Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

High Mount Brake Light Problem

So my sister needed a car, so I permanently "loaned" her my 1994 XLT. She's down in Virginia and apparently the brake lights stopped working. She took it to a shop that replaced the brake light switch at the brake pedal. The main brake lights are now working, but the tech says that he...
  2. B

Wife's Minivan Repair Thread

Sorry-- I guess I'm able to imagine ambiguities hidden to others :confused: Thanks for your help-- I understand now.
  3. B

Thanks! I'm surprised it's dry sanding, but will do. The paint should come in tomorrow, so I may get to this over the weekend. Also, does "in the direction of the blend" mean across the blend line or along it? Brooklyn-- I'm going to try the Duplicolor rattle can stuff for now. As...
  4. B

Monmix-- did you have a chance to ask him?
  5. B

Blacksheep-- I could just Herculine it and call it good. There's something to be said for a scratch-proof mall mobile, but I probably couldn't get the wife to go along with that. Monmix-- that makes sense then why a pro will just redo the whole panel. It's probably easier to get the...
  6. B

Just following your directions-- so thank you! :thumbsup: I'll get some sealer for that seam too. The next challenge will be get the paint so it looks OK. I see that you repainted the whole panel on your X. I don't exactly have a paint booth and a paint guy I can trade-for-trade with...
  7. B

I have no professional training or experience in auto work. Though I've done some pretty big mechanical projects with the help of this site and others, this is the first time I've ever done body work. I meant "professional body-work tools" as a joke-- I ground the sharp edges off of my...
  8. B

Then a quick trip to the auto parts store and I picked up some bondo (Monmix- that's all they had) and some rattle-can primer. I wish I had paid more attention to Monmix's feathering of the primer. Somehow that didn't sink in-- anyway I now have a ridge from primer to old paint that I guess...
  9. B

So there I was, with everything apart and I just couldn't resist-- maybe I'll just give that dent a little push. Then I got out my professional body work tools (LOL) and banged out and sanded the dent (per Monmix's body work 101 thread):
  10. B

As some of you know, I posted an earlier thread about my wife's 01 Town & Country minivan and the damage from a minor accident. I removed the interior trim yesterday morning with the intention of just looking to see what access was like and then putting it back together for another day. The...
  11. B

Wife's Minivan

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it's an 01 Town and Country. I'm going to order the bumper cover and put that on-- with that done, it won't look too bad and I may wait a little bit before I take on that dent. I may have to put some silicone or something in there though because the seam is split...
  12. B

Wife's Minivan

I see my other thread was closed over the heated discussion on the subject :confused: but I just wanted to let you know that those of you that estimated about $1200 were right on the money. The estimate came back at about $1202. That leaves me with $700 over my deductable-- I think I can...
  13. B

Wife's Kid-Hauler Damaged-- Can you estimate cost?

Well, I hope I'm not a crappy driver. Actually, the rear visibility is pretty bad in the T&C. A lot worse than the X which was probably a contributing factor here. Probably why later models came with the rear sensors. Having 3 little kids in the back can be a distraction too. BTW, I...
  14. B

Thanks for all the replies. I'm actually just trying to get some "objective" information on cost since it is insured. I have a $500 deductable and I'm thinking I should just have them pay me the excess over $500 that it would cost to get it fixed and then maybe I can do as mentioned above and...
  15. B

Hi, I know it's not an Ex, but was hoping one of you pros (Monmix maybe?) could take a look at these pics and give me your guestimate of what it might cost to get this fixed. It's the wife's '01 Town & Country minivan. Thanks!
  16. B

3rd gen Explorer Blend Door Actuator Replacement

Bump. I'm sure someone knows the answer to this /\ Thanks!
  17. B

EGR Solenoid Valve

I think the blend door is electric on these vehicles. Other HVAC controls are vacuum activated though. BTW-- what is that "black box" attached to the intake? I was trying to figure that out.
  18. B

3rd gen Explorer Blend Door Actuator Replacement

I'm having the clunking problem too and it is definately the blend door. My question though, is that I remember the 2nd gens had a similar problem, but it was the stub on the blend door itself that would break, not the actuator. Is it the actuator that breaks in the 3rd gens? I haven't...
  19. B

EGR Solenoid Valve

Wow, that is strange. You'd think it would mess up fuel control. I guess we don't have to replace it though. Thanks for the info!
  20. B

EGR Solenoid Valve

I'm trying to figure out a problem on a friend's '03-- it has a whistling sound from under the hood while driving that I thought was from a vacuum leak. I disconnected the vacuum tree from the intake manifold and connected a vacuum pump to each of the lines that go off of it. I was able to...
  21. B

Ford Remote Start Question

To clarify, this is the Ford OEM branded system that was a dealer installed option in 2001. The system was made by code-alarm, but has a big Ford logo on it. So chances are if you have a remote start from that time period, it would be the same system as mine. Thanks!
  22. B

Ford Remote Start Question

I have the older Code Alarm dealer-option remote start/alarm and have a question. The system seems to be in valet mode so it won't arm or remote start. I know where the little button is, but don't have instructions and can't figure out how to turn of valet mode. Does anyone know? Thanks
  23. B

Low cost sniffer

Just curious-- how much vacuum can you get with the window a/c compressor and from a 12 volt unit? Is it enough?
  24. B

Low cost sniffer

I bought a very old TIF model on eBay for about $15 that came with a brand new sensor tip. It seems to work pretty well, though from all the negative comments I've seen from A/C techs, I get the feeling these things work better at home than in a shop environment. I've never had trouble finding...
  25. B

R-12 in R-134 conversion? - Noisy compressor

Right, it enables you to buy refrigerants used for mobile applications only, like R-12. You need a 608 cert to buy R-22 which is usually used in home A/C. There are several "levels" of 608 cert, the lowest being Level I which is for small appliances. Only the lowest is available online, but I...
Back