Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Painted Trim With Bed Liner

How is the spray on liner holding up? I'm thinking of switching my tan/gold trim-running boards-bumper-and-such to black bedliner. Was your bumper plastic?
  2. D

Lifting your explorer to clear larger tires-

1997 Explorer E.B. V8 AWD. I finished my install of Warrior 153 Shackles and did a Torsion Twist for the front end. The 31x10.50x15s on 15x8s fit and look great. My question regards gearing, in asking the forum about suspension someone brought up, that when you go with bigger tires you also need...
  3. D

Engine shake

With the waste spark, if I'm already getting a bad ignition in a cylinder my test would only prove my hypothesis, Correct?
  4. D

Engine shake

Thank you for the response. I noticed first at idle but after taking it for a spin today... all I can say is it feels.. different.. rougher. Don't get me wrong it will still get up and go. There's this noticeable extra sound and feeling in the rig. I know it's a bad explanation and very vague...
  5. D

Engine shake

Back again with yet another question that's probably been answered. 1997 Explorer E.B. V8 AWD has obtained a noticeable engine shake to it. I noticed it a few weeks ago while working on installing a new stereo. I had it idling and everything was running smooth then all of sudden it started...
  6. D

Tranny Shower and Post Op Question.

I'm going to start with, I am no mechanic, I've never even so much as changed my own oil. I'm only now getting to working on rigs as a little hobby. I had an issue with a new rig not engaging drive positions except when in 4low. I decided to pull the transfer case and take a look. I got the both...
  7. D

Transfer case Hi Low collar, or range shifter (pics)

I thought about that. My concern is, I am far from a mechanic and truth be told I don't know what I'm doing. But I'll give it a go.
  8. D

Transfer Case Clutch Assembly Question

I am not a mechanic. With that said I had an issue with 1997 Explorer E.B. V6 4WD transfer case. I pulled it and am following the 4405 rebuild instructions contained here in the forum. I got everything apart and am waiting on the Omega arm and Hi/low gear thing. This afternoon the kids hit the...
  9. D

Help! Looking for Trim!

Thanks for the input. I actually went through the process of buying another '97 Explorer E.B. with a transmission/transfer case issue just for the parts. Then my mom seen it and loved the look of it. Now, not only am I out the parts I wanted to harvest but I'm rebuilding the transfer case on the...
  10. D

Read through the 4405 rebuild and am using it for my rebuild. Found the Omega arm. Found the high/low gear, I had to hunt it by P/N. Ordered a rebuild kit. Should be ready to go in a week or so. Thanks for the info. Ford BorgWarner BW4405 4405 Transfer Case Slider Collar: $42.50 Transfer...
  11. D

Had some issues with my rig. Pulled the transfer case and found this along with some other issues. First question: Is this still a viable gear? Second question: Where do I get a new Hi Low collar, or range shifter gear? Last question: Where do I purchase the Omega Shift Fork? Thank You.
  12. D

Easy way to tell if transmission is bad

Thank you. Gonna do that this weekend.
  13. D

Don't know where codes would be. The vehicle is 100% unsafe to drive. So driving somewhere to plug it into a computer to get codes is out. Purchasing some device to get codes... I'm not gonna do that either. Yes there is a 3 position switch on the dash. I think you missed the part where it...
  14. D

I've posted and posted and got nothing. But here goes again. 1997 Explorer E.B. V6 4WD. "New here, so here goes. Today before work, I bought a 1997, Explorer, E.B., V6, 4WD, with 172K on her for $600. The only issue is what I believe to be the transfer case. When I start it up, the 4low or...
  15. D

1997 Explorer E.B. V6 4x4. What are easy ways to tell if the problem IS the transmission and not something different like electrical, or some linking component or a switch somewhere. I can't get information anywhere to diagnose what's wrong with my rig so I'll start with the transmission. If the...
  16. D

Gear Engage Fail

Here is the situation: Bought a 1997 Explorer E.B. V6 4x4. I start it up, I shift into drive, the 4 Low light is on. I go to put it into park and I get a loud grinding/whine, I go to put it into neutral, I get a loud grinding/whine. I go to put it into any gear and I get a loud grinding/whine...
  17. D

Lift and Other Questions

Um... What's this? Why? And, thank you for bringing to my attention something new.
  18. D

Lift and Other Questions

Did the pictures come through?
  19. D

Torsion pics

Maybe one of you can help. I did the torsion twist on my rig and the CV joint angles seem extreme. The specs seem correct. Factory ~ 4" add 2" of lift and with 5 - 3/4" I'm within the my 6" window. Thoughts...
  20. D

Lift and Other Questions

Torsion lift pics Maybe one of you can help. I did the torsion twist on my rig and the CV joint angles seem extreme. The specs seem correct. Factory ~ 4" add 2" of lift and with 5 - 3/4" I'm within the my 6" window. Thoughts...
  21. D

Help! Looking for Trim!

Passenger
  22. D

Help! Looking for Trim!

Not sure if this is gonna work or not. New here and haven't done a lot of picture posting. Rig is 1997 Explorer E.B. V8 AWD. The Burgundy colored one with the tannish colored trim. I have another Explorer same everything except it's white with the gold trim and the V6 4x4. I wanted to do a part...
  23. D

Torsion twist for dummies! (pics included)

Unsure Maybe one of you can help. I did the torsion twist on my rig and the CV joint angles seem extreme. The specs seem correct. Factory ~ 4" add 2" of lift and with 5 - 3/4" I'm within the my 6" window. Thoughts? Not sure if the images worked.
  24. D

Help! Looking for Trim!

I am looking for P/Ns: 1L2Z7829164DAPTM 1L2Z78255A00AAPT
  25. D

Lift and Other Questions

1997 Explorer E.B. V8 AWD, I'm lifting my rig with a TT and WAR 153s. I'd like to smooth out the ride, any recommendations on shocks? I'll be putting larger tires on my rig, for medium off road usage. Besides the spedo change out, what other concerns should I have in going with bigger tires...
Back