Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Help Locating O2 sensor

I found it...need to remove the flap in the passenger wheel well and there it is. This one was a PITA to remove. Very limited access to any kind of wrench. I tried for a while with a O2 socket and socket wrench. There is just more than 1 inch of swing on the wrench to get it turning and...
  2. R

Help Locating O2 sensor

I'm getting a CEL and Autozone says it's O2 sensor at bank 1-1. I found some old posts and they say it's on the passenger side. I also found a diagram on repair site. But I don't think that diagram matches my exhaust setup. I have a 1998 4.0SOHC. I did the one that is closer to the driver...
  3. R

4.0 SOHC Thermostat housing

Anyone use the ACDelco part? It's $38 and the local parts place can get it for me....but I need to be sure I won't have the same problem.
  4. R

Ok...back to square one. Good news is I found the leak, bad news is it's the upper housing cap. These aftermarket ones from AutoZone are not 100% like the stock one. The water outlet/house connection angle is off by just a few degrees. If I put the housing in place w/o the hose connected...
  5. R

Ok, so I filled up the car with water to do a leak test. I ran it for a while and all was good. Then water started leaking from below. I can't tell where the water is coming from but it doesn't appear to be coming from the thermostat housing. It was more than a drip, more like slow leak...
  6. R

ok, so I bought aftermarket thermostat housing cover number 3. It was reinstalled yesterday, this time with some (cough) gasket sealer in a tube around the rim. I'm letting it setup overnight(full cure time) and will fill up with antifreeze today. I'm all for doing the upgrade to the...
  7. R

Not sure who made the replacement I purchased but it looks like the stock on...but is not the same. When I put the first one in I had to cut about 1/4"or so of the hose bc of the outlet angle being off by just a bit. The 2 I've had seem to warp and leak on the backside where there is no...
  8. R

I've developed another leak at the thermostat housing on my 1998 4.0 SOHC. I've found the post to upgrade to a better assembly, and I would be inclined to do so however the posts says to reuse the old upper half of the housing and that's where my problem is. I found a "non-oem" upper half...
  9. R

replaced thermostat housing today!!

I just did the upper half of mine...but found due to screw threading issues I have to pull the upper and lower. How much of a PITA was it if that's what you had to do?
  10. R

Help w/ overheating 98 4.0sohc sport

Ok, was replacing the t-stat this weekend and lost one of the 3 screws that hold the housing closed!! How do I get a replacement? Ford parts dept?
  11. R

bump...overheated today :-(
  12. R

Its baackk.... My in-laws just brought my truck back(4hr trip) and they said the temp gauge went up towards the end. Mother-in-law says it's been taking forever for car to warm-up heat. All looks ok under the hood, but the coolant resevoir is full. (Father-in-law topped it off!) All the...
  13. R

Thanks for all the help. Car is doing fine now. The level in the reservoir has remained constant. It made the trip from CT to MD and no issues.
  14. R

No, not very much coolant was added. I'm just over 2gallons refilled after the flush. I've just been adding to the cold line on the reservoir. I also have a new rad cap on there so I don't think that's the prob. The a/c was on so that explains the condensation. I just ran the car for bout...
  15. R

I had to throw some more coolant in when the wife got home. Car has been driven all day w/o overheating so 2 days now. I need to clean the whole engine out to get rid of all the white residue from the initial coolant spill. There is a piece in the upper left area. Just to the right of the...
  16. R

Ok, so far so good with overheating. I had to add more coolant to the reservoir today. It was dry. How much coolant am I supposed to put into the system after I drain the radiator?
  17. R

Change trans fluid at 81k?

Any links for a flush procedure?
  18. R

Change trans fluid at 81k?

Just trying to bang out as much preventative maintenance as possible while i'm still on the kick. My 98 SOHC Sport has 81k miles. I've owned it for 6 years now (since 48k miles) I mainly drive it in the winter. I've never changed the tranny fluid on it. What is the general recommendation...
  19. R

Ok so here is the update. I was able to remove the thermostat housing (10mm bolts). The trick was to remove the AirCleaner Tube AND the the MAF housing. This allowed much better access to the bolts. The left front one had to be removed using a 10mm open ended wrench(not enough height clearance...
  20. R

HELP!!! Started doing this and I'm stuck. Does the upper intake need to be removed to change the thermostat on a 4.0 sohc? If not what is the trick?
  21. R

Thanks for the advice and welcome, I've been a lurker for a while just never posted. I've been able to find help with all my Explorer Woes using the search function on this forum. Just finished doing an o2 sensor and also the ABS sensor in the rear diff. Other than that this lil truck...
  22. R

Ok, I'm no mechanic but I'm mechanically inclined and will try just bout anything. Going to pick one up today and swap it out. On the chance that doesn't do it any other ideas? Also since I will be draining the coolant which hoses are worth while changing? The car is a 1998 and has about...
  23. R

I have a 98 sport that lost the belt tensioner this weekend and the serpentine belt got all wound up in the fan. I wasn't driving at the time so I don't know the specifics other than the car lost power steering,a/c and all the typical stuff associated with losing the belt. In addition...
Back