Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

abs problem '01 explorer sport 4x4

pulling the fuse worked for my 97 but you have to fool the computer for the 01 by disconnecting one wheel sensor and the computer will disable the ABS for you,no CEL and you still have speedo.
  2. B

2001 explorer 2dr 4x4 problem ?

4x4 I agree it was my fault,my 97 was so easy I wish that damn rear timing chain had not broken.can this be changed with a different transfer case and what years would work?:(
  3. B

2001 Explorer 4x4 problem Hello and thanks for the response,after checking other forums I've come to the conclusion that Ford screwed up a good thing.My 97 was so much better with 70/30 all time 4x4 with 4x4 high on the fly.My 01 you have to stop and put it in neutral then shift to 4x4 and only...
  4. B

52 views and no answers? OK I'll have to look elsewhere.Thanks
  5. B

Hello,I now have a 2001 explorer I recently purchased and when I select 4x4 high the car feels like the rear wheels are fighting the front wheels and doesn't want to move. My 97 was not like this so what can be wrong?
  6. B

Did i goof

throttle plate was not opened all the way and the stuff I had to remove to get to 1 plug on right bank was a deterrent to other plugs and what I read about that last plug is a nightmare I also removed 1 plug on the left bank. what would normal readings be while cranking and not running?This is...
  7. B

Did i goof

About a 1 1/2 years ago I did the chain cassette and guide replacement.No I did not do the right rear chain,a few weeks ago the engine died and would not start,after a compression test I found I had 60psi on the right side and only 15psi on the left(these are cranking readings)I just saw that...
  8. B

NO START need help only daily driver

Well I used my new scanner and no error codes,Bought a 2000 Saturn for work and grocery getter so I have more time to figure this out,waiting on compression tester set I won for $19.00 on Ebay,better than $30.00 some dollors at Pepboys. Will update when I can. OK finally did compression test...
  9. B

explanations I would not call you a smart ass because you are not aware of all the facts. 1,when I bought the car I also went to Ebay and won the two factory manuals for $30.00,not as helpful as you might think but great price. 2,the OBD2 scanner/reader I won for $51.00 shipped,better than...
  10. B

response to ? no compression tester yet,I used the finger in spark plug hole to verify compression, I have since won a Professional SUPER CAN OBD2 OBD II Code Scanner /Reader also a Kal Multiprobe Logic Voltage Continuity KM2564 probe to check wires all from Ebay And I bought an inline spark...
  11. B

JD BYRYDER waste of time replaced cam sensor and all I got was a backfire,back to the drawing board
  12. B

oh well going to JD BYRYDER tomorrow,I need a car by Tuesday am. Thanks for the replies.I love the X so I will continue to work on it.
  13. B

more answers to people trying to help mechanical sanity fine,fuel filter was not leaking,the leak was in the middle of the X,fuel filter is by engine,wrong CSS so I have to wait until tomorrow to replace that sensor,check engine light went south about a year ago so no cel,The only test tools I...
  14. B

answers to quetions 1,97 4.0 SOHC 2.wife said behind the driver side door towards the middle,I was not there 3.I never replaced the fuel filter in the 5 years I owned it. I was making good money when I bought the X and shortly lost that job so it has been fix what's broken to keep it going,I...
  15. B

add on replaced fuel filter and ckp sensor still no start,next the camshaft sensor:roll:
  16. B

Let me start at the beginning, Wife was on the way home on route 380 when the X died on her, would not start.:roll: and the police pushed her to a lot off the blvd. called AAA and an hour later they showed up but when they pulled the X up on the flatbed gas started gushing out under the X by...
  17. B

Alignment woes

Thanks for the good advice, Will take it back ASAP. Next weekend I'll replace those links also. Damn shoe string budget.:D
  18. B

Alignment woes

thanks Thank you for your response but I really need to know if those sway bar links could cause the off center steering wheel before I call and raise Cain.
  19. B

Alignment woes

After replacing both BJ's on drivers side and lower BJ on pass side I had an alignment done, now steering wheel is off center, I was told both swaybar links are broke would this cause the wheel to be off? also the rf wheel feels like it's skipping when I turn sharp left around at the dead end of...
  20. B

Cam Tensioner or Guide? *pic

Hello. I have my 97 4.0SOHC in process now. 2 questions, Did you take the intake manifold off to do just the tensioner or can I get away with just the removal of the Valve Cover? And was it nessasary to mess with the jackshaft gear? Great Writeup BTW. Chuck
  21. B

help b4 my 97 blows daily to work car

Time to go with exploratory surgery and look at those tensioners. Damn upper cam tensioner parts laying behind jackshaft chain.
  22. B

oil It was 5w30 changed with a performance rated ford oil filter 4 months ago. New question. what would the difference in sound and driveability be between a bad cam chain tensioner and timing chain tensioner?If you ever saw the movie (Flubber) when Fred McMurry flipped a switch to make the...
  23. B

Fyi I use Mobil 1 synthetic:D I'm thinking Timing Chain tensioner
  24. B

valvetapping both sides of my 4.0 SOHC 97 sport with rough idle and bucking at 40 mph smooths out at 46mph oil level and presure gauge shows good. Also going uphill the valve tapping changes to a sound like a fan hitting something. In lite of the uphill change how can I check the oil pressure...
  25. B

How to: Parking Brake Removal and Installation (with pictures)

thanks Was afraid to tackle this but after your post w/pics I might have parking brakes on my 97 Sport after all.:D
Back