Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Slightly Modified-1991 Explorer 4 dr 4x4 Build

Disc versus drums definitely have a different pressure requirements. Drums also have a residual pressure so they are always dragging just a tiny bit. On most of these, both 1st and 2nd Gen, the bias is done in the ABS module. Some guys have used the drum MC and haven't had any issues. The...
  2. J

Engine swap? Or drivetrain swap?

Sounds like it could be an interesting project. Going the donor vehicle route will be much simpler, but don't under estimate the amount of work. Modern F150s are electrically complicated and the ECU talks to EVERYTHING. If you don't have emissions testing in your area, it may be easier to get...
  3. J

94 EXPLORER 4x4 MODIFICATIONS HELP

Lift and 33s is a good start. Some have relocated the ECU which is behind the passenger side kick panel, but not much else. I haven't had any electrical issues with mine as a result of mud and water.
  4. J

two solenoids

The relay is what sends power to the starter assembly, both the motor and the solenoid. The solenoid is there to make the spur gear in the starter engage with the flywheel. Usually it the starter motor that goes, not the solenoid, but it's not unheard of. Doesn't the starter spin when you...
  5. J

My 94 Won't start

I've had issue with relays failing. Specifically the fuel pump one. You could try just swapping the fuel pump relays with one of the others. Any of them in the power distribution box EXCEPT the PCM Power relay would serve as a decent test. You can have someone turn on the ignition to the run...
  6. J

Dome light and tach on '92 Explorer

If you've got a volt meter, you can check for voltage at the bulb. The other issue could be the ground for the dome light. It's grounded direct to it's bracket and then screwed into the roof, there is not ground running back to the switch. Not sure they are related either, there doesn't...
  7. J

New engine, first startup problems.

I wouldn't worry about the oil pressure, that thing's essentially an idiot light in gauge form. Dumb question, did you put the thermostat in the right way? If you install it backwards, the heat and pressure just forces it closed and it won't circulate coolant. These things are notoriously...
  8. J

91 Vibration problems

Based on that any your original post, I'd say it sounds driveline related. Somewhere between the transmission and the rear end. Drive shaft phase is that because these have a 2 piece drive shaft, if you separate the slip joint in the middle, you have to make sure that the ears on the yokes on...
  9. J

91 Vibration problems

Is it more or less noticeable while coasting or under power? If there's a difference, good chance it's driveline related. Could also be related to wheel alignment. If the caster is out of spec it can cause vibration in the front end. The TTB is notoriously hard to align, especially when...
  10. J

Sway Bar Opinions

I'll echo what MrQ said. I tossed my rear sway bar when I did the SOA. Barely noticed it was gone. Even had rear shock mounts break and not notice it significantly either. I would go short distances on the highway without the front sway bar connected, but preferred to have it connected.
  11. J

Need help with 4x4 issue

Doesn't sound gearing or hub related. Sounds transfer case related. Though if something was slipping in 4H I'd expect some crunchy grindy type noises.
  12. J

1993 Explorer XLT, looking for modification ideas

For the hubs, it depends on how crazy you get. Typically they get gummed up and stop working. Or you inadvertently over grease them and they gum up and won't engage. If you're hard on your truck with big tires etc, the manual hubs are stronger though. For any lift, if you're trying to keep...
  13. J

Brake Master Cylinder Differences Explained (with Pictures and Math!)

Seems like there's pretty much a generic Ford bolt pattern when it comes to master cylinders. As long as you can get the pushrods adjusted to the right length, you should be able to use pretty much any MC with any booster. The only downfall I found with using the larger diameter F-250 booster...
  14. J

SOLVED + TRUCK PICS: Truck Starts On Ether, But Wont Stay Running?

If it's bad gas you could have stuck/bad injectors. One of the tests is to connect your fuel pressure gauge, turn the key to the run position to pressurize the system. Disconnect the fuel pump relay and try to start the truck. You should see the fuel pressure drop as you crank. I've found...
  15. J

Ecoboost first Gen?

The Explorers are the 3.5L twin turbo V6. Same basic Ecoboost as they put in the F150s. But it looks like the tuning drops the torque in the Explorer version substantially from the F150. Certainly would be a fun idea. You might be hard pressed to be able to use the official Ford ECU without...
  16. J

Explorer 93 correct ECU

One of ways to check whether the engine is batch or sequential is by the wiring harness.. On the right hand (passenger) side of the engine there are two connectors on the harness. Batch fire ones there will be one 16 pin square connector and one 8 pin round. For sequential there will be two...
  17. J

93 Ex - 4.0L Swap for a Crate Engine?

There's so few option for the 4.0. My opinion is that to spend a couple grand on mods for the 4.0L and then to still desire more, you're just going to end up with a 5.0 or something else anyway. Personally I'm not going to spend anything beyond regular care and maintenance on my 4.0L. If...
  18. J

Are These Headers Legit?

Seems odd. I don;t think there are ANY differences in between exhaust components fro 2WD vs 4WD models. Only 2dr vs 4dr. Even at that, the mainfodls and Y -pipe are the same. The differences are only after the catalytic converter.
  19. J

Help! 92 explorer 4.0L cranks but wont stay running

Have you pulled codes from the ECU? You can do it by jumpering a couple wires together and reading the dash light. But a $30 OBD1 code reader is very convenient
  20. J

long radius arms

You should look for Ranger stuff. Not many companies list it for Explorers, but they do fit. The skyjack RA153 Radius arm kit will work. It includes the frame side brackets which actually replace the stock transmission crossmember. Not cheap though...
  21. J

Brake Master Cylinder Differences Explained (with Pictures and Math!)

I think you should be fine. The stock units with ABS (as far as I know) have the pressure reduction in the ABS module itself. As long as there's no pressure reducer on the MC itself, it really shouldn't matter which port goes where. The pressure reducer often looks like a large cylinder...
  22. J

Need help finding a 6" lift

Check for Ranger lifts of the same years. Skyjacker has some 6" kits, I used to have one on my 1st Gen, but I had to look up based on a Ranger
  23. J

Will 4 door & 2 door fenders swap ? Junk yard says no !

LMC Truck doesn't differentiate between 4dr and 2dr.
  24. J

Steering stabilizers

The most important point in this thread in my opinion. If everything else is working and designed properly, a steering stabilizer shouldn't be necessary. But they are a good safety net to have when you do eventually bend or break something on the trail. A steering stabilizer can make the...
  25. J

1st Gen Body Swap OR 'Resto' OR ???

Figured I'd update this thread before it falls off the front page. Haven't really done a whole lot, life getting in the way. I wasn't too excited about the idea of doing a whole bunch of patches on the front floor panel, but unfortunately no one makes a replacement floor panel for the...
Back