Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Rebuilding a 2004 Sport Trac 8.8 axle

Nice project! good find on the 8.8, they're not as easy to find these days as some would lead you to believe. I've swapped a 01 Explorer 8.8 into my 1992 Ranger SAS. I'm running 35's with zero issues. Explorer axles are frequently fairly beat up- many explorer owners weren't exactly passionate...
  2. C

Official Sport Trac specific CL finds, post here to help others...

Time to sell the trusty sport trac! It's time for a little more capable vehicle. Truck is located in Western NY. There's a thread somewhere on here about it, that I admittedly forgot about. https://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/d/lifted-2004-ford-explorer/6337966156.html
  3. C

My 91 Sport

definitely interested in the headlights for my 92 ranger SAS. keepin an eye on this.
  4. C

Wiring up LED light bar

yes it is. that's exactly what mine does. to clarify my setup, I piggybacked off of the high beam circuit through a switch on the dash, to fire a relay which controls 12v directly off of the battery, with an in-line fuse, to power my light bar. now I happened to use a factory ford fog light...
  5. C

Wiring up LED light bar

I don't know about under the hood as far as high beam 12v. I suppose you could go directly off of the headlight harness. Good plan to use it to fire a relay. that's the way to go. make sure you've got an additional in-line fuse on the hot side as well. On my ST, I used a piggy-back on the...
  6. C

2003 Sport Trac Rough/Pulsing Idle on Startup

how long ago did you clean your MAF and IAC? I would recommend cleaning your throttle body as well as swshawaii suggested. That said, it took my truck a while after cleaning the intake components to "figure it out." sounds to me like a fuel/air issue. check out your air filter, and consider...
  7. C

2005 Sport Trac - 20MPG (City)!

Interesting. My truck, with 3" of lift, 33x12.5 tires, ladder rack, custom-fabbed free-flowing exhaust, intake silencer delete, autolite double-platinum plugs gets 13-15 mpg regularly. Seems like no matter how I drive, other than off-roading or towing, I get right in that 13-15 range.
  8. C

First Gen ST owner considering upgrading....

thanks for the input! apologize for lots of questions. I've owned 3 Rangers and a sport trac. They are of course, very closely related, while the 2nd gen ST is very different. I like to know what I'm getting into before it happens. I'm a welder/fabricator, it's in our nature. I thought the...
  9. C

First Gen ST owner considering upgrading....

howdy y'all- I've got a 2004 ST 4x4 with nearly 180K on the clock. My wheezy 4.0 v6 is death-rattling worse, it seems, every day. As such I'm considering selling it before the miles get too much higher and the timing chains let go on me. I love the look of the 2nd gen trucks, but have some...
  10. C

2002 Tires Cupping

I have bf goodrich all-terrain ko2s on my 2004 ST. in 33x12.5 flavor, some funny wear and road NVH is to be expected. that said, with about 25,000 on them, I've been very pleased. I use them year round in rural western NY, and have been thrilled with how quiet they are on the road and how...
  11. C

Transmission drain plug

the part you're looking for is known as a piggyback drain plug. I have one. Installed properly, they work just fine. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/needa-parts-transmission-oil-drain-plug-piggyback-1-2-20-65241/9110147-P?searchTerm=piggyback+plug#fragment-1
  12. C

Will 04 wrangler rims clear?

unlikely that 15" aluminum rims clear the calipers. some do, most don't. hard to say until you try. jeeps of that vintage have the same bolt pattern, so no worries there. however, most jeep rims have a higher backspacing that result in a narrower track width on rangers/explorers.
  13. C

CrankyJew's 2004 Sport Trac

i thought the intake gasket issue was for job 1 and older motors?
  14. C

got my tailgate painted a couple weeks ago! No more junkyard truck look. trac was having some trouble on cold starts in the morning. sputtering, crappy idle, would die on me sometimes, sometimes I could get it to rev a little and stabilize but it was a fight. no issues once warmed up and...
  15. C

Leaf spring front eye polyurethane bushing

none of the other threads mention replacing the front eye bushing with a poly one, specifically. nobody's done this??
  16. C

is this motor swap possible????

what they said. 3.0 vulcan.... why would you want to?
  17. C

Leaf spring front eye polyurethane bushing

hey yall- been after polyurethane bushings for my leaf springs. the rear eyes and shackle/frame ones I've got, no problems there. the fronts... I understand the ST springs are unique. Found the rubber encased version (here) but I'd rather go polyurethane all around. Can't find anyone that...
  18. C

the trac's been working! mobile welding rig.... crappy old culvert...
  19. C

alternator crapped out on my yesterday. trucks been running well otherwise! I have poly leaf spring and rear sway bar link bushings that I'd like to do soon...
  20. C

05 explorer XLT instrument cluster shorting out

have your alternator and battery checked, it's free. one of these on it's way out could cause what you're describing. that being said, it sounds to me like your cluster needs to be rebuilt. all the things you're describing are connected, believe it or not they are in fact controlled by the...
  21. C

coil over shock conversion on my 02 ST

Do you plan on eliminating the torsion bars entirely? Once your weld up beefier lower mounts. Is the upper shock mount appropriate to hold the weight of the truck?
  22. C

my trac

that tire size equates to 31x10.25... you shouldn't have any clearance issues. that tire wear looks like an alignment issue. seems like a common issue with RBVs. Go to a high quality shop for your alignment after you do your torsion crank. make sure they check the camber cams on the top control...
  23. C

they sure are. people that don't know already ask about my truck all the time. replaced both lower ball joints (with the new moog design) and my right CV shaft this past week. My outer boot had perforated and slung grease everywhere. Interesting, my shop service manual says the lower ball...
  24. C

decided to forget re-calibrating the speedo and just live with it. i live in an area where everybody speeds consistently, so if i'm a little over it'll be ok. tracs doing well. was noticing some grumbling noise turning recently. with the amount of wind and tire noise i get from the lift, ladder...
Back