Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Transmission troubles.. Convert 4x4 trans and transfercase in a 4.0?

I was hoping to just make a stand alone controller for the 4x4 with some relays and a couple switches. Is this out of the question? I have some experience doing electrical controls. If this isn't an option can you point me towards a standalone that would work with that transfer case?
  2. J

I didn't install a clutch pedal, truck was already a manual, I just put a 4x4 trans / transfer case into a 2wd truck. Clutch switch is wired in already, there doesn't seem to be a neutral safety switch on the new trans, there was on the old one but I really don't need this, I have experience...
  3. J

Transmission is in, everything is bolted up, I am not used to driving a vehicle with a fresh clutch, haha it really grabs. Now I need to figure out the wiring for the transfer case to give me a 2 low in the meantime until it is converted to 4x4 completely. Manhandling in that trans and...
  4. J

My friend and I got the trans bolted up today, we did it with the transfer case attached, that was way heavier than pulling the old 2wd trans. My truck is not an automatic, it is a manual. I am only doing conversion to a transfer case for now, I will do a full 4x4 conversion at a later point...
  5. J

Change Wires when Changing Plugs? Broke Wires Again.

I lose about half my wires whenever I pull the plugs as well. The heat kind of glues the plastic in the boot to the plugs, making it really difficult to pull them.
  6. J

Shiny transmission. It took 3 hours for my friend and I to pull it, it should have only taken an hour and a half but pick n pull doesnt allow you to use any kind of jack because lawyers... this includes transmission jacks. So they don't let you use something to make the job safer, because they...
  7. J

So I just got my headers that I welded up put on my 98 mounty, sealed up, no leaks from headers, then the transmission on my 4.0 manual started making a grinding noise when in every gear except 4th. I pulled the tailhousing and swapped the rear countershaft bearing, the noise quieted but did...
  8. J

Cracked driver side torque monster, and massive welding failure

What kind of gasket should I get for the little flange in the middle of the front driver's side tube that unbolts (the one that is unbolted in my paint pic) a thicker than original gasket would help the holes that bolt to the heads line up with the other 3 ports, and the orignal gasket was...
  9. J

Cracked driver side torque monster, and massive welding failure

Got a new (to me) mig welder, I went a different route than 97sandbox. I figured it couldn't leak if there was nowhere for it to leak from. Welds arent pretty but it doesn't leak, hopefully it doesnt crack when I run it for a while. Welded it using co2 argon mix as shielding gas. I was able...
  10. J

DIY Explorer 302 Headers

thanks, I saw a bunch of different ones for ford v8s
  11. J

DIY Explorer 302 Headers

Which remflex gasket?
  12. J

DIY Explorer 302 Headers

Since there is a lot more activity here than in my torque monster repair thread, I hope it is ok to hijack it for a bit. I followed advice from this forum and bent my headers back, not perfect but pretty good, with an acetylene air torch and a piece of steel bolted to them. I filled in between...
  13. J

302 oil pressure

I put in a motorcraft oil pressure switch and drove the truck a few times, no bouncing pressure gauge at idle anymore. Truck still sounds great. Hopefully that was it! I think the issue was a chinesium sending unit from auto zone. Don't cheap out on the sending unit.
  14. J

DIY Explorer 302 Headers

Flux core wire might penetrate better too? I don't have much experience with mig, I have a mig I just bought out in the garage, but I am waiting on a part to repair it before I get to play with it. I do know with stick welding you can use 6011 rod to weld over rust and get a decent penetration...
  15. J

Leaf spring pack upgrade

One thing I didn't mention, I added oilite bronze bushings to my shackles and anywhere else I could when I did my leaf spring conversion. I don't think it was necessary but I had the idea and implemented it. It works well enough.
  16. J

Upgrade to High Output Alternator?

I have a 250 but I also have a big inverter and 2 extra deep cycle batteries that are isolated except when engine is running. The inverter can be used to give 120 to the camper even with the truck off then the alternator will charge all the extra batteries as well as the camper batteries while...
  17. J

Leaf spring pack upgrade

A while back I thought it would be a good idea to put about 2000 lbs of deep cycle batteries in the back of my mounty. I got a good deal on them! lol. I ended up using most of the proceeds from reselling them to buy new f150 leaf springs to replace the ones that I practically inverted driving...
  18. J

302 oil pressure

owners manual indicates 5w30, I have always used full synthetic, usually mobil one. I still have the issue of it flickering with the shell rotella 15w40, I will try a motorcraft sending unit instead of the duralast one.
  19. J

302 oil pressure

it is light brown now after driving from TN to CA towing a camper. When I had 5w30 in it the oil pressure indicator would flicker at high rpm and at idle, when I put in the shell rotella 15w40 it stopped flickering at high rpm, just at hot idle, especially at high elevation, which it idles...
  20. J

302 oil pressure

I have been having the oil pressure indicator on the dash go on and off at hot idle when in gear. The check gage light cflickers on and off as the needle on the "oil pressure indicator (switch) bobs up and down, however this really happens only at hot idle after the truck has been under load...
  21. J

DIY Explorer 302 Headers

I just picked up my oxy acetylene rig from an estate sale, 2 regulators, a torch, a bunch of welding cutting and rosebud tips, and 2 hoses for $120 so might want to watch those, they have an app (estatesales.net). I check most weekends and end up going to sales maybe a few times a year when I...
  22. J

DIY Explorer 302 Headers

Oxy acetylene torch with flux to do the silver solder. It should withstand the heat. The hard part will be getting them clean, enough to silver solder.
  23. J

DIY Explorer 302 Headers

Have you thought about silver solder to fill the holes? Just a thought that passed my mind the other night in a dream, lol. I am having some of the same problems you are with my set of torque monsters.
  24. J

DIY Explorer 302 Headers

You can do what I did and just throw a factory manifold on one side while you get things worked out. With my 3 inch body lift swapping out the driver's side manifold is about a 1.5 hour job total and I'm slow. you just have to unbolt the brake booster and steering shaft to get a header in and...
  25. J

1998 mountaineer has external egr, correct?

So, I pulled the upper plenum from another 98 explorer, and I realized when I got back mine has the passage in the block for the internal egr, but has an external egr coming off the torque monster, and the passage going to the internal egr is blocked off in the throttle body. Was this a...
Back