Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. CDW6212R

1999 Mounty 5.0 aka My Great Bad Idea

Hmm, did they go back to plastic fuel tanks? I haven't seen any past about 1999, the few in JYd's were steel from 95-99ish. I got a 99 dented Sport tank for the skid plate and the pump assembly ages ago; that I noticed was the same length as my old 94's 4dr tank. I'd love to have a plastic 22...
  2. CDW6212R

Not unless the pump sock is really full of material. My Mountaineer has rust in the tank, it fouled a new filter in a few months after I replaced it all(sock of course). I have to have a new tank for mine next time I get it running.
  3. CDW6212R

Spray the bolt threads first and be sure you got them good. Put anti-seize on those threads(captured nuts) before putting the bolts back in. Remove any skid plate to begin with, that's separate from the tank R&R. The strap that holds it up you have to lower the tank part way before it will come...
  4. CDW6212R

4R70W Upgrades for towing - Request for assistance.

I believe I have that later EPC myself, I got that early on when I was collecting parts. Now I don't think it's critical to use the higher pressure EPC, most needed upgrades are among the Sonnax VB parts, the J'Mod, and the PCM tuning. Way back when the tuning was not common, the Sonnax parts...
  5. CDW6212R

1954 F100 short bed body onto a 1999 Ranger short bed Chassis

It will work great for all of that. Pigeon Forge has tons of car shows during the Spring/Summer/Fall, I haven't really remembered many by name. My mail route begins with the Convention Center as my first delivery. They had a car show there yesterday, I go into the parking lot traffic for a...
  6. CDW6212R

Ah, thanks, that explains the curved intake, to clear those shock towers. I'd put that with the 302 HO intake, fairly small, good for mild and low end torque, not so good for rpm or power.
  7. CDW6212R

That looks like a 1994/95 Mustang, by the curved part of the upper intake. I don't think a Thunderbird had one like that, but I don't know those at all. My guess was the SN95 Mustang, I've got a wrecked 94 GT with that.
  8. CDW6212R

Is that a Mustang Cobra intake, or just the stock one? I'd forget the tubular GT40 intake, those were asking $750 just for the upper, last I saw one. The Explorer intake flows the same as all of the Cobra models, do that one or whatever your favorite is. I've got a BBK SSI intake I'm going to...
  9. CDW6212R

Blueka's Elite Registry

That's a good engine, just a baby. Mine had 75,450 when I got it, now it's at 152k and needing the trans rebuilt.
  10. CDW6212R

Blueka's Elite Registry

Just hanging out there, it's ready for surgery. How many miles are on the engine, the oil pump? I did all my big stuff when I bought my 99, the oil pump too. Check for any leaks and clean things well, now that it's all open and easy to work on.
  11. CDW6212R

DIY Explorer 302 Headers

That Loctite product sounds most promising. The test would be which one can adhere to the surface the best, and not harden/deform/shrink so it doesn't create a new crack and leak. Will that coated surface scuff much at all with a sand blasting? I wonder if you can get down inside that are with...
  12. CDW6212R

5.0 Radiator interchange?

It is such a small trans cooler anyway, it's a good time to upgrade to a bigger external unit.
  13. CDW6212R

DIY Explorer 302 Headers

That is interesting, it's what I was wondering about if it existed. The 1500* rating is great, but for $121+tax, will it bond to the coated surfaces. If it could be forced in there well, and if it bonds well enough, it could stop the leaking enough to be useful. That merge are is what I worry...
  14. CDW6212R

DIY Explorer 302 Headers

How much of a pocket is there in the collector merge area, can you get into it with anything like a putty to settle into it? I know not much will seal to those outside surfaces, but the leak is in that section you can't get too. Does anyone know of something they'd trust to survive the 99* or...
  15. CDW6212R

Contemplating 5.0L rebuild for mild performance boost

Sorry to hear that the new WP was bad. I have a new Flowkooler WP to use too. I have had a GMB model once before, for my 99 V6 truck. That finally worked fine, but the inlet casting was so bad, it squirted coolant out when new. I had to file the casting edge down, to be even enough for the hose...
  16. CDW6212R

Rent a fuel pressure test kit, and the engine needs at least 55psi, never below that. I had a lean code with my 99 V6 rarely, and early tests showed 55-60psi, mostly with the engine off. Finally one test was 50-52 psi while cranking, and barely 55psi idling. Normal pressure should be at least...
  17. CDW6212R

Ditto, that V6 condenser lower mounting bracket is the key, it will work for any of the Explorer radiators.
  18. CDW6212R

You should be able to use either radiator and either condenser. The freon I wouldn't make the decision over, swap the AC compressor with the swap and pay the minor cost to service the AC. The green o-rings are due to be replaced anyway, simply be sure to state you want that done along with the...
  19. CDW6212R

The AC condenser should swap easily between the radiators, that lower mounting bracket is the difference. So you can choose which you have or like either way, that V6 bracket just makes it more obvious.
  20. CDW6212R

Does the Ranger use the identical V6 radiator as the Explorer V6? If so, that's the best radiator to use, because it does not mount the AC condenser to it. The 302 Explorers have the same sized radiators as the V6 models, only core thickness and condenser mounting differs. So you want the...
  21. CDW6212R

My 99 had the battery cables cut when I got it, a rollover. I reused one cable by adding ring terminals and bolting one end to the frame below the ABS, the other end to the radiator support next to the battery. I used that with plans to add an air compressor in the back, grounded to the frame...
  22. CDW6212R

Check the grounds as you said, it'll be one of them. But I'd bet the battery cables, at this age either corrosion on the terminals or inside the wires will cause that. My 91 Lincoln in the early 2000's didn't get driven much, and often the start was barely or not at all. I cleaned the terminals...
  23. CDW6212R

1997 MM 5.0 TC & WP refresh & ignition system conversion Wiring progressing

The Mountaineer rear hatch trim changed from the first 1997 model, to the 98 version, and then to the 99-01 trim. I know the 98 has holes in the hatch, many, for the trim, I don't think there is any adhesive material at all. I was going to swap my 98 hatch due to rust(from Milwaukee), but that's...
  24. CDW6212R

4R70W Upgrades for towing - Request for assistance.

I believe the changes after 1999 were small items like the VB plate, the removed small reinforcement plate(a bad idea), and the final two(upgraded planetary in 2003/4, plus the JMod built into the 2003+ models). So you can comfortably use any 98+ VB, just install the J'Mod or desired shift kit...
  25. CDW6212R

1997 MM 5.0 TC & WP refresh & ignition system conversion Wiring progressing

All 1998 Fords have the return fuel system, and the three wire connector on the cam synch. The returnless-one line fuel system began with the 1999 Fords, not in the 1998 model year.
Back