15. 0

2002 xls brown wire mod

It's been a couple months....any updates?
  16. 0

Popping/Grinding While Turning?

When ours had less than 1000 miles on it, it just up and died at a stop light about 2 miles from the house. It was cold out, and the truck was cold. Tried to restart it, no dice...turned over, wouldn't fire. I had to bring my car over and push it out of the intersection. Dealer advised it...
  17. 0

It wasn't in the rear end. It was the front end that clunked, and was the clutch packs in the Xfer case that were causing the problem. The front axle speed sensor(s) needed to be re-calibrated. Now with 40k on the truck, there have been no new problems to report. Have the computer...
  18. 0

4x4 Interrupt Wire

Where is the wire on the 3rd gen's? Driver or passenger side? I've seen conflicting information. I need to tear apart the interior for other work I'm doing, so I'd like to tackle this at the same time.
  19. 0

4x4 Interrupt Wire

Have any of the 3rd gen guys figured out if there is a way around the 4x4 light blinking, or do are we forced to live with this and only bypass the TC when necessary? The auto TC engagement really ticks me off if I'm trying to drive the truck hard, or do doughnuts in the snow...since the TC...
  20. 0

Towing questions

What does the tranny cooler look like? A normal radiator-type or is it a plate-type? I have tow prep package with the 3.73 LS, Class III/IV receiver and the PS cooler but haven't seen a tranny cooler...is it under the black plastic shroud above the radiator?
  21. 0

I had a similar problem with our '04 4wd.... at about 20k miles on most left turns and some right turns the front end would bang, buck and make a metallic clunk like it was in 4 low. Turns out it was the front axle speed sensor calibration in the computer. It was causing the clutch packs to...
  22. 0

Shudders and banging from rear end and TC

It's going in for the warranty work shortly, however I know I'm not the first that this has happened to. I just wonder if my case is particularly nasty...?
  23. 0

Shudders and banging from rear end and TC

My '04 Exploder has developed a rear end shudder when doing anything except driving forward in a straight line, like the "trac-lok" unit is staying locked or unlocking too late. If I am turning, backing up or even going between reverse and drive (or vise-versa) the rear end shudders and/or...
  24. 0

Fog light mod for 2003+ ?

I just replaced the foglight assembly's on my 04 XLT (cracked, thanks to car wash) and wondered about a mod to get them to stay on with the highbeams. I searched and found mods for the old body style, but nothing for the '03+ Did anyone do this? if so, can I just defeat a relay or do I...
Back