Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

clutch slipping, recommendations?

I've never seen the use in resurfacing a flywheel. For one thing, you can get aa new one for what 99% of shops are gonna charge for that service. Second, resurfacing could cause the pressue plate not to fully engage. As it is, the plate is only pushed down like 3/8" at the most. Resurfacing...
  2. S

Hood release cable broken - With Fix

Damn, I hate when my nuts get stuck in a cavity. My suggestion: lots of lube.
  3. S

M5r1 vs M5r2

Yeah it took me 2 houra on the dot to rebuild it twice essentially. I put one of the sliders on backwards and had to take it all apart to fix it (doh!). Also I don't have any press or bearing splitter so that added a lot of time on there. No frickin way that's a 6+ hour job for a pro with all...
  4. S

Shifting into 4wd and 4wd low range without transfer case

4 wheeling without a TC. i lol'd thanks
  5. S

And yeah the bolts thread into the manifolds.
  6. S

I tried the get the tranny off my 4.0 last week with the exhaust connected and there just wasn't enough room, then I had to remove it with the tranny sitting on stands. The first time I took it down (about a year ago) the exhaust bolts were a real ***** to get off. Lots of penetrating lube and...
  7. S

Transfer case or Front DS?

did you check the hubs?
  8. S

What did YOU do to your Explorer today?

Got my tranny baack in. The master ended up leaking so I had to replace that too. All working good, even tested 4wd. Just need to get the interior fixed and shes good!
  9. S

First M5R1 Rebuild Problems

Well of course I had to jinx it. Got everything back in there and went to try the clutch... master cylinder starts spraying fluid everywhere. Getting a new one in today -_-
  10. S

M5r1 vs M5r2

I just finished rebuilding the m5r1 from my 4.0 Ex using the parts from a 4 cylinder Ranger's m5r1. Yes the gears are way different as well as the shafts themselves. I tried to use the gears and countershaft from the ranger tranny and it all seemed well until I tried to bolt the bearing...
  11. S

What did YOU do to your Explorer today?

Well for the last week or so I've been rebuilding my M5R1 tranny. Finished the rebuild successfully yesterday and today I attempted to throw it back in with no luck. After a couple hours of wrestling with it I was totally worn out and decided to back off for the day. Having a lot of trouble...
  12. S

Success! No more problems here :thumbsup: I ended up getting a used gear from midwest transmission for 55 bucks. Never figured out why it wouldn't work with that other set of gears but now it has most of the original parts back in it. It's all tight and working smooth as a whistle. I used...
  13. S

ExplorinVA's A4LD to M5OD Swap Thread

You wanna bleed that clutch line before you install the master cylinder. You need to bleed the line with the master upside down or it will catch an air bubble in it.
  14. S

Another Clutch problem on this forum

Yeah the first time I took my tranny down I used a couple small screwdrivers to get the line out. The new slave I put in came with a quick disconnect which is much easier to get off.
  15. S

PDF Tranny Manuals

i pm my email to you, i need m5r1 please
  16. S

Another Clutch problem on this forum

If you do bleed the line, you need to take the whole master cylinder out so you can flip it upside down and bench bleed it. It's because the shape of the master cylinder traps an air bubble in it. If the last guy bled with the master in place it will have air in it. An easy way to test the...
  17. S

01 mountaineer v8. AWD or rwd?

yeah you were on the right track though cant be awd if theres no shaft to turn those wheels :p
  18. S

I found a better view of the M5R1 (M5OD-R1)

High resolution exploded view of the M5OD-R1. Enjoy! :salute: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4UBHFVetJe8ck5ZOGJ6OW5RNU0&authuser=0
  19. S

[M5OD-R1] Did I screw myself? and other questions about M5OD-R1 transmissions. (pics)

Yep you guys were right. I took a closer look at it and the springs snapped on both sides where it goes into the hole.
  20. S

imgur.com/a/J0aRy So I'm rebulding the M5R1 from my 1991 4.0 Explorer. My rebuild was looking good up until I started putting the output shaft together. I found the needle bearing in 2nd gear was totally trashed. The gear looks like this: And this is the old bearing: I got a new needle...
  21. S

[M5OD-R1] Did I screw myself? and other questions about M5OD-R1 transmissions. (pics)

Thanks to advice from rb142 I was able to get that last bearing off by whacking on the driveshaft with a wood block. Here is the trouble making bearing: And here is the hub and the key that popped out of spot: That key has a gouge on it from trying to wrestle it back into gear I guess...
  22. S

Does anyone know a way to get this bearing off cleanly in the garage?

Yep that's the bearing I'm trying to get off. Maybe I'm not understanding right but I don't understand how that will make the bearing come off. I guess it's the impact from all the weight above it? I'll give it a whack (heh) tomorrow. Thanks!
Back