Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

93 Receiver Hitch Recommendations?

Thanks, fellows. This is a big help.
  2. M

93 Receiver Hitch Recommendations?

I want to carry bicycles behind my stock '93 Ex, inexpensively. I currently have a stock bumper and ball hitch, no receiver. What kind of arrangement, and source for parts, do y'all recommend? (I found a used receiver hitch locally for a '98 Ex, but I don't know how to check if it will fit...
  3. M

WANTED: Stock Intake Duct for 1993 4.0 V6

I got the three-piece unit from the Ebay guy. It's heavier but more durable. I hope the old one's failure to seal was a contributing factor to my recent fall in gas mileage! Price was $34 and shipping $12, BTW.
  4. M

Thank you. I'm awaiting an answer from the Ebay guy at the moment, but will let you know.
  5. M

I need one preferably with good grommets at each end.
  6. M

Best Electric Fan Setup for 1st Gen?

I put the Hayden on. Temps promptly dropped, and I can tell it's working because of the roar. Also gas mileage fell 2 MPG immediately. Ah well - better than a burned up engine and a stranded wife. I also switched from R134a to Freeze 12 because of the latter's higher conductivity. AC vent...
  7. M

Well, y'all have convinced me. I'm about to pull the trigger on the Hayden Severe Duty fan clutch. Maniak's link goes to a Hayden 2793, which looks right. However, in the Rock Auto specs, the description includes "reverse rotation." I'm confused by that. Is this the right clutch for my 1993 4.0...
  8. M

Have any of you found a fixed fan for this application? I'm thinking, since the truck rarely goes on the freeway, I can sacrifice some high-speed efficiency for better around-town cooling.
  9. M

I'd be OK with that since my wife only uses this Ex around town. I read the HHR thread. Started out gangbusters and then it didn't cool well enough. That was really disappointing; I thought he was onto a good, cheap solution! I was getting toward the same conclusion as you, so I...
  10. M

Ah, don't be so sure. (!) I did replace the thermostat - twice, when I got a bad one the first time. Guess I should try the cap, since that's cheap to replace. Please pardon my ignorance, but in hot climes like ours (100+ summers with AC load) does a low-temp thermostat work better? And...
  11. M

AC gets balmy, and if I sit still long enough (which I've only let happen once, not paying attention), the engine will start to misfire as the gauge passes the L in NORMAL.
  12. M

Gauge starts climbing not long after you come to a halt. It can take a drive-thru if the staff makes the burgers fast enough. But if we have to wait on the fries to cook, I have to circle the block to keep the gauge from going all the way to H. So, no, it's not heat soak.
  13. M

I've seen several threads on using a Chevy HHR fan in place of the stock setup, but no real success stories with the 1st Gen. Has anyone made this work? The problem I'm trying to solve is summer overheat when idling with a 4.0 auto and AC. Despite new (OEM) fan clutch, 11-blade fan, new...
  14. M

How to: Prevent a Fire Hazard!

Found this searching for "smoke defroster" because on backing out of the driveway last week I got a column of smoke from the defroster vent, which smelled kind of woodsy (almost like tobacco) and had me totally confused as to what would cause it. The smoke stopped after a few minutes, and...
  15. M

Brake Pedal Soft on Slow Application; Solid on Fast Application

Thanks, guys. I swapped out the master cylinder (from O'Reilly; same price as RockAuto) and it works great. It looks like I did this once before -- left a trace of a shop towel in the cup of the plunger, on the outside. I think it was RockAuto but I can't find the receipt.
  16. M

Master Cylinder Reservoir?

I used those on another type of vehicle and they are awesome. I changed the brake fluid out once a year on that car, just because I could. :D
  17. M

Brake Pedal Soft on Slow Application; Solid on Fast Application

'93 2WD with power brakes, 165,000 miles. When I apply the brake pedal slowly it goes about 3/4 down before the brakes start to work. But if I apply the pedal fast, I get a solid pedal and good braking. Same if I apply the pedal twice, but at a medium rate. I topped off the fluid and...
  18. M

93 Ex Won't Stay Cool

One follow-up note: While flushing the radiator off the car, I filled it with water then let the hose run, flowing through top-bottom while I watched the filler neck. I don't know if all Explorer radiators are like this, but I couldn't see any evidence of flow through the filler neck -- just...
  19. M

93 Ex Won't Stay Cool

safn1949, the heater works fine. Because I don't have time for controlled experiments, I pulled the radiator and flushed it; checked the hoses for obstructions, and replaced the thermostat in one operation. The temp reading at the thermostat housing now peaks at 190. I drove around 20...
  20. M

93 Ex Won't Stay Cool

With the engine warm, I should be able to see the coolant moving in the filler neck, yes? I took the cap off and ran the engine until it warmed up. After a few minutes some coolant belched out, then it stabilized. But even with the thermostat cover reading 204 degrees (infrared...
  21. M

93 Ex Won't Stay Cool

Thanks for the questions: No coolant loss. Clean behind the condenser. Have not replaced the cap. How would a faulty cap affect things? FYI when I arrived home recently the temp gauge was reading way into the high zone, and when I pulled the hood to help it cool, the cap let a bunch of...
  22. M

93 Ex Won't Stay Cool

I've been having cooling problems with my '93 Explorer for several years. It can't tolerate idling very long in the summer. I've replaced, in order: fan (10-blade) and clutch (Motorcraft); thermostat (180); radiator (2-inch core); and water pump (heavy duty). And I still can't get it to...
  23. M

Cardone "Severe Duty" Water Pump

Thanks, man. Though it's sales material, I'm gratified to know the pump includes a new impeller. I've heard that impellers can wear down over a long time, and it doesn't seem like a regular rebuild would include a new one.
  24. M

Cardone "Severe Duty" Water Pump

Rock Auto offers a rebuilt "optional severe duty pump" for our Explorers. If you know anything about this pump, please post.
Back