Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. I

Has anyone added wireless cell phone charging to their 3rd gen?

Have any of you folks added a wireless cell phone charger to your 3rd gen at all? I've seen some other vehicles with a wireless charger added in some fashion. I have a "vision" but not sure if it'll fully work. Ideally, I'd like to put a wireless charger in that blank spot just below the HVAC...
  2. I

Just joined the 200,000 mile club

Last night while returning home from yet another road trip to NC, my '03 XLT crossed the 200,000 mile mark. I can't take all the credit though...I've only owned it for just shy of 2 years and I bought it with 167,580 miles on it already. It had 2 previous owners...the second owner having owned...
  3. I

Cargo area under-floor storage question

Does anybody know if the latch assembly for the under-floor storage can be obtained separately, or would I need to get a whole new floor panel? The latch for my floor storage panel has broken where the pins hold it in place, so it makes it tricky to get into the storage area should I need to...
  4. I

Front passenger door window seal/weatherstrip

I hope I can explain this without needing a picture...here goes... From inside my '03 XLT, I can hear air coming in while driving. The sound is coming from the passenger door around the window seal or weatherstripping. If I push on the black strip, then it makes it seal up and there's no more...
  5. I

Well, that was weird...

Being off work today and with the weather fairly cooperative (albeit it still a bit on the chilly side), I finally managed to change the oil in both of my vehicles...the Explorer and the Mustang. Both were overdue...the Mustang just crept over the 3K mark, while the Explorer last had it's oil...
  6. I

How to verify speed of vehicle

Hey all...over the weekend I drove past one of those digital road signs that shows "Your Speed" and the sign came up showing I was going 56 mph. There weren't any other vehicles around me at that point, so I'm fairly certain that it was my speed showing. However, when I glanced at the...
  7. I

Rear speakers suddenly not working anymore

I've got another weird one. I'm wondering if there's anything else I can check besides the typical physical connectivity and settings in a head unit that would cause the rear speakers to stop working. This is in my 2003 XLT. Last week I was having issues with the front driver side door ajar...
  8. I

Panic alarm randomly tripped

Last night around 1 am I was woken up by a car horn going off. It only sounded for about 15-20 seconds, then stopped. Initially I thought it was a neighbor's car (I live in a townhouse complex). After the horn stopped, I could see some lights quickly flashing outside. So at this point I looked...
  9. I

Fuel tank capacity - 2003 XLT

Was there any optional "auxiliary" fuel tank option for the 3rd gens at all? I know the standard is 22.5 gallons but was there ever an option for maybe a secondary tank for a few extra gallons? Reason I ask...I'm on my second 2003 XLT 4x4. The first one I owned did have an owners manual and I...
  10. I

WTB: 3rd Gen second row seatback release handle trim (40-20-40 seat)

I'm looking for a good center seatback release handle trim bezel for the 40-20-40 second row seating of a 3rd generation Explorer. I've attached a picture (hopefully) of what I need. My interior is the darker gray cloth interior. Let me know if you have one available. Thanks!
  11. I

Question for those that replaced the rear hatch panel themselves

If anybody purchased one of the unpainted (Dorman or otherwise) hatch panels for their 3rd gen and did ALL the work of replacing it yourself, what kind of adhesive did you use to secure the new panel onto the hatch frame? I've seen a couple videos that show adhesive strips already on the back...
  12. I

2003 XLT No start, everything dead, anti-theft light solid red

First, I'll precede this by stating that I replaced the battery in my '03 XLT this weekend. Did it mostly because the one that was in there was the wrong size so now I've got a DieHard Gold in there that is the proper size for this vehicle. We've had snow yesterday and today so I've driven...
  13. I

Intermittent "O/D OFF" flashing issue

Twice this weekend I've encountered that dreaded "O/D OFF" flashing issue with my '03 XLT. It first happened on Friday as I was on my way home for the evening...I hadn't driven it much that day; maybe put about 30 miles on it and it was flashing on the last 10 minutes of the ride home. On...
  14. I

Options for removing a tailgate dent

I'm wondering if there's any "home remedy" hope for this dent I have in my tailgate. So far I've tried one of those oversized suction cups (hey, it was cheap enough...figured I'd try it at least) and have taken the interior panel off and tried to bang it out from the inside. It seems that that...
  15. I

Explorer badge on front doors...just curious

Does anybody know what dictated which Explorers received the "Explorer" emblem on the front doors? Was it a year thing, a trim level thing, or what? I'm just wondering. I bought an '03 XLT last month and it doesn't have the badges but my dad's '05 XLT has them (I'm pretty sure it does...
  16. I

2003 overhead console

Does anyone have a picture of their overhead console with each of the doors opened up? My '03 XLT has the overhead console with the lights right above the windshield, then the sunglass holder in the middle, and a third door at the rear that drops open...but I just have a feeling that...
  17. I

Picked up an '03 XLT...needs some work...

A couple weeks ago I picked up a 2003 XLT and just took it for it's inspection today. I knew of some issues it has going into the inspection, but they found more. Stuff I knew about: Tires Exhaust Parking brake (doesn't work at all) Additional stuff they found: Upper control arms...
Back