Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Wiring or Temp sensor? 97 5.0

I'll give it a look. for $30 I'm trying a sonic device. They were also using the insulation under the hood to make a nest on top of the motor so I purchased some rodent repellant to spray on that. I may buy a roll of the tape to secure the plug I put in.
  2. M

Thanks again for the advice. With the new plug spliced in over the weekend the old girl is running like a champ. Now to keep those mice out of there.
  3. M

Quick update. Longer explanation. Well, it looks like @410Fortune was spot on. Of course, the little buggers nesting under the hood chewed the wires flush with the connector. Small Town Auto Supply didn't have it, neither did NAPA, which is probably good, because I ordered one from the internet...
  4. M

Thanks gentlemen. I'll be out at the farm next week and will pull the coil pack and then report back. I appreciate the insight. m
  5. M

Hi All, Need some help. Our 97 Explorer 5.0 has been in use at our farm and recently the mice chewed through a couple of wires. It's giving me a Engine Temperature Sensor code, but it doesn't appear to be a wire to the temperature sensor. Anyone have any idea what this wire may go to? I am not...
  6. M

96 XLT seat belt repair help

Okay Guys, Here is a fix. Follow the instruction in the video to get the seat belt receiver apart. Also take apart the rear center seat belt receiver as well. Rob the spring out of the rear receiver and put it in the front. Note that you will need to cut out the set belt sensor to get it to...
  7. M

Yes Virginia, there is such thing as an Italian Tune Up

What I did was drive about 100 miles at interstate speeds to get the car up to temperature. On a road that had no traffic, that was flat and otherwise safe, I accelerated from 30 to about 70 with a heavy throttle, then let off the throttle until the car decelerates back to 30. Did this three or...
  8. M

There is compression braking on diesel engines, a Jake Brake, and then compression braking on gasoline engines. Most diesel engines need a compression release to use the engine for braking because the way the engines are designed. Without a driver pressing the accelerator, gasoline engines will...
  9. M

Had some problems with a P401 "EGR Flow" message on my 96 Explorer not clearing and decided to try the old Italian Tune Up to see if that would fix it. So today, I was driving the two hours to the bee yard and once I was off of the interstate and out of traffic started to cycle through a series...
  10. M

5.0L Explorer water pump (broke stud)

Thanks for the reply. After a survey of the motor I've decided to replace it rather than waste any more time working to repair it.
  11. M

5.0L Explorer water pump (broke stud)

Well I'm the latest member of the broken stud club. This is one of the uppers on the driver's side of the engine. Since I can see the whole shaft of the stud and the break is below where the threads start again, I suspect that it is flush with the surface of the block. I'm looking at the...
  12. M

How to: 1st Gen Gas Tank Fuel Pump Access Panel

Look at post 96 and then post 146. In post 96 the pump is aligned with the forward bolt on the seat belt anchor. In 146 it is closer to the back bolt. If I were doing another one I would drill one or two holes to see how the pump aligns with the bolts on the seat belt anchor before starting. To...
  13. M

Final follow-up. The pump is installed, the Ex running, and the fuel gauge doesn't work. I'll piddle with that problem later, but in the meantime I'll use the trip odometer to keep up with miles between fill ups. I made a couple of aluminum panels to cover the holes. And now on to the...
  14. M

Why are these so cheap now?

The wife bought a 4 door V8 Gen II new in '96. A couple of years ago when it flipped 230K she decided that she wanted a new car and reluctantly bought a new Toyota Highlander. The Highlander is wider, has an interior meant for hauling people and not plants, and it came complete with a bunch of...
  15. M

Hello From Austin's Colony

Thanks, Lots to read.
  16. M

I'll post another two photos that are more inclusive: I cut a pretty big hole to start with, but after some thought decided not to cut through the body sub-frame. I also spent some time looking at the photo on the forum and at my installation. It appears that most of the photos before mine...
  17. M

I'm finishing this project today and there are a handful of posts suggesting that this cannot be done on certain Gen II Explorers due to the pump being too far back. The photo below is an example of the problem: The tank on my '96 XLT 4 door is sloped at the front, putting the pump farther...
  18. M

Hello From Austin's Colony

New member from Texas. I've owned a 96 Explorer since new and plan to keep it another 100k or so. Looking forward to some sage advice and hope I can help someone along the way. m Meriden
Back