Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

4WD conversion

Do you have a mind of your own? Just as well some people do deign to post something otherwise you'd have nothing to agree to.
  2. F

4WD conversion

I didn't really want to learn all about how to convert to a 4406, especially as it's not relevant to me because the V8s weren't sold here. Yes, I could have gone to that post and possibly trolled through pages and pages of posts to find the answer, I thought it reasonable to ask a learned and...
  3. F

4WD conversion

It was just as easy to say yes.
  4. F

Burning Smell After Steep Incline

That's right, if you were in 1st or 2nd gear you weren't in OD. A trans cooler is a good idea anyway especially if you tow or work the car hard like that. Not expensive and highly recommended. There could be all sorts of road crud on your exhaust pipe that didn't smell until it got hot enough...
  5. F

Battery Getting Weak Sitting

Check the fluid levels in the battery too, if it's serviceable.
  6. F

Burning Smell After Steep Incline

Could be that at the angle you were climbing at that an oil drip could now hit the exhaust where before on the level it may have missed.
  7. F

AC cold but Compressor is making loud noise

When I first bought my Limited the AC didn't work and the compressor made a loud noise. Turned out the pulley bearing had seized and had broken away from the pulley, the pulley was spinning around on the jagged hole.
  8. F

4WD conversion

Is the 4406 dual range?
  9. F

Wondering

Depends, do they salt the roads in Edmonton?
  10. F

1996 Ford Explorer, 6 cylinder

Yeah, I thought there was one there. Could maybe pull the gearbox out to access it? OHV or SOHC?
  11. F

Light help

Put the old bulbs back in, if that fixes it you have to resign yourself to the fact that the LED bulbs you got are unsuitable.
  12. F

1996 Ford Explorer, 6 cylinder

You miight have to factor in engine removal.
  13. F

Whats the difference?

Replace the rear main seal while the engine is out as well.
  14. F

Chain Tensioners

SOHC, not OHC. If you have a SOHC and it's just started making the noise, replace the tensioners before the damage is done.
  15. F

Replace radiator?

At that price there'd be no regret even if it turns out not to be the radiator. They don't last forever.
  16. F

sticking clutch

I don't don't know just what the slave looks like in these things but I'd guess there's a piston that's worn crookedly in the bore and it hangs up. What about the clutch disc sliding up and down the splines? Can it slide too far and hang on something?
  17. F

97 Mounty AWD 5.0L moaning HELP

I don't know if this is what's making your noise but if your rear diff was dry I'm guessing the damage, especially to the bearings, has been done.
  18. F

1999 Explorer not shifting into 4th/overdrive

My speedo isn't connected because I've got a '99 transfer case in a '97 body so my transmission isn't getting signals to change properly. When it hangs up on a gear I just snick the gear selector down one until it changes then go back up again. You could try that until you fix yours properly.
  19. F

Engine Squeak

It will be your camshaft position sensor. Koda will be along shortly to tell you all about it and what you can do about it.
  20. F

High Idle

If you've had a your timing chains, guides and tensioners replaced with later, better quality parts then your SOHC engine is no longer troublesome and can be expected to go for another 200k assuming you do all the other maintenance. But that dead cylinder has to be a warranty issue.
  21. F

Squeaky Rear Suspension - Can't Figure It Out!

At least you know it's one of those things. I might have done it the same way myself. Imagine spraying one thing, wait 20 minutes, that's not it; spray the next one and so on; turns out 2 hours later it was none of those things.
  22. F

Squeaky Rear Suspension - Can't Figure It Out!

Also anything else that's rubber like the shock mounts. Don't forget the 5th shock. Sometimes the shocks themselves can squeak. Take a look at the spring eye bushes. Spray water on anything you suspect, NOT oil, mineral products degrade rubber. If the squeak goes away for a little while after...
  23. F

Popping on floor when turning

4wd, AWD? I'd have a look at the CV joint as well.
Back