Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Screwed

Guys, I shopped around my 96 Sport yesterday, was thinking of trading it in on a new truck....imagine my surprise. Apparently, it's value has decreased by over 30% in ONE YEAR, due to the Firestone/Explorer thing. 13 months ago, when I bought it, Blue Book value was $13,000 (39,000...
  2. S

35's?

So here's the question....I've already done a 3" body lift, but IF I was willing to do MAJOR trimming, torsion twist, shackles and regear....would the IFS on my 96' Sport handle 35's? What's the vote?
  3. S

After 96 Sport

Before: You know what they look like. After: 3" body lift and 33x10.50' KO's on AR23's, Borla and KKM
  4. S

Way Cool Winch Bumper

Finally, someone is making these for the Explorer. Save your pennies..... Dead Link Removed
  5. S

Rims...exchange policy.

Ok. I'm a reasonable guy.....but I'm a tad bit pissed at the moment. I went to my favorite shop and ordered some new rims and had them mounted....but they were too wide (15x10) and the tires rubbed. Now, it turns out that once tires are mounted on rims, they can't be exchanged for the...
  6. S

Ranger Tailgates?

Anyone know where a good place to get a '91 Ranger tailgate would be? I really don't feel like paying the dealer $700 for one when I know there must one sitting in a salvage yard somewhere! Help!
  7. S

Seats!

Hey folks. Anyone out there have any experience with the driver side bucket seat? I am....shall we say....a slightly larger fellow, and obviously, cough, cough, the stock seat has some design flaws. Anyone know a good place to get Corbeau seats? Are they built solidly? The nearest...
  8. S

BBK?

Is BBK gone? I can't get to their website anymore......
  9. S

F150 Drivetrain?

Has anyone swapped in the complete drivetrain from an F150? I saw a post where someone suggested that, and it sounded like a great idea.....find a low mileage wreck, pull the engine, trans and TC out, slide them in..... Anyone done this?
  10. S

sundown

My 96 Sport has about 50k on the odometer.....it just failed inspection for ball joints.....lower left to be exact. The mechanic said that I was lucky to get that far on the originals.....I say that's B.S. What say you all? Do the Ex's eat up ball joints? Anyone?
  11. S

Plugs.....

Trying to install my new Bosch +4's.....is there a tool that makes it easier to pull the boot off of the old plugs? I'm no wuss, these things are ON there! Thanks.
  12. S

Clunk......clunk.......clunk

Yo fellas! When I drop my 96 Sport into 4Lo (yes, always off road)and turn moderately to sharply, I get all sorts of clunks and shudders, and the truck hesitates, like something in the driveline is binding. Doesn't do it in 4Hi, so I don't think it's a U-joint, and it's only got 40k on it...
  13. S

Transmission

Is the manual transmission in my 96 Sport made by Mazda? Is this the same as is in the Rangers? Thanks all!
  14. S

Beware of the 3" Body Lift Kit!

My shop guy is half way thru installing the 3" body lift on my 96 Sport. The kit from Off Road Warehouse sucks the big one! The steering shaft extender doesn't fit. The bumper brackets don't fit, some of the bolts are too long, and there is no shifter extender included. Now I knew about...
  15. S

Boring but practical question.....

As soon as my 3" body lift is done, hopefully this weekend, I'm going to 33x10.50 KO's on 15x8 inch black rims. BUT, this spare tire thing has got me annoyed. Obviously, it'll never fit in the stock compartment. And the cargo area has little enough room as it is when you take your wife and kids...
  16. S

96 Sport

Been watching Sinjin and his 3" body lift, I'm gonna tackle the same thing in a week or two. I was going to go with KO's in 33x10.5's but now I'm wondering if the 33x12.5's will fit w/o rubbing? I thought I'd go with 10" rims to maximize the contact patch and wear. What offset should I...
  17. S

Mileage before/after chip?

Chips & Dip Can you folks who installed chips give me the low down on your mileage before/after? Also, how much of the "effect" is due to altering the shift points on the auto trans? I've got a manual and wonder if a chip will do much good. Thanks! [Edited by sundown on 09-05-2000 at...
  18. S

Stock conical filter & mods

I read through all of the posts about the various kits to free up the air intake.... But, on my 96 Sport, the airbox takes a conical filter and the MAF seems to be part of the airbox....in addition, there is some sort of sensor (air temp?) inline..... How do the kits that replace the stock...
  19. S

Washboard roads....

Mmmmmmyyyyyy '''9999966666 Sppppppoorrtttttt hhhhoooppssss ssssiiiiddddeeewayyyyyyssss..... (*pulls to the shoulder of the road) The rear end of my 96 Sport hops out sideways something fierce on washboard roads....worse than anything I've ever driven. Anyone else have this problem? It...
  20. S

HIDDEN winch mount?

Warn? No. Ramsey? Nope. Does anyone know who makes a winch mount kit that is fairly well hidden? They only seem to exist for the full size trucks.... I might even settle for one that is mounted inside a bumper, any ideas? Does anyone have a hidden mount? Is is huge $$$$ to have a custom...
  21. S

BFG AT KO 33x10.50s

Hey guys, I just realized that they came out with the KO's in 33x10.50's..... I know alot of you are running the 31x10.50s either stock or with twist/OME mods....in that case, is the reason you can't fit 33's the height or the width? What does everyone think would be the EASIEST...
  22. S

Oil Pressure Gauge - Weirdness

The oil pressure gauge on my '96 Sport (pushrod 4.0L) is acting weird. I'm used to them being rock solid...but this one seems to dance around alot....I can even get it to momentarily bottom out by quickly revving the engine from an idle, or sometimes it does it when crawling in 4low at low...
  23. S

Supercharger

This months Off Road magazine has an article about BBK's new super charger for the 4.0L engine. They claim that it bumps it up past the 5.0L in torque/horsepower, while maintaining the mileage of the 6 cylinder.... OK, how does that work? How can you get something for nothing? How can you...
  24. S

Direct Hits?

Has anyone tried these? Scam? http://www.directhits.com
  25. S

Diamondplate?

Brand new to your board, I'll probably be asking alot of questions, hope you don't get sick of me! Does anyone know of a source for diamondplate rocker panels for my '96 Sport? Thanks!
Back