Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Radio that is compatible with JBL system?

Hey folks, My 1992 Explorer's radio has been out of service for six + years and I'm ready to finally have some music. The cassette player locked up, along with a burning smell, and the radio has never turned on since I want to keep the look of the dash original and don't want a modern...
  2. F

What replacement radio will fit my '92 Explorer with the JBL system?

Hey folks The stock cassette radio from my '92 Explorer went out back in 2016. I've been driving the car in complete silence....for.....five......years. I've kept hearing that the wiring is different for mine, equipped with the JBL system, and that the regular Explorer radios aren't...
  3. F

My Explorer Made it to YouTube!

Hey folks, I had the pleasure of having Ethan Tufts, from Open Road, do a review on my 1992 Ford Explorer last month. If you're not familiar with him, he loves oddball 80's and 90's cars, and has quite the collection himself. An Explorer isn't a rarity in itself. But mine being so clean with...
  4. F

Vibration at idle and rough start. Possible causes?

Hey folks, My 1992 Explorer with only 70k miles has developed a bit of a vibration at idle and does sputter upon starting if it's been sitting for more than a day. The truck did just have new lower intake and valve cover gaskets installed by a mechanic right after these issues appeared, so I do...
  5. F

Where to find an air intake hose?

Hey guys, I cannot find an air intake hose at all for my 1992 Ford Explorer. There's a leak and it does need replacing with the rubber becoming non-pliable and cracked. I've looked online on Ebay, Amazon, and RockAuto among others, checked with Pep Boys, and even the Ford dealer. But no...
  6. F

Valve Cover and Lower Intake Oil Leaks- 1992 Ford Explorer

Hey folks, My 1992 Ford Explorer with only 70k miles has been leaking oil for some time and due to upcoming roadworthy restrictions, it needs to be addressed. I took it to my usual independent mechanic and he diagnosed it with dye as two leaks; one from the valve cover gasket and the other from...
  7. F

How Do I Remove the Dash Bezel on a 1992 Explorer

Hey folks, My 1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer is absolutely pristine with only 69k miles. But the dash bezel is beginning to crack and needs replacement. I tried getting a new one from Ford but they no longer carry them. It's ultimately off to the wrecking yard I go. Some of you may scoff at this...
  8. F

First Road Trip in the '92 Jurassic Park Explorer

Hey folks, I bought my Explorer back in July and since that time have converted it to a JP tour car. In those five months, I only drove the truck 500 miles with intention of keeping it well preserved, and as clean, as the prior owners. For Christmas, I did decide to let the Explorer...
  9. F

1992 Ford Explorer Jurassic Park Conversion

Hey guys, I had posted in the new member thread when I bought my 1992 Ford Explorer back in July, 2015. The truck itself was incredible; only 61k miles at the time and no body damage, interior wear, and for the most part, it was mechanically sound. Not only have I loved the first gen...
  10. F

Any Ideas on how to mount lights onto the roof rack?

Hey guys, I’m going to mount some driving lights on the front crossbar of my 92 Explorer’s roof rack. However, I’m not sure how to mount them without drilling holes, which I refuse to do. I don't have the heart! :) Any suggestions or ideas of anything that can grip onto the roof rack...
  11. F

How old are my tires? Are they really 15 years old?

I just bought my 1992 Explorer four weeks ago and while doing the check around the car before buying, looked at the tires. "Yeap, they have plenty of tread and life in them" I thought to myself. In fact, I thought they were almost brand new. They are a really nice set of Goodyear Wranglers...
  12. F

Proud owner of 1st gen Explorer with 61k miles

Hey everyone! About eight months ago, I posted on here while looking for a clean first gen Explorer to convert to a Jurassic Park tour vehicle. You guys were awesome at giving a warm welcome! Well, after months of scouring online and driving to the cold recesses of California, I can finally...
  13. F

Potential Explorer owner and Jurassic Park conversion

Hey Explorers, Awesome site everyone! Ever since I was a child, I've loved Jurassic Park and as a car fanatic, loved the first generation Explorer. I always wanted my parents to buy one after the movie, but no dice. The styling and ruggedness of the original Explorer was always appealing...
Back