Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

What Did You Do To Your 3rd Gen Today?

The key fob, cruise control, and radio quit. I traced them all back to the central fuse block, then decided not to repair them. I also thought about cutting a hole in the floor and fixing that intermittent fuel gauge problem. Hey, it's August in Florida. You can work up a sweat here by merely...
  2. N

Axle seal tool advice

$70 for a seating tool? I took a differential to a machine shop to replace the output bearings and seals (which I provided) and they charged $60. That sounds like a bargain to me.
  3. N

Whistle sound when A/C is running

When I was studying for my Florida State test in A/C I did the math for a typical car. The answer was 0.5 to 5.0 HP depending on outdoor conditions. Phoenix is obviously a 5 HP place! If you think you're losing about 5 HP there is nothing wrong.
  4. N

A/C vent or vents feel clogged.

There is an outdoor air flap that falls down and blocks the motor. It is in front of the passengers knees. We never use outdoor air in Florida so somebody had already installed an external outdoor air blocker. Just a piece of plastic screwed over the hole under the front cowling (under the...
  5. N

How to: Red Neck Easy Fuel Pump - No tank Drop Explorer 4th Gen

This is my job for today. It's that annoying fuel gauge problem. Check engine soon! The variable resistor gets open spots and the Explorer says, "Check Engine Soon." (Ford had a better idea.) Fourteen computers in this beast and it thinks the fuel sensor circuit is in the engine! I just...
  6. N

02 4.0 Front Propeller Shaft

No answers in 2 days? That's because it isn't easy to find the vibration spot. My left rear CV shaft was so bad that it made the gas pedal vibrate at 45 MPH. I worked my way through the 170,000 mile beast for a week and found the right front wheel bearing was the second worst part under...
  7. N

how to fix broken clips, overhead console..

I'm glad somebody asked this question so I could read the answers. I've been watching the junk yards for 3 years, waiting for a dead Explorer with both an electric roof window and dual air conditioning. Not one in a hundred Explorers has that combination. I know because I checked over a...
  8. N

Arm Rest organizer

I just make what I need. You'd be amazed what you can do with some Luan door skin. Half slots and slide 'em together...short pieces of dowel rod and flat head wood screws... Then again, some people find woodcraft as mysterious as magnetic fields.
  9. N

Feels like its stuck in 4wd

That's a natural thing with these cars. The sharp turn causes one tire to rotate faster than another tire, so the 4WD kicks in.
  10. N

A/C issue

I've never seen that happen. It's a perfectly valid suspect, but I have only ever found broken tubing, disconnected tubing, leaky diaphragms in the vacuum motors, and a rusted through vacuum canister on a '65 mustang. (It was sheet metal and mounted in the front passenger side wheel well.)...
  11. N

2003 Ford Explorer Rear Differential Rebuild

I've seen it done. A teacher was trying to teach me, but if you never do it in the next 40 years, you forget.:( Like most other things, it's easy, right after you know how. Your biggest job is to find a reliable source of knowledge and understand every step. (I guess that's why you're here.)...
  12. N

A/C issue

:snicker:Certified Mechanic? I haven't hired a Certified Mechanic since the 1980's! I don't have a clue how much they cost.:( Except, "too much".:D I just find it quicker, easier, and cheaper to look at the tubing and find the break, compared to waiting around most of a day for some $100 per...
  13. N

New member with 2005 Explorer issue

We have another vacuum problem at the top of the first page right now. I thought the floor vent controller was a motorized flap modulator by the driver's right ankle, which would not respond to a vacuum leak. Apparently I was wrong. Anyway...something to consider while searching for the...
  14. N

A/C issue

That's not an A/C problem. It's an air flow problem. A vacuum motor left of the glove box controls that flap. Vacuum failure under acceleration indicates a vacuum leak. You're looking for a vacuum leak in the air controls...or anywhere in the vacuum tubing in or under the dashboard.
  15. N

Tranny Shifting Like New From Simple Fluid Swap

Here's an idea: Change out 3.5 quarts of tranny fluid every time you do an oil change for a couple of years. Four of five of those and you will have the fluid 78% changed, which drastically beats no fluid changes at all for 100,000 miles.;)
  16. N

Steering Wheel Crooked -- Pull to Right

I had both of these problems. Adjusting the tie rods by 3/4 of a turn centered the steering wheel and then the turn signals cancelled correctly after finishing a turn. Swapping the tires, front to rear, cured the pull to the right, proving the tires were the cause.
  17. N

rear differential compatability

I don't have the cross reference book, but I can tell you that looking on the door sticker for, "code 45" is the easiest way to search the junque yard. (Been there, whined that.)
  18. N

2003 Squeaky front end

Thanks for the news. I have cured squeaky front suspension from a 1965 Mustang to a 2005 Explorer, and they were always rubber squeaks. Always open for some education.;)
  19. N

Power seat help

Junque Yard. The cushions are swapable to any frame that fits your year. Be careful, the 2005 drivers seat is 1 year only.
  20. N

Power seat help

So much to go wrong! Got memory seat? Got power supply correct? Got dead motor? Got stripped gears? Who can guess from here?
  21. N

02 4.0L spark plug hole stripped out

I wouldn't blow them all out and start over. Most spark plug holes do not fail. Just do a spark plug change, fix the ones you have to, and keep the kit to re-thread in the back of the car. That's one opinion. Your mileage may vary.
  22. N

Upper ball joint nut is stuck to the bolt

Yep. There are several machines that work by taper fit, like my 1938 drill press and some mills...maybe CNC machines. A slight interference fit on a long taper will hold against incredible amounts of force.
  23. N

How to adjust transmission pointer.

Just remember, I call that red pointer the, "Prindle indicator" because it doesn't tell you what gear the transmission is in. It tells you what gear you asked the transmission to be in. After that, there is the adjustment just below the instrument cluster, but be careful, it is easy to break...
  24. N

Air keeps flowing

Part 1, You're right. Just about the first thing I did to this car was find out why there was a puddle under the middle of the dashboard. (Most evap coils are on the passenger side.) But, no...the streets steam off the A/C water quicker than it can build up and run toward the curb. We mostly...
  25. N

Fuel starvation around corners with less than 1/4 tank

Fix the front and rear sway bars so the car doesn't roll so far over while turning.:D Sorry. Couldn't resist a little joke.:oops: Anyway...I have never heard of that problem, so it's real for you, but nobody else. Start searching now so you don't get stranded when it gets worse.
Back