Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

2011 Explorer towing concern

Running an engine at 2/3 of it's redline won't hurt it. I'd leave it in Drive with the tow mode activated and let the PCM do the thinking. Relax and enjoy the ride!
  2. S

Weeping axle seals - what to expect?

I haven't started nor searched for a thread on high-mileage 5th gen Explorers, but I'm going to hit 190,000Km over the weekend. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.
  3. S

Thanks, but that thread, which I did read, speaks about the vent tube on the rear differential. Reading is your friend, friend.
  4. S

Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer

For those who've done this lift with 17" wheels, do you have the factory tow package? I've been told that 17's won't fit over the brakes if you have the tow package, as I do on my '11 Limited 4WD.
  5. S

Someone elsewhere suggested that I should look at the vents to see if they're blocked, as that could cause increased pressure inside the cases and weeping at the seals. Can anyone give me a rough idea where the vent tubes are located?
  6. S

I was under my 2011 Limited today changing the oil, and noticed that there is weeping from BOTH front drive axle seals; the driver's side where the axle inserts into the transmission, and the passenger, where it inserts into the PTU. I pulled the airbox and checked the transmission fluid (WHY...
  7. S

Knocking while braking

Forgive my possibly incorrect parts nomenclature... I'm a carpenter! The lower suspension sub-frame has two brackets (one on each side) which connect it to a crossmember in the unibody, about under the footwell. Each bracket has a large bolt at the front which connects to - I believe - the...
  8. S

Knocking while braking

I have an odd symptom; it started a little while ago, but is 10X worse today, which is the first day we've had weather below -20°C. When I brake, there is a knocking noise, which seems to live right underneath and slightly to the right of the console/shifter area, but definitely not inside...
  9. S

Bought 2011 Ex Ltd AWD... have a few concerns

That's what I've come to understand from the thread as well. As I mentioned in my OP, as long as it doesn't suggest an imminent driveline failure, it's not a big deal to me. Thanks.
  10. S

Thanks Cajun. I hadn't thought to look at the transducer rings. Will do so. My point in #1 isn't torque steer in the usual sense, and in fact it feels like it comes from the rear end (or centre diff/PTU). The thread on wobble suggests that it could be a number of things, or nothing in...
  11. S

Thanks for your help with the BB Rebecca; for the life of me I couldn't figure out what to ask Google for on that item!
  12. S

Hello, I recently bought a 2011 Explorer Ltd AWD (w/tow package and MFT, w/o Navigation). It has ~150,000Km on the clock, and is generally in very good condition. The mechanic's inspection report was clean (save for needing new tires, which were mounted, balanced and an alignment done.) It...
Back