Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Black carbon on engine air filter every 4 months

2016 XLT with 140000km/87000mi. I've had to change my engine air filter every 4 months. It gets impregnated with black carbon buildup on the inlet side. Engine side of the filter is clean though. Is this normal? Do I have an exhaust leak? Engine runs quiet... I'll try to take a picture once a...
  2. M

How to: PTU Oil Change (Tons of Pics) 2016 Explorer Sport

I climbed under my 2016 XLT (Build date 18.06.2015) It has a 3/8" fill(?) plug, not a hex plug.
  3. M

Droning noise coming from rear on 2011 Limited.

Same. Had to replace both rear wheel bearings. Here is a trick: Go drive on the highway for 10 minutes. Then pull over somewhere and feel the center of your rim around the hub. It may feel warm/hot if the bearings are really bad. To rule out dragging brakes, touch the disc to see if its hot...
  4. M

2017 Explorer Fog Lights Fuse

If you go to eBay, you cash buy a "2016 or 2017 wiring diagram manual". You can sometimes get them used for around $40 or $50
  5. M

HELP! New TPMS training on 2016 Explorer

Interesting... my 16 XLT has push button start, but i always use the ignition/brake procedure to enter training mode.
  6. M

Have you tried this on a 2016/2017 Ex yet?
  7. M

2017 Explorer Fuse Box (looking for 12V constant power) for dashcam

The hardwire kit for the Thinkware F750 has two 12V inputs, one for switched, one for constant. It runs in a low power mode when only constant 12VDC is present, for the motion/shock sensors.
  8. M

How to remove roof rack rails on 2017?

I have removed the rail covers to paint them before, which exposes the rail bolts. Starting at the front, grab the rail cover (the long center plastic piece) with 2 hands and pull straight up with some good oomph.
  9. M

2017 Explorer Fuse Box (looking for 12V constant power) for dashcam

In my explorer, there are 3 types of 12V sources: Constant, Switched (accessory), and smart-switched (shuts off after a couple hours, like the 12V cig. plugs and USB). Is that RED wire a true accessory switched line? Edit: If anyone in Canada is still looking for a Micro2 fuse tap, this guy on...
  10. M

No. I still had to use the TPMS-19 tool, but the tool wouldn't work on one of my summer tires until I drove around for a while.
  11. M

I had to drive around a while to "wake up" one of my sensors before it would program.
  12. M

Intermittent tone/hum from inside cabin

The fact that it was present for about 10 minutes of driving, but not again after a restart makes me think it was connected to the vehicle somehow. Maybe this was it. My heated seats were on (sore back). Maybe the engine off, open/close door, engine ON turned them off.
  13. M

Intermittent tone/hum from inside cabin

After about 50km/30mi of driving, an intermittent hum would sound from somewhere within the cabin. The tone lasted the same duration each time; about 1 second. It was always the same tone, and almost sounded like a horn honking from a distance. I ruled that out, since there were no other cars...
  14. M

Window Tinting

I've seen this article talking about it: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/ontario-limits-amount-of-allowable-window-tint-cyclists-rejoice-1.3657694 But they do not cite or reference the actual law. Any other references would be appreciated.
  15. M

2016 - 2018 Explorer Headlight Question

Are you saying that you are using 80W bulbs in your Fog lights which were originally rated at 45W? And 50W LED reversing bulbs that were originally 21W?
  16. M

Front Brake Pads 2013 Explorer

Typically, these are anti-vibration clips. They are usually constructed such that they have a spring loaded force to keep them centered to prevent high-frequency vibration.
  17. M

Switched fuse for dash cam in 2016 Explorer

+1 for this. It requires ZERO modification or disassembly of OEM parts. Just slide the provided pins in alongside the existing switched 12VDC. You may have to add a 12V-to-5V buck inline regardless of which way you do it. +1 for tap-a-fuse also. I've used them for radar, dash cam...
  18. M

2016: Incorrect high beam wattage in manual

You are braver than me. I wonder how hot the assembly gets, given that it requires its own fan for cooling, especially if the rubber cover is replaced. I would constantly be wondering if it is overheating. That's just me though.
  19. M

Anyone make/buy a keyless fob radio transmitter shield?

Wrap your key in aluminum foil multiple times, very tightly. Ensure there are no gaps. Consider purchasing some 3M conductive copper tape to ensure that the foil has no conductive gaps. Then store the packaged key under the spare tire in the back. Of course, this method assumes that you rarely...
  20. M

2016 Recalls for Ex and MKC - Block Heater

From: http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/tc/2016/57782r-eng.php "On certain vehicles equipped with a 2.3 litre GTDI engine and an engine block heater, due to the engine’s orientation, the block heater could be susceptible to overheating. An overheated engine block heater...
  21. M

Ordering a 2017 - Question About Shadow Black>>>

My 2016 is Shadow Black. I have 26000km (16100mi) on it. There are 2 or 3 small chips on the hood, about the size of a ball point pen head. I drive 80% highway, 15% (pothole) city, and 5% gravel/backroads.
  22. M

Battery voltage while Explorer sleeps

Thanks Exit32. It looks as though the curve actually flattens around day 5. This may correlate to a power saving mode timer or voltage cutoff threshold. What might also be interesting to know is: What is the slope of the voltage after that point around 5 days. Then one could determine the...
  23. M

Wanted: Canada Build 16 Sport VIN for Research

Not sure the 401A is available here in Canada. At least, not according to ford.ca. The adaptive cruise is an option for the 400a. 400a with adaptive cruise: 1FM5K8GT7GGB67080
  24. M

2016 Ford Explorer Sport Review [w/video]

They forgot to take a picture, so they went back to the article they wrote in 2012 and used the picture from here: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/03/2013-ford-explorer-sport-quick-spin-review/
  25. M

Any news on the 2017 model year?

I believe those are photoshopped fakes. Plus, why would ford re-design the grille for the 2016 and then do it again for the the 2017, and then do it again for the 2018? No economic sense there. Your image looks very close to this 2011 Explorer...
Back