Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Mitchs07explorer

Should I rebuild the timing???

So after what seems like an eternity I did finally finish installing the heads any rebuilding the timing. I put the engine and everything else back in and attempted to start it. It started and ran fir a few seconds and then quit. Sounded good though so I was scratching my head. I lost interest...
  2. Mitchs07explorer

Sadly I’m no longer an Explorer owner

Sadly I’m no longer an Explorer owner
  3. Mitchs07explorer

Depth of timing cover crankshaft seal

Damn I pressed the seal in dry so it sounds like I should pull the cover and redo it. Do you think I should replace either seal or am I good to reuse both? As far as lubing the seal do I want to lube the inside and outside?
  4. Mitchs07explorer

I pressed it in from the front
  5. Mitchs07explorer

I also used a fel-pro seal and if I mounted it flush it would also rub against the plastic dust cover. I know it wasn’t flush when I knocked it out of the cover. The video I’ve been using post by Platinum garage, he pushes the seal at least a 1/2 inch in it seems.
  6. Mitchs07explorer

I don’t have a picture, I’ll take one this weekend but it’s definitely closer to the other end. If I take the cover off I can just tap the seal forward can’t I?
  7. Mitchs07explorer

Hi all, I’m done installing my heads and timing my 4.0 engine. I replaced the the timing cover crankshaft seal with a new fel pro seal. The original seal was probably seated about a 1/3 of the way in. When I installed the new seal I think I ended up about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way down the tube...
  8. Mitchs07explorer

UPDATE: Everything has sat all taken apart in my garage since my last post. I took a few days off over the last few weeks and today I finally got my engine all back together. Good god I can’t believe how long this project has been drug out. I’m proud of myself but I also have that uneasy feeling...
  9. Mitchs07explorer

External timing tensioners on the 4.0

Will do, I’m sure some questions will come up as I go.
  10. Mitchs07explorer

@Lee's Automotive @Fix4Dirt Thanks for your help guys, I’ve done a lot of repair but not so much with engines. So this is my first rodeo with pulling one of these suckers apart. So all of your advice is welcome and much appreciated!
  11. Mitchs07explorer

I was thinking if I still had the issues with shifting after I get the harness all patched up I would rebuild the valve body and install a shift kit.
  12. Mitchs07explorer

Also agree on the felpro, it’s all I’ve bought
  13. Mitchs07explorer

@Lee's Automotive good to know, I’m going to see about returning the oil pump it might not be to late. My 07 has the 5r55s, it’s only got 40k on it, I replaced the previous trans with a reman in 2018. Although sadly I think a lot of my shifting issues had to do with exposed wiring at the MAF...
  14. Mitchs07explorer

In the last couple years I’ve exclusively used mobile 1 5w 30 full synthetic and I’ll continue to use that.
  15. Mitchs07explorer

@Lee's Automotive @Fix4Dirt I figured since I had 170k on the engine the oil pump would be good to replace. I went with the hv pump because I assumed there would be more wear on the cam bearings and extra oil wouldn’t hurt. I wasn’t sure if it would reach the tensioners quicker not but I...
  16. Mitchs07explorer

@Lee's Automotive @Fix4Dirt Totally unrelated question but I bought a mellings high volume oil pump to replace the original pump. It says when you buy the pump to also buy the mellings oil pick up tube but I have read elsewhere that this tube is the same as the stock pickup tube, do either of...
  17. Mitchs07explorer

Ordered! Thank you for the discount code as well, at least with PayPal credit I’ve got 6 mo interest free to pay it off. I’m feeling good about the parts I’m putting into the engine now.
  18. Mitchs07explorer

Yep, I don’t need that **** in my life lol.
  19. Mitchs07explorer

Looking at a mellings kit on Amazon right now, damn thing is $500. I’m going to check rock auto too. I feel like I could’ve bought a reman considering what I’ve spent thus far but then I struggle with that idea because I’ve heard about so many failures on the remans. I still feel I’m better off...
  20. Mitchs07explorer

Can’t believe how much money I’ve spent on this project so far :banghead:
  21. Mitchs07explorer

Wow 2 hours! That would be incredibly upsetting after all they work. I’ve actually been watching platinum garage’s and fordtechmakuloco YouTube videos to do these repairs, those guys are awesome. I’m definitely going to be getting new parts now.
  22. Mitchs07explorer

The rattle was very brief so that makes a lot of sense. It’s like the tensioners drained out way to much so there was very little tension when it was started up. I never had any rattling once it was running or started later in the day. Only if it sat overnight…
  23. Mitchs07explorer

@Fix4Dirt @Lee's Automotive Thanks guys, I was wondering about this after reading a couple different threads. I’ll look for the Borg Warner tensioners or maybe call the dealer to see if I can get motorcraft tensioners through one of them. @Lee's Automotive does the failure rate of the Cloyes...
  24. Mitchs07explorer

I’m looking for a few opinions on those who have changed out their external timing tensioners. I’m doing a full timing rebuild at the moment, I just got the heads back from the machine shop and am pretty close to putting everything back together. For a little back ground, I’ve had a startup...
  25. Mitchs07explorer

Got the heads back today, they’re resurfaced and still in good shape, valves and everything else all good too. Hoping to get the block cleaned up this weekend so I can get it put back together. The timing kit I bought is a Cloyes, at some point I was led to understand that’s one of the better...
Back