Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

2016 Ford Explorer vs Jeep Grand Cherokee

My 2014 Cherokee had a ZF nine speed in it. It had all kinds of rough shifting problems and was at the dealer many times. See my previous post. The ZF nine speed transmission was causing numerous issues for some Cherokee owners. Transmissions were being replaced on some vehicles with only a few...
  2. S

2016 Ford Explorer vs Jeep Grand Cherokee

I traded my 2014 Jeep Cherokee for a new 2015 Explorer 4wd back in July. Best thing I ever did. The Cherokee had the infamous nine speed transmission in it. The drive train on my Cherokee was always having issues and had to have numerous software updates to work properly. It never did shift...
  3. S

New owner question about the tail gate

I've got a 15 that I bought in July and it has the manual liftgate. It opens easily and closes easily. I never have gotten a warning light telling me that the rear liftgate is not closed. So yours is definitely got a problem. You should be able to get that fixed under warranty. As far as your...
  4. S

2015 ford explorer

Well first of all welcome to the forum. I also have a new 15 Explorer. Got it in July. I now have about 2000 miles on it. I've got the 3.5L V6 and I've never so far had any smell in the cabin, but if you search the forum there is a large thread about this problem and it appears to be an ongoing...
  5. S

Windshield Cracked / Replacement

When I got my new 15 back in July this year, it had what looked like large "snowflakes" in the windshield at the bottom. I didn't know what that was and neither did the salesman. After purchasing the vehicle I took it to the service department and they told me that it was a defective windshield...
  6. S

Platinum arrived scratched

I've been staring at that picture looking for damage and frankly I only see a very slight panel misalignment. You guys must have better eyes than me. In my opinion look at the vehicle closely after it has been washed and dried. It is hard to see anything with the water drops on it. But I really...
  7. S

Trying not to be angry dealing with Ford Customer Service...

Azgunslinger, it sounds like the forest road you were on was pretty tame compared to the rough roads I took mine on around the peaks in Flagstaff. I really think your dealer is giving you the run around on this. The "road" I had my Explorer on started out as a fairly smooth dirt/gravel forest...
  8. S

I'm Back

Welcome back to the forum. May your new Explorers take you many trouble free miles.
  9. S

Trying not to be angry dealing with Ford Customer Service...

Hey AZgunslinger, I just had my 2015 Explorer up off roading around the peaks near Flagstaff enjoying the fall Aspens. I was on all kinds of dirt/gravel/rocky "roads" and had no problems. My Explorer performed well as expected using the select terrain system. Isn't that what the Explorer is...
  10. S

Off Road Experience With 5th Gen Explorer !

Off Roading in a new 15 I'm posting this in the 2011 - 2016 discussion section because I figured that the guys in the off road section of the forum with their earlier generation Explorers wouldn't take it as serious off roading and I would just get blasted (lol). Well I finally did it. Took my...
  11. S

Traded the Explorer in for this.............

Nice Mustang. I also have a Mustang GT along with my Explorer. The Mustang forum that I am a member of is http://themustangsource.com/ . It seems to be a friendly informative Mustang forum and has been around a while. Enjoy your new ride.
  12. S

View from beneath 2016 Explorer Platinum

TechGuru, as mentioned before, the 2011-2016 Explorer was designed for the large number of people who drive their families on paved roads mostly and sometimes take the vehicle "off roading" meaning driving on a dirt or gravel forest road that may get a little bumpy. It is perfectly suited for...
  13. S

2011-15 vs '16 rear bumper

I don't know if the bumper covers are the same, but why not just get one with the towing package included. My 15 came with the class III towing package. It comes with all the electrical hookups and includes additional cooling. The hitch is hidden behind a plastic black panel in the bumper and...
  14. S

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

Well so far my new 15 built in March of 15 just before they started to build the 16s has no odor when accelerating. I've had it on the freeway going about 75 or so and no exhaust smell at all. I'm at about 1200 miles now. Hopefully it will continue to be odor free. I hope all of you get your...
  15. S

2016 Ford Explorer Problems

Sounds like you have a problem with your service department, not Ford. Some new vehicles will have defects no matter who the manufacturer is. Ford makes thousands of Explorers and some will have problems. If the dealer did a poor job, you need to get with the service manager at that dealership...
  16. S

Average age of 5th gen. owners

Well I'm 68 and my wife and I are enjoying our new Explorer. We just got it a couple of months ago. We love to take it into the high country of AZ and explore forest trails and go to cabins with our little ****er Spaniel Amanda. I also enjoy cruising around town in my other vehicle an 05 Mustang...
  17. S

JP Mobile upgrades

Stic-o, I find it amazing the talent and knowledge that people like you have. It must be great to be able to do all these mods yourself. I'm sure it will look great and be a truly one of a kind SUV when you're done. Please keep us posted with pictures as your work progresses on your project. I...
  18. S

New 2016 Explorer Sport

Nice Explorer. That black looks amazing. Where I live though it would be very tough to keep clean looking due the dust in the air. I really like your garage floor. Makes my concrete garage floor seem so inadequate.
  19. S

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

Thanks Tricia, but I don't have any noise coming from my cowl. It just is not flat on the bottom of the windshield like it should be. I have not brought it in to my dealer yet about this. I will mention it to them when I bring it in for an oil change and see what they say. I'm sure they will...
  20. S

Can someone check their rear view mirror wires?

Meagan, thanks for the offer, but I haven't been to my dealer's service department yet about the windshield cowl. I don't have any noise from it. It just is not flush with the bottom of the windshield. I'm sure they will take care of it. As for the rear view mirror, I think that is the way they...
  21. S

Can someone check their rear view mirror wires?

Yes, I noticed the same thing in my new 15 a month ago.
  22. S

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

I've searched the forum and can't find the actual TSB 15-0143 to print out. I've also looked on line to try and find the actual TSB and can't seem to find it. I would like to print out a copy of TSB 15-0143. The cowl on my new 15 that I recently bought does not make contact with the windshield...
  23. S

Hello

Welcome to the forum. Like the previous poster said, the class III tow package is an option on some of the Explorer models. I got lucky and when I was looking at new Explorers a couple of months ago I found on the dealers lot a new 2015 with all the options I wanted including the class III tow...
  24. S

Debut of 2016 Explorer

At about 850 miles harsh shifts and clunks when shifting. Brought it to the dealer and they did TSBs to update the trans software. This happened numerous times over the year and a half we owned it. It seems I would get harsh shifting and sometimes also such hard downshifts that you thought you...
  25. S

Debut of 2016 Explorer

Based on the info in this thread, I'm glad I just got a new 15 with the six speed. I had to get rid of my 2014 Jeep Cherokee due to terrible transmission performance. It was the new ZF nine speed in that vehicle. It was the first SUV with a nine speed transmission in it. If I may offer some...
Back