Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

Water pouring from 'front' of engine, water pump not bad?

Sand mode :) white, very cold sand that melts
  2. P

Here's the answer - The water pump was bad. The tech was an wrong. After he swapped the water pump and put the engine back together, there were no observed coolant leaks.
  3. P

Absolutely true and the official Ford workshop guide says to do it with the engine in but they said they were removing the engine. Not sure how much time that added, if any, vs doing it with the engine in.
  4. P

No, they're still working on it, there were some recalls that were outstanding (rear toe link and door trim) and I asked them to change the oil while it was in there. No word on if it's still leaking after the water pump replacement. I have a feeling if it was still leaking I'd be getting an...
  5. P

The guy is obviously an idiot. I paid $23 or whatever for a 3 day pass to Ford's service site and typed in my VIN# then clicked on Workshop and then Waterpump... It's right there on the freaking guide this moron should be using to replace the water pump. "For 3.5L Ti-VCT , 3.7L Ti-VCT and...
  6. P

The oil looks fine. Thats why the tech at the dealer says it can't be the water pump. He said it's utterly impossible for the water pump to fail without putting coolant into the antifreeze. I saw another person on this forum had this exact same thing happen and it was the water pump so I guess...
  7. P

Massive leak on the passenger side. The leak was so bad the serpentine belt couldn't keep the alternator spinning, kind of like driving through a super deep mud puddle except there weren't any mud puddles.
  8. P

3.5 Ti-VCT, the not turbo 3.5 liter. I was underneath the car when i was putting it on the Uhaul car hauler to tow it to the dealer, the leak is absolutely on the front of the engine. It's a massive leak, just driving the car onto the trailer had coolant running everywhere and it's absolutely...
  9. P

Wife’s 2015 Ford Explorer sport she wants it built for off road.

We've taken our 2015 Explorer XLT down some absolutely gnarly "roads" in Northern Minnesota...they're legal for street vehicle use but using the term road is being extremely generous. They're 4x4 trails for use by ATVs and snowmobiles and logging trucks. The Explorer is an absolute blast in...
  10. P

I feel like an idiot on this - Explorer was going through a gallon of water a day and finally started leaking so badly that the alternator started slipping. I assumed it was the water pump because I couldn't find any leaking hoses. It's at the dealer now for a water pump at something like...
  11. P

Installing the OEM tow hitch, no threads on bolt holes.

As far as I can tell, yes the bolts are self tapping. It’s why they have that odd section at the nose without threads. My civilian 2015 Explorer didn’t have threads either but I just put the bolts in the holes anyway and held the trigger down on an impact wrench. The screwed right down and when...
  12. P

2015 Explorer hitch bolt size

M12x35MM at 1.75 pitch at 10.9 grade You only need one, the 3 on the drivers side are already there. There are only two on the right but you need 2 total. The existing bolts are grade 10.9 on the exhaust brackets, the bumper itself doesn’t have a grade stamped on the bolts Also need two...
  13. P

Factory Tow Hitch Kit for Gen 5 Explorer c/w Video

I wanted "same day fast" so I'm picking it up from the local Ford dealer (AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake). $9 more than Tasca but I get it today :) Be careful to everyone else - some dealers are charging as much as $120 for this $85 (MSRP) part.
  14. P

Factory Tow Hitch Kit for Gen 5 Explorer c/w Video

Dude, thank you!!! This part is available at nearly every Ford dealer while the "official" 4 wire connector for the OEM trailer hitch kit is on back order
  15. P

I called various junk yards and while none of them had the bolts, one of them was kind enough to look up the size. He said that the bolt size is M12x35mm and the nuts can be re-used from the existing crash bar. So, I'm going to go down to Menard's, buy a pack of M12x35mm grade 8 or 10.9 bolts...
  16. P

I just bought an oem crash bar with trailer hitch from a junk yard for my 2015 Explorer. They don’t include bolts and looked at me like I was crazy when I asked. Can someone tell me the bolt sizes? Do any of the existing bolts holding on the current bumper get used?
  17. P

Largest item in your Explorer

The same stacked Maytag washer and dryer as we took it to the dump - don't buy things off Craigslist without proof that they work is all I can say about that, and then a Frigidaire stackable washer and dryer purchased new at the hardware store, not stacked. Definitely a good vehicle for moving...
  18. P

Should I replace the Explorer

Yes, I agree on the Toyotas. I had a Rav4 before, the only reason it was reliable was everything on it was made in the simplest way possible. A steel rod ran the HVAC mode door, there wee no vacuum lines on it other than for emissions. The WEIRDEST crap managed to break on it - U-joints...
  19. P

I like the Explorer, pretty awesome vehicle, and it really is in good shape for 180K miles and 13 years old. Wife hates it though, she says it's ugly and wants to replace it with an F-150. In her opinion SUV's should look like cars (Like the new Explorer and Escape), and pickup trucks...
  20. P

The Dealer pulled this trick, which I've seen before. "We use KBB for our pricing", then they give you a number which they say they got from KBB. In this case, they said they always select the "Good" price and deduct the price of the repairs from it. The "Good" price they had was $1200. I...
  21. P

It's got 183K miles on it, and the engine and transmission seem strong. I had it appraised at a car dealer and they offered $1k for it which seems like a really low price for a running 4x4 with little rust. Here's the problems its got - Front HVAC mode selector broke off so you have to...
  22. P

"Off Road" sort of

The other day, my wife and I noticed a dirt... well road is probably too strong a term for this. It was like a path through a cornfield, but it had an official city street sign on it, so we took the Escape down the road. It was sideways a few times, mud covered the sunroof, mud went...
  23. P

Cannot continue

Its the frontal area of the trailer. I pulled a 7,000 pound travel trailer with my Ecoboost F-150 with 3.73 rear end and it did pull it, but with a lot of downshifting and god awful fuel economy - 11.5 MPG if I remember correctly. It didn't feel like it lacked for power, and I stuck it in 6th...
  24. P

can the locks be programmed?

Newer Fords unlock all the doors when you put it in park, turn off the engine, and then open the driver's door. I just got in the habit of always hitting unlock before I got out of the car, and I learned the key sequence for the door pad to unlock the tailgate or all doors from outside. We...
  25. P

3rd Gen saves shoplifter's life after Police Chase

Arent explorers and crown vics built on the same platform? Well back when there were still crown vics anyway.
Back