Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Want to mount 265/70/r17 on my explorer, what spacing do I need on new wheels

You can run stock wheels if you want, it'll be fine. You would maybe need to trim or pin back the femder liner but it just depends. Some guys don't have any rub at all, others say the rub was very minor. However if you just want aftermarket wheels for the sake of having them you can go 4.5"...
  2. S

Rocker/toggle switches - where did you put yours?

That's a really good point. I was planning to use a small OEM-style relay/fuse box under the hood but most of the lighting will be mounted on the roof anyway so I'll have to see if it'll fit behind the console. That'd let me run a single power cable through the firewall and save me some hassle.
  3. S

Hey, that looks pretty clean, I dig it. That's the type of switches I plan to run, and down below the climate controls or on the back of the overhead panel were the two places that seemed most convenient. The remote head for my VHF/UHF will end up in one of those for sure.
  4. S

3rd gen pic's

I ordered a rack and Keeper waterproof cargo bag over the weekend amd bith of them showed up yesterday so I got the rack mounted this afternoon. I was between a Curt/Bison and the Rola, but in the end I went with a Bison rack with the extenstion. Since tuese racks are notorious for rusting due...
  5. S

Looking for a clean solution for the switches to run my auxilliary lighting, onboard compressor, etc. I'm thinking about the back of the overhead switch/light panel (in front of the sunroof) but thought I'd see where others put theirs.
  6. S

Question for those with cargo baskets

Haha mine were $30 and a near-death experience. Goddamn truck almost tipped off its blocks when I climbed up to get the damn things. :D
  7. S

I finally found OEMs at a local junk yard. Not all came with the cross bars, and some people just take them off for whatever reason. You can do what I did and get them from a junk yard, or you can probably find them on ebay. If you get them on ebay just make sure you get a set that has the...
  8. S

Yeah those cheap gas cans are terrible for storing gas. They're meant for emergencies and short-term storage but that's about it. The NATO cans can store on their spine, several companies make cradles designed to secure them that way and it lowers the required height a bit. Not all NATO cans...
  9. S

I looked into them but a four-gallon Roto is about the cost of two Wavian five-gallon NATO cans. Here's some interior shots. I still haven't finished the drawers. Still gotta get sliders and pull the whole thing out to paint. The cooler will eventually be replaced with an Indel fridge but...
  10. S

3rd gen pic's

Been working on the storage system, since we've been camping literally every weekend for the last month we've been able to see what works and what doesn't. Roof rack is next on the list for sure. We barely have room for everything as is and I still have to build a mount for the fuel and water...
  11. S

The weight rating is dynamic, yes. So basically it's the weight the rack can safely carry while the vehicle is in motion. I just don't know if the rating is based on the side rail mounting points or the crossbars themselves. Either way, I could increase that weight limit by building a...
  12. S

Nice, I was looking at the Rola. How long does it end up being with the extension? Looks like it actually comes out above the sunroof, which I actually don't really mind.
  13. S

1.25" BTF spacers and 1.5" BL, clear 33s?

Yeah, I'm sure you can run 33s on stock suspension, but clearance issues are all but guaranteed.
  14. S

3rd gen pic's

Here are some shots of my 05 Limited as she is right now. Wife and I are prepping her for overland use since our old Montero finally gave up the ghost last year. 1.25" BTF spacers and 1.5" body lift are in her future, hoping to run 33s but may end up with 32s, we'll see. Also planned are...
  15. S

Steering Wheel Mods from Stock?

Your cheapest options for steering wheel are going to be either the local salvage yard or ebay for a stock replacement. Otherwise Wheelskinz are awesome covers, pretty sure they'll have a kit for our trucks and they're less than $100. As for the steering wheel audio controls, you need an...
  16. S

1.25" BTF spacers and 1.5" BL, clear 33s?

I searched through trying to find someone with this combo but I'm not having much luck so I apologize if this has been answered before. Long story short, prepping for a couple of overland trips and I'd like to know if 1.25" (or even 1.5") BTF spacers combined with a 1.5" body lift will give me...
  17. S

BTF Fabrication Explorer Lift Coil Spacer discussions

Awesome. I'll be doing front and rear for sure I honestly think with the weight of the storage system, fuel, food, water and all of our gear she'll sit level for sure. :dpchug:
  18. S

BTF Fabrication Explorer Lift Coil Spacer discussions

So you just did the front spacers, right? I'm looking at going 1.25" or 1.5" spacers front and rear but I haven't decided yet. Don't want to go much more than the 1.5" spacers since my rig will see trail use.
  19. S

Just wondering how you went about mounting. My research tells me the factory roof rack holds 150 pounds max but I'm not sure if that's just for the cross bars. I don't have them anyway so would probanly just mount straight to the side rails. With the weight of the rack, spare fuel, and water...
  20. S

Factory sub enclosure plastic

The JL enclosure won't fit my Explorer since I have rear AC. At any rate, I managed to find some spare time to pull the factory enclosure and it's marked HDPE, which means modifying it with fiberglass is a no-go. Polyester resin for sure will not make a chemical bond and it'll still delaminate...
  21. S

Ah, I thought you meant buy a little trailer to carry our gear haha. Yeah, someday we'll get a pop up or something but that's down the road a ways.
  22. S

Yeah I'm not buying a trailer just to haul our gear. If I buy something to tow it'll be an actual camper and that's just not in the budget haha.
  23. S

Yeah I'm looking to get away from having an enclosure taking up space. I have a 12" sub behind the third row now and it's in the way more often than not. We do a lot of camping and overlanding so the space that enclosure takes up is kinda precious. If I have to glass a whole new enclosure I...
  24. S

This is a long shot but does anyone happen to know what kind of plastic the factory sub enclosure is made of? I'm going to be stuffing a Dayton HO 10" back there and if I can fiberglass the oem enclosure it'll save me a ton of fab time and materials cost. I know some guys on the forum have...
  25. S

05 Explorer front speaker depth?

I actually got the truck back home and took measurements. The window track limits the depth to under 3" if measured flush with the inner door structure. With a spacer I can go maybe 3.25" and not have interference with the factory grill. That said 8" aren't going to fit. The back side of the...
Back