Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. O

Using Overdrive manually?

Still rattling that tranny but as an O/D does provide a different gear ratio the truck does have 5 different ratios to call on - but if it had a true 5 speed auto box (which would have cost millions to develope) we wouldn't all be scratching our heads about O/D and neither would Ford. The...
  2. O

ABS brake problem on my 97 Explorer

Welcome There have been lots of threads about the Explorer ABS system, which seems prone to problems. I've had problems myself but never had the ABS light come on. The pedal and noise - are you familiar with what happens when ABS IS working? - cause this sounds like it is - pulsating...
  3. O

Using Overdrive manually?

It's just another gear that'll cut in when conditions are right, Ford call it the 5th gear of the five speed box (I think that's stretching a point - its a 4 speed auto with O/D, a cheaper solution to developing a 5 speed auto but looks good in the sales literature). According to handbook...
  4. O

Am I the only one who finds their Explorer seat uncomfortable?

Not having memory - seats, not mine - means that after my wife has driven the Ex it takes me about a week to find the right position - and yeah that's not the greatest - numb butt - not you, mine! Had a 97 before this one and always found my knee hitting the ignition - don't have that problem...
  5. O

Fuel tank size?

I've got 75.8l - 20US Gallons and I've paid $140 USD to fill up before now, yes that's right 140$!! Thats' probably why we never got the V8 and no longer get the V6!
  6. O

front wheel bearing noises

Valid DMB but at what cost. In mitigation though I'm sure my car suffered off-side front damage before I bought it therefore felt that this was premature wear on that side due to this. A new stearing rack was fitted early in my ownership as I was fed up with heading for the boon docks everytime...
  7. O

ABS comes on when truck comes to a creeping stop

That's all very true and you should be able to disable it in snow as you need to build up a plough ahead of the front wheels to help stop you. But what will your insurers make of you pulling the fuse on your ABS should you ever slam into somones rear end?
  8. O

Looking at buying 1999 XLT 4x4 Any Probs?

8500 CAD = 6995 USD = 3700 GBP For exchange rates try www.xe.com it's always up to date
  9. O

Looking at buying 1999 XLT 4x4 Any Probs?

Remember its really a four speed auto with an overdrive - though this does a similar job. Check brake pads (I change my fronts every 10k) and discs (fronts every 20k), front suspension rattles. low speed abs activation on good surfaces, faulty electrics. Does seem expensive though.
  10. O

Interesting MPG story...

I find the same, you got to take it real slow not just to get that last drop in but quite a sizeable volume! Handbook says stop on the second click-off, but as you say you don't get far before you're back to 3/4 full. I have a lot of trouble with gas blowing back out of the filler
  11. O

Truck of the Week JoshC 3/15/04

Well sorted - looks very usable when the going nots so tough. Safe return
  12. O

Sticking Gas Pedal

Thanks will have a look when - if - it ever stops raining!
  13. O

95 abs problems

My Ex supposedly had different voltage readings between the sensors (though there was no mention of fault codes) and the ABS lite never came on - yes the Ex always stopped when I wanted it to except when making a right turn at the end of our track so it was real annoying - I hate things that...
  14. O

Sticking Gas Pedal

Sometimes I feel an initial resistance when applying gas. (Stiction - if that term is familiar) It can be easily overcome but needs a definite jab at the gas pedal. No set time when this happens but not at start-up. Any suggestions?
  15. O

95 abs problems

I've had this problem and though the stealership said it was ABS sensors and replaced them I believe set-up and air gap were the cause. Took many trips, even told new sensors were faulty when they failed to solve problem but it was the set-up - started happening after front discs were...
  16. O

Rear Hatch Glass scratched....help

Try jewellers rouge - this may polish out if not too bad
  17. O

front wheel bearing noises

Have to say that $200 was a steal I've just paid $700 for the front off-side to be done! And $8 for a bearing - the box it came in must have cost more!!
  18. O

Another uk newbie

Hi Bill hope your enjoying your Ex
  19. O

Wierd feeling 4 wheel drive

Doubt you have a lot of snow to try it on 813 but take it to the beach or find some good, deep and wet mud and see if you have the same problem. I think not - don't use your 4WD mode on dry or wet black top, unless you like repairing transmissions and want to get to know the guys at your...
  20. O

howdy from the great white north

Welcome from over here. Spent a year running an ice-breaker up the St Lawrence - Belle Ilse to Montreal - always wanted to go to Thunder bay - lucky guy. Got my love of trucks from time spent in Quebec City.
  21. O

97 4WD Explorer Thumping Noice???

I like that stealership thing you got going 410. Is the noise coming from both sides - ask a passenger? Front or back try sitting in different positions though you'll need someone to drive! I've got a knocking coming from my front off-side, which I can make happen when the car is...
  22. O

Two questions

When ever I disconnect the battery I have to re-input the radio security code - otherwise what use would it be? Over here its to stop the radio being taken out of the car. Some of the other radio settings maybe lost as well - I always lose the clock and it's always a right devil to find in...
  23. O

Whats your MPG at 78 mph?

That's US dollars, six years ago and it doesn't have a cd player!
  24. O

Whats your MPG at 78 mph?

Sorry Smiley1 this threads been busy very recently but yeah that's right it can cost - if I'm patient - $140 to fill the tank! Hence the reason Exs were so short lived here, that and the $52,000 price tag. I knew it would be bad when I bought it (I'm on my second) but I just had to have one.
  25. O

What were the differences...

I found the seating position different between my 97 and my 99 - though that would have meant some major changes to a run out model so it may just be in my mind. Power was up slightly, radio ariel changed from whip to retractable, alloy wheels (but we have 16" - 255/70 16 as standard over...
Back