Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

How to: 2020 Explorer ST Aftermarket Amp & Sub Install

Let me start by complimenting the original poster's write up....these are more helpful than you know. I've done similar build logs for other vehicles and it's always good to share insights on what you've discovered on your journey. Has anyone attempted an amp integration for a non-B&O/non-Rebel...
  2. G

Explorer Audio upgrade(s)

One bolt is behind the plastic trim piece behind the door opener handle...you have to pry it out to expose the 10mm bolt behind it. The other is behind the handle you use to pull the door shut. To expose it, you need to remove the plastic piece that lines that opening, which is also forms the...
  3. G

2016 Sport Audio up-grade (plus some)

I drilled a hole just below and to the left of where the steering shaft passes through the firewall...I put a thick rubber grommet in there that I picked up at Lowes...it was perfect for the 4 gage power wire I used. There are several pictures of others who have done this in this thread if you...
  4. G

2016 Sport Audio up-grade (plus some)

Very nice install. Sounds like you went active on the front stage & used the crossovers in the Audison amp? Did you leave the 3rd row speakers and center channel connected to the factory amp? Just wondering about processing using the Bit One and if/how you matched up the aftermarket amplified...
  5. G

Does your Explorer have a factory sub? If so, it would also have a factory amp.
  6. G

Do you know whether or not your 2013 has a factory amp? If not, it will be fairly straightforward...if you have a factory amp it may require a special piece (JL Audio Fix82 or cleansweep) of equipment to sum the signal and flatten it out.
  7. G

Ahhh...I see it now. In this model the 3rd row speakers are actually in the rear pillars.....in the 2016 9-speaker system, the 3rd row speakers are actually in the panels right below the cup holders for the 3rd row passengers....they fire roughly into the hip of anyone sitting in the 3rd row. So...
  8. G

In mine there were little inserts in the bottoms of the trays....if you pull those inserts out your can see slots that you can use a flat head screwdriver to pry out the bottom panel...I did not remove the whole cup holder assembly.
  9. G

If your Explorer is a 2013, then it is possible that it is different from my 2016. I believe that there was a non-Sony system offered that had an outboard amplifier behind the right rear panel...my 2016 does not have that...all 9 speakers are powered directly from the factory head unit. 3rd row...
  10. G

Not a load that would make a difference to the source feeding it. A line out converter (such as the Audio Control LC-2i or Scosche SLC-4) take speaker level input and put out line level RCA Jacks which can feed and amplifier. However, many amps are now built to accept a range of input...
  11. G

Just to clarify: my 2016 9-speaker premium system does not have a separate factory amplifier...all 9 speakers are driven by 5 full-range channels of the factory radio. There's a separate center channel pair of hi level speaker wires and 4 pairs of hi level speaker wires going to left front...
  12. G

I did not pull the panels. There are little trays on the armrest areas of the 3rd row. They have panels that pop out to give access to the shock tower, I think....those panels also give access to the back sides of those 3rd row speakers. Cap was right on the speaker IIRC...I cut further upstream...
  13. G

No, they were black and black with white at the 3rd row speakers....I simply disconnected them and capped off the wires at the speakers...that way all of the signal is feeding the rear doors only off those channels.
  14. G

I can tell you for sure that the rear door speakers are wired in parallel with the 3rd row speakers in the 9-speaker non-Sony system in my 2016 XLT. They are different impedance and the 3rd row also have capacitors on them to block bass. This is for a non-amplified premium system in a 2016...not...
  15. G

If you send me your email in a pm, I'll send you a write up on what I did in my '16 XLT...sounds like you're interested in doing something similar.
  16. G

what do I plug the aftermarket harness into

The harness that is currently plugged into your factory radio (gray & black) When you remove the factory radio, there should be a factory wiring harness that is plugged into the factory radio; that harness gets unplugged from the factory radio (along with the antenna and any other connectors)...
  17. G

I'll put together a build log with pictures and save it as a PDF. I can then email it to anyone interested.
  18. G

Just completed a little project to upgrade my 2016 XLT (202A package with 9-speaker premium stereo). System includes: Factory radio with 8" MyFord Touch Screen Audio Control DQ-61 Processor JL Audio 300/4 Amplifier JL Audio XD600/1 Amplifier Focal Polyglass 165VR 6.5" Components Focal...
  19. G

I ended up using a unibit/step bit because I needed to get a hole drilled bigger than my largest (1/2") bit...the unibit let me drill about a 5/8" hole through the firewall in roughly the same location. I picked up a grommet at Lowes that let me pass a 4 gage power wire through with a snug fit.
  20. G

The 2016 XLT (mine has the 9-speaker premium stereo with 8" MyFord Touchscreen) has no outboard amplifier and, as best I can tell has five channels of speaker-level output coming from the factory head unit. There are Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left, Rear Right, and center channel pairs of...
  21. G

Not sure which options Tony was referring to, but I'll be using an Audio COntrol DQ-61 in my 2016 XLT.....from there I'll be feeding a pair of JL Audio amplifiers and running aftermarket speakers....including subs.
  22. G

Yes, it was this guide that I was referring to when I said that the 2016 has some differences from what was shown in that guide....namely how to access the bolt behind the pull handle and the fact that there is no screw behind the door-open lever...it now has a 10mm bolt there.....other than...
  23. G

You might consider a set of component speakers rather than a coaxial...that way you'd get a separate tweeter you could put in the factory spot and replace both drivers. One note about that guide to door panel removal....on the 2016's now there are 2 10mm bolts rather than screws in the locations...
  24. G

XLT16, I've got the same setup as you and I just had mine opened up last weekend. The 6X9's in the front doors have the spacer ring as an integrated part of the speaker, so you will either need to custom make a speaker ring (like I did) or buy one made for this vehicle....which I have not seen...
  25. G

Premium Sound System with 9 Speakers?

Does anyone have details on the type and number of outputs coming out of the factory radio on a non-Sony, Premium 9-speaker system 2016 Explorer XLT (with 202A package, MyFord Touch with Sync)? Specifically, are the outputs feeding full-range signal to each of the 9 speakers? Are there in-line...
Back