Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Interested in a sport, so how do they drive?

I've got a couple of Turbo vehicles. An Outback XT, and the Explorer Sport. The turbo lag is non-existent in the Ex as compared to the XT, which is already ok. My XT is a manual, so I have more of a sense for how the engine is performing separate from how the transmission is performing, in that...
  2. D

If you didn't buy the 11-16 explorer, then what?

I actually started out with a Chevy Traverse that I bought used from CarMax. It was a 2009, and unbeknownst to me at the time of purchase, 2009's had a major issue with the 3-5-R wave plate disintegrating in the transmission. GM even extended their warranty period to cover people who had the...
  3. D

So I picked up my 16 Explorer SPORT AND...

I have a similarly equipped 15 sport, minus the hands-free lift gate. We love it. Recently drove 10.5 hours from SLC to Los Angeles, and back a couple days later. The ride was so nice I was able to get work done on my laptop during my wife's turns at the wheel. But I drove most of the way --...
  4. D

Aside from your '11-'16, What is your "other" car/truck

2015 Ford Explorer Sport Black with roof rack, towing package, brake controller, Husky Weatherbeater mats throughout. 2008 Subaru Outback XT Silver, 5-sp Manual, with roof rack, moon-roof, "winter package", and WeatherTech mats throughout. Of course the sport is the EcoBoost engine...
  5. D

About to let my Explorer sit for 5-6 months, Anything i need to do?

I'm of the "don't disconnect the battery" camp. Instead, buy a "Battery Tender", and leave it plugged in. Get a decent quality one. Get a car cover, unless it is going to be garaged. Put StaBil in the tank and run the car for 10 miles to make sure the stuff has found its way into the...
  6. D

Factory Tow Hitch Kit for Gen 5 Explorer c/w Video

If your 2015 Explorer Sport comes with the factory tow package, it can tow up to 5000 pounds, with a tongue weight of up to 500 pounds. This specification assumes you have the vehicle loaded with a single driver weighing about 150 pounds. If you intend to load the vehicle with more than a...
  7. D

All Weather floor mats

Well, I guess I'm wrong. Or the manufacturer is wrong to say that that front driver's side mat fits a 2016. It fits perfectly in my 2015. Your pictures seemed to show that it doesn't fit perfectly in your 2016. Maybe WeatherTech has a better fit for the 2016 model. As for the rear...
  8. D

All Weather floor mats

That's a terrible fit in the front driver's side mat. You got the wrong model year. There was a change somewhere along the way in the 5th gen foot-pan arrangement for the driver's side. I think the change was for 2015 and newer, though I'm not certain. But I do know that in my 2015 the fit is...
  9. D

All Weather floor mats

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have the Husky's in my Explorer. But they don't make them to fit my 2008 Subaru Outback XT anymore (if they ever did). WeatherTech does, though. So I've ordered a set of WeatherTech custom fit liners for my Outback. Within a few days i'll be in a...
  10. D

All Weather floor mats

I have the Husky WeatherBeaters on all three rows, front, 2nd, and 3rd, as well as in the cargo area behind the 3rd row. They fit quite well, have very good coverage, and look nice. They're not cheap -- at least outfitting the entire vehicle isn't cheap -- but they're a small investment if the...
  11. D

Best front brake/rotor combinations

It's great that the Sport brakes are more than adequate. I own a 2015 Sport, but when I was looking to purchase it, I also test-drove a used 2013 LTD with only about 22k miles on it. The 2013 must have had *inadequate* brakes, because before even getting it out of the lot's gate I could tell...
  12. D

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

We got our 2015 Explorer Sport in June, used with 17k miles on it. Since then I've added: Husky Weather Beater floor mats for the Front, 2nd, and 3rd rows, as well as for the cargo area behind the 3rd row. (I may still add a full-length cargo liner to fit behind the 2nd row -- haven't...
  13. D

Standard vs Sport Brakes

You read most of it correctly. All mid-year 2013 and newer Explorers have the same heavy duty brakes that previously were found only on the Sport and Interceptor Utility. However, it sounds, from reading that, like the pad composition may be a little different on the Interceptor Utility's...
  14. D

Ford Explorer Cross Bars / Roof Rack

I have a Yakima rack that I use on my Subaru Outback XT. It has square crossbars that tend to be rather noisy, so I only install it when I need to put something up there. I've also used it on a Mercedes wagon, and on a Subaru Forester. I considered using it on the Explorer, but it turned...
  15. D

Ford Explorer Cross Bars / Roof Rack

I have a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport. I installed factory crossbars on it. I considered going with a 3rd party such as Thule or Yakima (I've used such on other vehicles), but ultimately just went with factory crossbars. My reasoning: The weight limit is set by the side rails. The factory...
  16. D

Battery Life

Automotive batteries begin reaching the end of their reliable lifespan between 3 and 5 years, and by 6 years it's very good luck if they're still usable. I remember the old Woody Allen movie Sleeper, where he awakens after 300 years and finds a Volkswagen Beetle that started right up. This...
  17. D

Spare tire cover in cargo area

Mine was sliding around too. I wanted a cargo mat anyway, so this was one more excuse to get one. I got a Husky Weather Beater designed to fit into the cargo well behind the third row. The third row seats can still be stowed too, with it in place. Seems like a good solution.
  18. D

Ford Extended Service Plans (ESP)

There is always some risk to both parties. If you don't purchase it, you risk the expense of whatever breakdown comes along. If you do purchase it, you risk not getting your money's worth out of it. If Ford sells it to you, they risk you getting your money's worth out of it. If...
  19. D

Should I Buy A New 2015 or 2016?

Asking for a "best price" should be a starting point for the negotiation. What is offered and represented to be the best price rarely is. *Everyone* asks for the "best price". The true negotiators get a price that actually is.
  20. D

2016 Limited or Sport

I have a 2015 Sport. I sometimes tow a pop-up camper trailer that weighs 3200 or less, depending on how it's loaded. Tongue weight can get up to 450. The Sport handles the tow wonderfully. With its 365hp, you barely know you're pulling anything. By contrast, I recently got rid of a...
  21. D

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

I have a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport, black, with tow package. Today I added a rear cargo Husky liner. It's the model that fits behind/under the 3rd row. Last week I added a husky mat that fits behind the 2nd row / in front of the 3rd row. I haven't yet decided whether I'll get rubber husky mats...
  22. D

What did YOU do to your Explorer today?

Added a husky liner for the 3rd row seating area, and the cargo area of our 5th generation sport. Last month I added a factory OEM roof rack, a Tekonsha Primus IQ brake controller and an appropriately sized ball mount for our trailer.
  23. D

What did YOU do to your Explorer today?

How many HP does the mayonnaise jar add? (BTW: Unless you're talking about go-carts, snow blowers, and lawn mowers, anything that is claimed to add 1-5HP is within the margin of error for testing equipment and environmental factors such as ambient temperatures, barometric pressure, oil...
  24. D

2016 Factory key code doesn't work. Can I reset it?

Yes, you could make a personal appearance -- drive across town, wait to be helped, etc. Or you could shine a flash light under the dashboard, upward above the parking brake pedal, and look for a sticker with six numerical digits followed by an alphabetic character printed on it. Those six...
  25. D

2016 Real World MPG

I have a 2015 Sport. I doubt much has changed between the 2015 eco-boost and the 2016 eco-boost "sport" model. I towed a trailer from Salt Lake City to Bryce and back. On the way there, I got 17mpg, and on the way back, 19. I attribute the difference to wind and overall elevation gain...
Back