Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

255/45r20 tires?

I have a 2008 Explorer limited with the optional 20 inch wheels. Tires on it now are just junk, Bridgestone Dueler Alenzos, won't balance or anything. Shop recommends new tires, so I'm pulling the trigger. I want the Nitto NT 420s all seasons. Current tires are 255/50r20, I can get the Nitto's...
  2. N

Considering a Gen IV Explorer

My 08 Limited with the 4.6 3V has 157k miles and it runs like new! Its not Mustang fast but it gets up and goes pretty good. I have the bump everyone else is talking about when coming to a stop in the transmission. Had the dealer do the reflash and it still does it, though, not all the time. And...
  3. N

Terrible Tire Shake

Took it to the dealer today, bit the bullet and overpaid (of course) but they have road force balancing and they found that all 4 tires were unbalanced and the TPMS came loose and was rolling around inside the tire! They did say my tie rod ends need replaced but I'll do that at a later time...
  4. N

Terrible Tire Shake

My mother in law has a Mountaineer I can ask if we can swap wheels and go for a test run
  5. N

Terrible Tire Shake

Thanks for the advice guys, my father in law has been super busy with other repairs in his garage but he said end of this week he should be able to fit me in to see what could be causing this. We're going to look over all the suspension components to make sure everything is okay. I do know the...
  6. N

Terrible Tire Shake

I'll check everything in the front end then before wasting more money on tire balancing and what not. Like I said it starts at around 60 mph then gets remarkably worse the faster I go. Its extremely frustrating and all I want is it to ride like the luxury SUV its meant to be
  7. N

Terrible Tire Shake

Im so fed up trying to figure out this tire shake. From 60mph and faster my explorer shakes so bad. Faster I go the worse it gets. Had my wheels and tires balanced TWICE changed out my rotors and pads and yet still shakes. Everything in the steering feels and looks good. Im going tomorrow to...
  8. N

HID headlight questions

I plan to order 6000k HIDs for my 08 limited and have a question. My explorer has daytime running lights that I can't seem to turn off. Now will the HIDs eliminate the running lights? or will they be on as they always are? I don't want to install these and end up messing something up. And yes I...
  9. N

Shaking at highway speeds

Both front wheel bearings are new, replaced them and the left rear one last fall. I think the tires are just junk. I took it up to about 75-80 mph yesterday evening and there was no shake at all. This is so frustrating and I do not have the money right now to get new tires.
  10. N

Alright guys I thought the wheel shake was going but it came back and it's horrible. The tire shop rotated my wheels too and the wheels that were shaking are now in the front and it is obnoxious over 65mph. I'm taking it back to the tire shop next weekend (busy this weekend) and have them look...
  11. N

Gen 4 Explorers not very popular?

I see 4th gen explorers everywhere in my area, most are the 4.0 v6 models though. Not many younger guys (age 20-30) drive them but I get a lot of compliments on mine all the time. When I looked for mine it HAD to be the 3 valve 4.6 and the 6 speed auto. This SUV is a lot better than the...
  12. N

The mechanic at the tire shop said multiple wheels had a lot of weights on them. I will call the shop back this week and maybe they can rebalance the wheels. I really don't want to buy new wheels or a wheel but if I do I'm going aftermarket, I am NOT spending the money for a new factory...
  13. N

My 08 limited with the adrenaline 20's shakes kind of violently over 65 mph. Its bad enough that I will start to get a headache if driving for a long period of time. I just came back from the tire shop getting the wheels and tires balanced and it STILL shakes. Anyone else in here experience this...
  14. N

My '07 Limited V8 'Garage Thread'

Nice looking Limited. I have an 08 AWD Limited I'm going to do little odds and ends to. I'm envious of your black interior, my tan interior gets too dirty.
  15. N

What do you guys think of this exhaust ?

I was looking at this exhaust as well and don't want to spend a lot of money on a gibson or magnaflow. Just curious to know if the 4.0 v6 and the 4.6 explorers shared the same exhaust? I wasn't sure if the y pipe was different or what not. Just want my explorer to sound better and maybe gain a...
  16. N

New wheel bearings in, still noisey

Update on my explorer, left real wheel bearing is going bad (I never would of thought but I guess possible, noise sounded like it was coming from the front) and they ran a power test and cylinders 4 and 8 have a misfire. Diagnostic fees was $106, yeah ouch, but now I at least know whats wrong...
  17. N

2008 Explorer acceleration "bumping"

Yeah mine does it when cruising with my foot pressing lightly on the gas pedal but when I give it more gas it goes away, its extremely annoying. So if your mechanic finds a fix it would be greatly appreciated.
  18. N

2008 Explorer acceleration "bumping"

Mine does this exact thing except mine seems to be more harsh than yours, I took it to the dealer and they suggested I change the spark plugs...for $400 LOL. I'm going to keep my eye on this post to see if anyone has an answer as well.
  19. N

I will try and spin the wheels as well as check the CV shaft. I can't really tell if it gets worse with turning left or not but it is a constant whine/hum and gets a lot louder with speed and when slowing down has almost a growl. I want to rule out rear bearings due to the noise seems to be near...
  20. N

I had it out on the interstate this evening and it sounded bad. Kind of sounds like its coming from the center left from underneath. I'm thinking maybe transfer case or possible front differential. Think I might take it to the dealer next week.
  21. N

Just had new wheel hubs put in and my explorer is STILL making noise of a bad bearing. I don't know if it would be something in the AWD system or not. Its under a powertrain warranty but don't want the dealer to rape me of diagnostic fees if its something not powertain related. Could it be the...
  22. N

Opinion on wheel hubs

Thanks guys, I'm just ready to get these things on as I am tired of hearing the growl of the bad ones (and safety aspect as well). I'll make sure everything is torqued to spec. Hopefully the ABS connectors work properly, read some reviews where the ABS system didn't like certain aftermarket hub...
  23. N

Opinion on wheel hubs

I have not installed them yet, thats this weekend. Just opened them up and for a MADE IN CHINA part (scares me a little) they seem to be in good quality. I hope I have luck with these like you guys do, still couldn't justify the cost of the name brand hubs for a pair.
  24. N

Opinion on wheel hubs

Thanks for the feedback. I just spent $700 on my X at the body shop and just didn't want to spend $5-600 on 2 hubs. If they last me a year, great, I'll replace them with the name brand stuff nest time. Like I said I just couldn't pass up that deal specially for a set.
  25. N

Opinion on wheel hubs

Just got my explorer back from the body shop getting some rust taken care of, now on to my wheel hubs/bearings. Been growling and humming now for about a month, just ordered the 1A auto brand hubs, the pair for $142. They wanted $575 for the motorcraft pair, and a little less than that for the...
Back