Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

High Mileage SOHC's Explorers

I've decided to sell my Explorer. it runs and drives, but no compression in No. 1 cylinder after the rebuild. Most likely bent a valve. No noises. Compression is 180-190 everywhere else. email me at : garykipfer@aol.com if interested. I would like $500 for it but we can deal. I'm restoring a 69...
  2. G

Congrats! That shows how well it was built, and how well it's been cared for!
  3. G

WOW, I'd change the tensioners very soon!!
  4. G

How much did the engine cost? I may go that route instead of selling my 98.
  5. G

How much did the engine cost from Chatsworth?
  6. G

You may have a leak in the intake(gasket/Oring). that will give the same lean code and slight misfire. OR it could be a bad/weak coil unit.
  7. G

I have 213,947 on my 98. I've replaced the Alternator, water pump, front wheel bearing assemblies, and the timing chain cassettes. Now I have a slight miss at idle. I put it for sale on craigslist for $1000 yesterday. I had the tranny rebuilt at 186,000. garykipfer@aol.com
  8. G

Removing timing cover on 4.0 OHV

Fast Dave, Sorry I didn't explain that point very well. Yes, I have the SOHC version. I haven't figured out how to post pictures from my computer yet? It's not the same process as the other ford truck forum I visit.
  9. G

STP oil Treatment and SOHC timing chain rattle

Has anyone changed over to a high volume oil pump and had better (or worse) chain noise? It seems that if the oil flow was better, the front tensioner would build up pressure faster.
  10. G

At 10:30 AM, I started the process of removing the parts from the front of the engine, alt., fan, rad., water pump and I loosened the bracket for the PS & A/C pump. I got all the timing cover bolts out and removed the crank pulley. That pulley bolt was on there way to tight. I used an 18" long...
  11. G

Fast Dave I have the same leak in the same place as yours. If it ever stops raining here in WA, I'll get to doing it. Thanks so much for all of the info. I didn't want to pull the engine. I will get the ford gasket too! My explorer has 215,00 on it and still doesn't burn any oil (always Mobil1)...
  12. G

Coolant leak from timing cover??

I have a 98 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC, my leak is also at the timing cover-on the pass. side. Mine leaks each time I exceed 2000 rpm( which is very easy). I added some leak stop stuff too, it slowed it down a little. What a dumb design to have to pull the ladder frame(oil pan) to take off the...
  13. G

High mileage 98 I have a 98 XLT with 214,000. Runs great. I have replaced the water pump and the alternator (after a dummy hooked up the cables wrong and tried to start his car) but that's all.
Back