Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

OBX and Torque Monster headers

Just trying to save others from the same time wasted when you think it might be worth the cost. I ended up getting TM headers and they are working well. At the time I had ability and space to install headers the TM were not available. I should of just waited and that's all I'm recommending...
  2. B

OBX and Torque Monster headers

OBX headers are complete **** and probably spent 20+ hours installing/trying to fix/uninstalling. Do not use those. Torque monsters come up for sale every so often. Mine will never be removed. Get locking bolts and good crush gaskets for the install. OBX set I got were so poorly made you could...
  3. B

5.0 MPG upgrades?

My cheap eBay MAF went bad and I was getting 10mpg for a while. Replaced it with used real Ford one and now back at 18mpg (bull bar on front ruins my chances at 20mpg now)
  4. B

My partial Explorer Express supercharger kit install

I pieced together a few instruction copies to create a best version. Its 12MB so I cannot post it. PM me
  5. B

Help I lost keys replaced all pats system new coulm, new keys, new attenna moudle,around key new battery had locksmith come out to reprogram it he sai

To clarify I mean off Amazon "This fits your car" generic keys that have crappy Chinese chips in them. If you get the same manufacturer that Ford uses to make their keys that is equal to OEM. OP is creating "master" keys here so needing dealership or Forscan! I used Forscan to program new...
  6. B

Lost Bid on 1997 Mountaineer V8 AWD with 110k - went for $1600

I'm glad I ended up shipping my 2k XLT back from WA. I had someone interested but they wanted me to cut the price due to some bogus list of repairs from a sale inspection. Like no....$500 off since the hood takes a longer pull on the handle than desired to pop the hood? Glad at the time I said...
  7. B

What PN Walbro 255LPH fuel pump?

You should email MAC to get the sticker for the CARB number to pass. Just passed CA smog with the 87 tune that comes on the SCT X4 programmer.
  8. B

Torque Monster Header (TMH) Gasket Replacement-Pointers needed

Yes use remflex and the porshe gasket (GAS 901 111 195 01) but I also recommend the locking header bolts. Haven't had any come loose but did have to cut the lock washers different shapes to get them to fit.
  9. B

Running rich should not be an issue unless it throws a code. You really just need to get all the sensors to the SMOG ready state and know that your won't throw a CEL at idle.
  10. B

The SMOG testing these days in CA appear to just be an OBDII scan and idle run. Passed smog with a tuned computer in another car. I am not sure what checksum or area the CA smog is actually checking. What are you referencing 5500rpm for? I know you need a sub 3k ~10min drive to get the "cat...
  11. B

Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip

Let me see if I ever snapped a picture. I litterally took one of those silver bubble cold food bags (Amazon fresh or like primenow) and put it on. I cut a hole in the sealed side/bottom that was the size of the intake tube and then aimed the large opening to the fender. I think there was some...
  12. B

Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip

Perfect! I saw intake temps drop from 100*F+ to ambient with shielding.
  13. B

Create a engine bay heat shield to maximize the gains. Super simple one is cutting a hole in one of those silver bubble wrap cold-food delivery bags. Aim the open end at the fender.
  14. B

5.0 Quarantine Tuneup.

My codes went away when I swapped back to the stock intake. The MAC aftermarket intake adapter has the laminar flow screen of the MAF removed. I am guessing that air is bypassing the sensor. Can you try that? Partial throttle readings just like you are showing. Not seen when hot out but that's...
  15. B

Front door lock actuator, "helper spring" replacement

Yeah make sure you are relaxed and not in direct sunlight but have a headlamp or something. Can be frustrating at first. FYI about my amazement is that he totally nailed the understanding of the Gen2 front lock mechanism by chance (all while not wearing a shirt). He grabbed a spring from a...
  16. B

The riveted-in piece is actually a metal bracket that can be re-used. You leave it in the door and kind of tease out the actuator. Actuator has two plastic bumps that hold it in. I have found the need to break the original actuator rod (plastic part) to get it out. Then put in the replacement...
  17. B

Updated both posts to be more detailed. The external spring is doing exactly what the failed internal spring is doing. Holds tension upwards on that one piece of the lock setup. Make sure to fish out any busted spring from your existing lock. I ended up not using the replacement lock setup I...
  18. B

The video is correct but I could not tell what piece he was connecting to and I had a long spring. In my old post I had the spring attached to inner door area (original post pic3) and then the hole I cut (original post pic2) since I could only find a long spring at Home Depot in a pack. That...
  19. B

Tall valve covers to clear 5.0 roller rockers

Yeah I grabbed a set of those mustang covers when I was planning to try rockers. I still plan to put them on after a coat or two of black wrinkle paint.
  20. B

Update, turns out I put the spring in not the best spot. Just adjusted it to the proper spot on the other side of the window track, like in the YouTube linked. I finally realized that when it stopped popping reliably and checked the video again. You want to loop under the rod in the area...
  21. B

Torsen for a Dana 35SLA

I have the Torsen Dana 35 unit. Works great and handled Canadian snow trips when I was in WA. Listed the Suv for sale in CA now since just sits around. Also has TM headers + mac intake.
  22. B

5.0 injector question

Don't install the OBX they are junk. Cost me 10-12 hours of pain to eventually uninstall and put on TM headers.
  23. B

Finally fixed 3 year old rando CEL (vacuum leak) P0171 P0174

At idle the fuel pressure is fine. Not sure how to check it during the mid throttle cruise where the A/F thinks lean and needs more fuel. I am guessing an exhaust leak or intake manifold gasket leak. I do have new injectors that I plan to install when doing the intake manifold gaskets. 2022...
  24. B

79 and counting Saleen XP8 and XP6 Ford Explorers

XP #1 sold on eBay a while ago. Was in bad shape. Kind of not worth fixing up since had the smaller brakes etc.
Back