Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 8

Porting stock style cast 5.0 exhaust manifolds

I'm in the middle of instsalling some ruff stuff shock towers along with some bigger shocks so i figued it'd be a good time to swap to the cast manifolds in my 97 mountaineer. Has anybody tried porting these? If so any problems with cracking? I'm sure they'll flow better and yeild a little...
  2. 8

Explorer ran for 40k on the wrong firing order

So i went to go change plugs and wires last night on a 96 5.0 and who ever did the plug wires before me got cylinder 8 and 2 mixed up at the coil packs. Plugs from 8 and 2 were a tad damp and smelled more like gas then the other cylinders but werent completely fouled up. I did a compression...
  3. 8

Door striker nuts fell into body

So while attempting to replace all 4 striker bushings, the two rear striker nuts fell into the body when i removed the striker bolts. I was in a hurry as i was loading my expo onto the trailer for a Desert run that day so i just welded the strikers to the body. Id like to fix it right so its...
  4. 8

Questions about a Built OHV on Nitrous?

Hey all, I know a few on here have done it. few questions for those that have.... I'd rather not spend the money on arp studs if its not needed. What head bolts are people running that are working well? What brand 90-94 pistons do you recommend? Will factory piston rods hold up? What dyno...
  5. 8

Headman headers

Has anybody tried these? How was the fitment and sound? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-89400 Pretty good deal for a CA smog legal header. Id like to eventually put in the 422 cam and 95tm heads. I'd like to get to around 270-280 ft/lbs of torque to the wheels without having to touch...
  6. 8

Underdrive pulleys still around for the 4.0?

i can't seem to find any. All the old domains that used to sell these when I search on this site and ranger station are no longer in use. Anybody know where to get them?
  7. 8

Two builds in one- 93 4x4 Prerunner and a DD 2000 5.0

It's been a while since I've been on, I wanted to update my thread and be more active here as I've somehow accumulated 4 explorers so one might say I'm right at home here. But seeing as Photobucket decided to hold all my images hostage I'll create another and will gradually update once I...
  8. 8

400hp ca smog legal 5.0 in a 94

i just picked a doner 2000 awd expo and plan to build a stroker motor out of the existing block and heads in the vehicle. Any suggestions on the best route to take considering it has to be ca smog legal, and swapped into a 1st gen? So far I plan to do a 347 stroker kit tM headers Ca legal cam...
  9. 8

Will a 96 4r70w fit in a 2000 expo?

I'm buying a 2000 awd expo with a blown tranny and have a 96 awd expo with a working tranny. Both 5.0s. Is the harness the same to the point where everything will plug in and work as it should without throwing codes?
  10. 8

High idle after rebuild- CTS voltage and PCM pin layout? Code 30?

1993 5spd 4wd expo My motor started at around 1350-1400 when I first fired up the rebuild and after 3 hours of run time she sticks to a 1k rpm idle speed. When I release the clutch to take off it goes back down to ~750 on take off from a stop. What should the voltage and ohms be to anD from the...
  11. 8

Intake manifold gaskets tech

Can some who's done a lower intake gasket please chime in... I ordered the 93 head gasket kit, which came with lower intake manifold gaskets that did not cover the block portion of where the manifold meets the block, they only cover the cylinder head potion. My Chilton said to apply a thin bead...
  12. 8

Dora- The Prerunner 4x4 DD Build

Need to start this for Motivation. Plan is to build it into a capable 4x4 pre-runner for my race truck, Hit my local 4x4 trails and also DD. Spent some time searching for a 5sp 4x4, finally found one for $600 locally and swooped on it fast. Ran great, needed 4x4 motor fixed (took 10 minutes...
  13. 8

Mild motor build suggestions

Well I took my expo to the Mojave trail while en route to the MINT 400 in vegas last weekend and siezed my motor in a big water crossing. It wouldn't turn over at all after pulling plugs, socket on the crank, and trying to pop start with a clutch dump... So I pulled the motor out of my spare X...
  14. 8

Cps installation problem not covered anywhere

93 expo 5spd manual 4x4: I have a new sensor from ford dealer with the updated pigtail, installed the pigtail and am getting alternating voltage from 0-14.5v when I rotate the drive gear so my wire configuration should be good. Problem: my sensor did not come with the alignment tool or a...
  15. 8

Strange cel code sequence

So I'm a bit confused on the pulses i got from my CEL when I went to pull codes last night. Below is the sequnces. 1 1 1 1 1 1 6 second pause 1 2 1 4 214 End cel flash Not sure if that's two (2) digit codes or two threes with a one to tell me it's starting the code sequence...? Right now...
  16. 8

Egr solenoid motor hissing at shutoff

So my 93 hisses and has a leaky sounding egr solenoid motor (located at driver side intake manifold). I took the solenoid off and cleaned it out with carb cleaner, but the hissing persist for about 8 seconds only right at engine shutoff. Runs great otherwise. Sounds and feels like it's coming...
  17. 8

Ebrake cable with lift

I only lifted the rear maybe 3.5" and the cable is rubbing on the bracket that's on the outside of the frame rail just in front of the driver rear tire at right height. The best option I see was just to cut the bracket to drop the main cable out of it, then re-in forcing the bracket back in...
  18. 8

Driver door harness wiring pin layout

Does anybody have the pin layout for the 95 driver door harness? I put 95 doors on a 93 and am trying to figure out the wiring. I've got 3 of the 95 doors installed on my 93, the rear two wired and working almost right. The windows don't work from the doors, but they work from my 93...
  19. 8

will 96 doors fit on a 93?

Does anybody know if the second gen doors are interchangable on the 4 door model?
  20. 8

conical Intake

So after searching around it seems only one company is making the Mas adapter to work with pre 95 ford 4.0's. What's the difference in the earlier models? Anybody know if something like the below ebay filter will work that's listed for the 95 and up models?? Im trying not to spend 90$ on the...
Back