Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Tornado Fuelsaver

The science of fluid dynamics in an intake runner does not support the claims. If it did the manufacturer would have reliable and repeatable engine dyno data to support consumer case studies.:thumbdwn:
  2. C

Anyone else done this?

BG products sells a Motor Oil Additive that is compatable with all oils and has detergents and anti oxidation components. Give it a try as it will clean your engine with little risk of damage.
  3. C

1st gen 65mph shake

Frozen U joints and soft motor/transmission mounts can transmit a vibration that in some cases mimics suspension vibration. This normally increases with speed rather than the peaks and valleys of a harmonic related vibration. Another thought would be hard or incorrect sizing on the mounts...
  4. C

Help me verify my HID kit (pic)

Color temperature of sunlight is nominally quoted at 5,500K but can vary over a broad range depending upon atmospheric conditions and altitude. When evaluating the best color temperature for night driving one needs to consider that the human eye responds differently that it does in daylight...
  5. C

Loud engine tick.

Search the forum for collapsed lifers, you will find good descriptions of the symptoms and the effort required to replace them.
  6. C

"Check Engine" light came one....

Disconnecting the battery for 30+ seconds to reset the EEC is the fastest way to get the adaptive map back to a neutral trim. You may want to take a quick look at the MAF for deposits and clean it as needed. Depending upon the code and the OBD II implementation the light may require a scan tool...
  7. C

Thanks Glacier, your kind words are appreciated.
  8. C

13000k HID

A true 13000K spectral peak would shift the emission bands to shorter wavelengths requiring more of a UV shroud to prevent transmission of harmful radiation (to both people and materials). When Sylvania originally came up with the HID for automotive applications it was based upon the optimum...
  9. C

Brake Pads:

Depending upon the manufacturer ceramic pads can leave a deposition on the brake rotor that mimics rotor warpage. This is one of the larger errant warranty claim issues that Ford processes.
  10. C

Mileage on the vehicle can be an issue for what you have described. If it is higher then aged O2 sensors or a MAF with deposits on it (in addition to other things) can both cause the readings you have. Look for any lean run symptoms such as plug wear or color. You may also be experiencing...
  11. C

Replacing your IAC? Read this.

Fuel volatility increases as the temperature drops in order to aid starting of a cold engine. This coupled with the use of ethanol can aggravate a warm start condition by inducing vaporization in the fuel rail. Fundamentally anything that causes fuel to be delivered at anything under the...
  12. C

How to: Project Frankentranny - A4LD / 4R55E / 5R55E Hybrid Project

Very nice detail in your description and photographs, well done.
  13. C

How to: Project Frankentranny "AKA" A4LD / 4R55E / 5R55E Hybrid Project - A MUST READ!

Very nice detail in your description and photographs, well done.
  14. C

Idle is surging when going down hill

Best of luck on the storm. BG 44K and Chevron Techron are two very good additive packages.
  15. C

Idle is surging when going down hill

Is there any evidence of deposits on the intake side? High levels can act as a fuel “spongeâ€￾ that release the fuel under vacuum. This can cause the O2 sensors to oscillate with a resulting idle fluctuation. For about $20 and a tankful of gas a good PEA additive will clean the engine...
  16. C

Sooty Spark plugs

Although the mileage is low, at 10 years of age many of the components could be experiencing failure. If you have access to a scanner see what codes are coming up in the analysis. Absent any definitive symptoms go through it one step at a time, simple items first, save the expensive items for...
  17. C

Bad IAC valve?

The symptoms you describe are characteristic of IAC sticking. It and the other intake components are susceptible to deposit formation particularly if the fuel being used does not have an adequate detergent package. Replace the IAC and add a can of BG products 44K or Chevron Techron to a full...
  18. C

BETTER GAS MILAGE !!!!

Read Heywood
  19. C

BETTER GAS MILAGE !!!!

My question was slightly rhetorical in that this is a common misconception. In the many years of engine performance research and testing for various manufacturers I have heard a wide variety of theories relating to commercially available fuels that are not technically substantiated. The...
  20. C

Push Botton 4WD not working!

Disassemble the contact wiper portion of the motor and clean the carbon deposits off with an eraser then brake cleaner.
  21. C

BETTER GAS MILAGE !!!!

I am curious why running higher octane fuel would harm the engine. Octane defines a resistance to knock so I am wondering how a higher number than specified would cause damage?
  22. C

Reaccuring problem with 94XLT

Where the line was broken will depend on what you need to do to splice or replace it, in short I would have to see the installation before I could tell you what needed to be removed. Brittleness is the result of the plastisizers being removed from the material over time due to some of the...
  23. C

Synthetic Oil????

Many newer engines are specifying synthetics due to the VCT. The cam phasers are very sensitive to deposits and will not operate correctly unless they are kept totally clean. Use the synthetic but do not extend intervals to the point of varnish build up in the engine.
  24. C

How Much HP can you get from the 4.6 Explorer???

The Lincoln Aviator (same basic vehicle as an Explorer) has a 32 valve 4.6 and is rated at 302 HP with 300 lb/ft of torque. All you need is the complete wiring loom, PCM, trans....
  25. C

overbored 390ci?

Do a weight comparison and I think you will find that there is a significant increase from the 390. This will create a stability problem and excessive wear in the front end.
Back