Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

Braking system is Shot

Just a thought, but have you tried going to Pep Boys. I took my 91 there about 6 months ago to get the A/C charged and it only cost about $140. They also inspected the whole system and put in the dye in case I did have a leak. Maybe it will save you a little moolah!!!
  2. P

A/C went out, help....

I have a 91 XLT and after taking it out on a fairly difficult trail this weekend my a/c no longer functions. I drove back into town and stopped for lunch. When we got back in the truck I started it and turned on the a/c. I drove about 15 feet before I noticed smoke coming from under the hood. I...
  3. P

Radius arm bushings?

Fordcrazy, make sure that you get the poly bushings instead of the stock rubber bushings as they stand up much better to the heat. I found poly bushings at Autozone for $3.99 a piece and installed them myself in about 3 or 4 hours. Really wasn't that hard to do. If the bushings are a warranty...
  4. P

engine knock when I accellerate

In regards to your oil loss, what type of oil filter are you using? The reason I ask is because I was losing oil at about the same rate you are so I posted the problem here. It turns out that the Fram oil filter I was using has a weak drainback valve causing it to throw oil, (I'm not sure this...
  5. P

paint survey

Thanks for the info Jeff, That's exactly what I was looking for. I really want to have a really good custom job done for the same reason you mentioned "get it done right the first time". I've seen some of the paint jobs that places like Maaco have done and I think I could do better with spray...
  6. P

How many miles???

91 XLT with 127K miles and have the same lifter noise until engine gets up to operating temperature. No other major problems with the engine.
  7. P

paint survey

Can anyone tell me what a good custom paint job would cost on one of our explorers.
  8. P

Michelin LTX AT 235/ 75 R 15-

I got mine at Costco for $86 a piece. They were running a buy 3 get one free offer. I really like these tires and they perform well in almost all conditions. I don't know that I will ever change tires in the future!
  9. P

Did YOU have your tranny done by Doug's Transmissions in AZ??? Tell me about it...

The prebuilt tranny with torque converter was $1495 and labor was $675 + fluids. Total bill was $2365.97. I could have gotten a cheaper tranny, but AC offered the best warranty. Also I don't know what they would charge to rebuild your tranny since I got a pre-built? Don't forget that if you have...
  10. P

Stupid EGR question

Grateful11, I found that using a swivel extension right behind the socket helped quite a bit, but you will still need to bring a lot of patience with you when you put the screws back in. Good luck.
  11. P

Did YOU have your tranny done by Doug's Transmissions in AZ??? Tell me about it...

Wabbit, I know of a shop in the Denver area called AC Transmissions located on 704 S.Monaco Parkway that does a great job on rebuilding transmisions. They include all upgrades for the A4LD and offer a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty. I bought mine (pre-built) from them about 8,000 miles ago and it...
  12. P

Monroe Sensatracs

Just wanted to let you guys know that Napa is having a sale on the Monroe Sensatrac shocks. You get 3 shocks @$35 and the 4th shock for free. Also if you have a AAA membership you get an additional $15 of the total price. I just picked them up today and paid a grand total of $95 for 4 shocks...
  13. P

Likely time spent on these upgrades

I know that this post is a little old but I just wanted to let you know that you can pick up the poly radius arm bushings at Autozone for $3.99 a piece. I know it sounds too good to be true but I installed these about a month ago and they are soooo much better than stock. Also, it will make a...
  14. P

Stupid EGR question

SteveVB, you are absolutely right. I should learn not to post any advice before I've had my morning coffee. The part I was talking about was the PCV valve. Doh!! I'm just going to crawl back into my little corner and lick my wounds! Sorry about that.
  15. P

Stupid EGR question

SteveVB, the 91's do have an EGR valve and it's located on the drivers side fuel rail right underneath the vacuum hose octopus. It is the closest thing to the firewall and it actually plugs in to the top of the fuel rail. Grateful11, an easy way to check the EGR valve is to remove it from the...
  16. P

Help quick!! Will start...won't Idle!

Just a thought, but could you have possibly fouled the MAS with oil from the K&N filter? You could just take it out and spray it with carb cleaner and see if it helps any. Good luck and let us know what you figure out.
  17. P

Want to run Synthetic Oil

Switching to synthetic oil will not necessarily harm your engine, but it could cause some minor leaks. Synthetic oil has better cleaning qualities than conventional oil and could clean out old oil deposits that are preventing leaks. Also synthetic oil can leak through spaces that conventional...
  18. P

Fuel Filter Replacement

Well, I don't particularly agree with the manual on several points and this happens to be one of them. However, unless your having some fuel system related problems, I probably wouldn't change it yet. From the searches I did in the past before I changed my filter I found that these things...
  19. P

popping sound in 4wd, 91 2dr

Hi and welcome to the site. I am having the same problems that you are and although I don't have a definite solution I do have some tips that I will try myself. The hubs could be going bad. there could be too much grease in the hubs causing it to slip. The front U-joint could be froze up. Or the...
  20. P

Alternator wierdness?????

Have you checked your positive battery cable for cracks etc.? Might want to check it the entire length from battery to the starter. I know this is a long shot but the positive and negative cables run underneath the the truck. Hope this helps and good luck.
  21. P

Sending out S.O.S to all Phoenix area members

Just think, if I would have let Midas do the work, I would be out about $250 in labor + parts and I'm sure they would have told me they have to replace the radius arm also. Just a lesson to me and to anybody else who might look at this thread, try and do the repairs yourself because 1. You know...
  22. P

MyExploder, thanks for the offer. I've decided not to replace the radius arm. Reason? When I looked under my truck I noticed that with the new bushings and crossmembers installed, the driver's side tire was back where it needed to be. So I guess the radius arm wasn't bent after all!!!
  23. P

Acceleration Problems

Well, I changed the oil and filter Friday with a Mobil 1 filter and I went with Castrol Semi Synthetic oil and my ticking noise is gone!!! Thanks for the tip on the oil filter. I am still going to try to retorque the intake manifold bolts this week and clean everything out. Something else, my...
  24. P

MyExploder, Rick wants to wait until monday night to help me with the crossmember. But I'm thinking I might want to do the radius arm next weekend, preferably sun. Are you free on that day? I'm like you, not a lot of experience with suspension stuff, but what better way to get experience.HeHe...
  25. P

HELP! Problem is still here!!!!!

Have you checked your battery cables. They are routed underneath the truck and exposed to a lot of wear and tear in the under carriage. If you notice any cracks or swelling in the plastic coating they need to be replaced. Check your vacuum lines running off the octopus for any cracked or loose...
Back