Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike

My sport came with the Hankook Optimo H426. I've driven with them for the past 2 years and I am NOT impressed. Traction is poor in all conditions, but especially wet snow and ice. They are also a very short life tire, which I've honestly started to look at as a positive thing as I won't feel...
  2. J

2017 Ford Explorer Sport issues already

2015 Sport purchased in Feb. of '15. 25,000 miles and 0 issues (other than MFT being a dog.)
  3. J

Maximum Speed Control Setting

And that setting is tied to a fob (or key, not sure if it's keyed ignition) so maybe you were driving with a different key/fob combo before?
  4. J

Heated and cooled leather seats ?

Has anyone replaced the old fuzzy filters with the new 'lifetime' style? I'd be interested in hearing if it's possible. There seem to be two hindrances to the cooled seats in my '15. They work well if it's 80 and in the shade, but if it's 90 and sitting in the sun they do take a long time to...
  5. J

EcoBoost?

I will echo the suggestion to test drive both, but you're smart to do your research first! I usually know more about the vehicles I'm looking at than the sales guys by the time I get to the dealership. Two things folks haven't mentioned... Gas mileage has been (in my opinion) VERY good to me...
  6. J

How to: New Forscan Update Allows Module Programming

That's all encouraging on the double-beep! And I know the tricks that are supposed to make it not beep, but honestly it's most annoying when the key IS in the car. Probably happens to me at least once a month. The Ex starts normally but I get the double beep and 'no key detected'. I'd rather...
  7. J

How to: New Forscan Update Allows Module Programming

Can Forscan read the tire pressure? I've been looking for something to do this from my phone since Ford was lazy and didn't make this data available on the dash (like many other manufacturers now do.) The other big ask would be to disable the horn beep for no key detected! I suspect that's a...
  8. J

18" vs 20" wheels?

Runflats, in order to life up to their namesake, are MUCH stiffer and can't absorb as much of what the road throws at you. In my opinion they belong on vehicles with suspension designed for them.
  9. J

Anyone ever dump their EX Sport due to their commute to work?

I definitely saw an mpg improvement after the first 1k miles on my sport. Others have reported the same. I wouldn't sweat it yet. Keep in mind that if the rest of your trips (non-commute) are short that'll always drag it down. The 30 minute graph is educational there. Good luck!
  10. J

Anyone ever dump their EX Sport due to their commute to work?

My best advice for Pup and anyone else changing their driving patterns is wait and see! I average around 19mpg in my sport long-term (including warm-ups in the winter and a LOT of short trips since I don't have a commute) but I'm often pleasantly surprised to get over 20 on trips, even 22-23...
  11. J

Explorer Sport - fuel?

Also note that the engine will adjust to LOWER octane nearly immediately when knocking is sensed but it will be slower to adjust for a HIGHER octane. There have been other conversations on what will cause the engine to readjust to higher octanes but it sounds like resetting the ECM (by...
  12. J

Explorer Sport - fuel?

What the FTC says is correct but isn't the whole story. High octane fuel will have no added benefit if your vehicle is not timed for it or cannot adjust its timing to it. The EcoBoost engine in the sport IS capable of adjusting its timing to take advantage of higher octane fuel. It will do it...
  13. J

Ford Extended Service Plans (ESP)

Right, I knew about that. Chevy does it differently and I bought my ESP from them the day before my factory ran out, but honestly it makes more sense the way Ford does it. I'm hoping to have my loan paid off in about another year so if I can wait to buy the ESP until then it'll be easier to...
  14. J

Ford Extended Service Plans (ESP)

I noticed that some of the sites ask how long you've owned the vehicle with options for "Less than 12 months", "12-36 months" and "More than 36 months" but there doesn't seem to be a price difference between the less than 12 and 12-36 options. So does it matter if I buy the warranty within the...
  15. J

Battery Tender Use on 2014 Esplorer Sport

WG, I think you'll be fine. I use a battery tender on my convertible all winter long. The tender (at least the one I have) will detect the voltage and charge, then go to trickle when the battery is topped off. Even in charge the current is fairly low (mine is 1.25 amp.) These are the two...
  16. J

3.5 Ecoboost slow engine warmup

You are right that the thermostat is a dumb device. A simple coil that opens a valve at a certain temperature BUT the ECM can and will throw a code if it senses (via the temp sensor) that the engine isn't heating up quickly enough. I have seen this happen on a VW and yes, replacing the...
  17. J

Horn Beeps On Exit

I'd be interested in getting rid of it too if it's possible. Does the Police Interceptor do it? Or is it even available with keyless? Just a thought.
  18. J

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

I doubt it. Joining two dissimilar metals seamlessly would be difficult and expensive. I don't see why they would do that. Don't believe me (or others, or Ford)? Then prove us wrong. Grab a magnet and see if it will stick to any part of the hood.
  19. J

Buy or not buy the ESP premium care plan

Really? I'm surprised. That's not how Chevy does it. Theirs start at the warranty purchase date. Of course that means they are cheapest if you buy them with the vehicle and every year after that the cost goes up. It would make more sense if it was based on in service and total mileage.
  20. J

Disable LED Signature Lights

Not sure if it's practical for JT, but would setting the parking brake work for the drive-in? It usually shuts off this type of thing.
  21. J

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

For what it's worth, I'm approaching 10k miles on my '15 sport and have not had the smell once. Plenty of hard acceleration, spirited driving, etc.
  22. J

3.5L Engine Oil Capacity

BJs Wholesale has 6 quart cases usually for around $36 around here, but a few times a year it goes on sale for $26! I start watching a couple months before my changes (I do once a year usually with about 8k miles) and grab it when it's on sale.
  23. J

MFT SYNC 3.8 SIRI Eyes Free - Avail. on SYNCMYRIDE.COM for 2011-2015 Explorer

I think I remember reading that if you run a vehicle health report it will report the current version of MFT. Might be worth a try.
  24. J

Aside from your '11-'16, What is your "other" car/truck

2005 SSR, 6 liter V8, 400hp Might not outrun a Lightening (or it might), but then again a Lightening can't go topless! :)
  25. J

Ran out of gas today!

For those who may have the 'mobility kit' if it's like the one in my Chevy the sealant will have an expiration date on it. When mine expired I chucked it and bought a couple cans of fix-a-flat (which I should probably now check for an expiration date.) But the compressor is a nice, handy thing...
Back