Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

How to: Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor

This is a general how-to thread for fixing the transfer case shift motor for the 4X4 models. Many posts on this site have been great sources of information, but pictures are worth thousands of words. I wanted to put something up for people to point others to when they have 4X4 problems. So...
  2. B

T-case shift motor, BW 13-54

Borg Warner 13-54, electronic shift: Pulled the shift motor assembly apart today and was wondering what issues other have had. The position sensing plate (with the large diameter gear in the worm gear drive) has a bushing over a screw on the back of it that acts like a stop. The bushing...
  3. B

Stock Manual Hub Question

Doing some maintenance on the '91 truck today, I pulled off the manual-locking hubs and noticed that there were some metal chunks in the grease. I know where they came from and I removed all the chucks. When you look to the inside of the hubs, you can see an outer snap ring and six...
  4. B

Control Valve Suggestions?

First off, sorry about the cross-post from the General Explorations forum. I'm putting in the cooler for Frankentranny, and I need a little help. I was wondering if anybody knew of an electrically controlled valve that is normally closed and opens with a 12V signal. I've got an oversized...
  5. B

Control Valve Suggestions?

I was wondering if anybody knew of an electrically controlled valve that is normally closed and opens with a 12V signal. I've got an oversized transmission cooler (it barely fits between the headlights and is as tall as will fit- made for a Duramax Diesel) and I'm looking for a valve that I can...
  6. B

How to: Project Frankentranny "AKA" A4LD / 4R55E / 5R55E Hybrid Project - A MUST READ!

[ By Glacier991: As a moderator I have taken the liberty to post a prologue here. What this thread represents is the very best in amateur automotive engineering. What Brain (Brian in real life) has done here is to diassemble 10 years of FORD upgrades to the venerable A4LD...and explain them...
  7. B

How to: Project Frankentranny - A4LD / 4R55E / 5R55E Hybrid Project

This is a current work in progress, so be patient if you think this is incomplete – I agree it is at this point. First I’ll start off with a little bit of history of why I started this project and why it could be useful and interesting to others. I have a ’92 Eddie Bauer that I have...
  8. B

Head Gasket Preferences?

I just bought a '91 XLT (in addition to my '92 EB) yesterday at a police auction, and it said it had a bad radiator. Well, they weren't lying about the radiator - it is toast. It's crimp/seal on the passenger's side blew out. Now I know they usually don't die without a reason, such as...
  9. B

Hello from Colorado

Brain here....My real name is Brian, but the DMV put a typo on my DL and it stuck. Mechanical Engineer by trade. I've had my '92 EB 4x4 Explorer since about '95 and have logged about 70K miles in it. The tranny went out in Colorado Springs when I was on my way (with four other people) to go...
Back