Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Explorer - what do you like/dislike and what would you change?

I agree with dogfriend, a '75 EB would be sweet with modern amenities on it! Good: SOHC V6 (only engine I'm familiar with) I like the 5 spd auto tranny so far style in and out lots of model variations FORD tough! smooth on road &...
  2. B

Siren sound when accerating

Robert: true, 00M12 is not a recall. My bad. But it should be! Anything that almost always causes your engine to need to be replaced feels like it should be recalled, not hope that the engine makes it past 6yrs/72K miles so Ford doesn't have to pay the bill. Oh well, they fixed mine, so I'm...
  3. B

2000 Explorer bad idle

I've got a 2000 XLT SOHC too. It is going in tomorrow for the 00M12 fix. It started the "diesel engine" sound on cold start ups a week or two ago. I got a letter in Dec 2001 saying I was eligible for this "improvement" to my engine (I love how marketing execs can turn a faulty part into an...
  4. B

Lokimaster, I just scheduled an appointment with the dealer. When I told them about the whining sound, they said they knew exactly what it was. An "excluder seal" needs to be greased. If it is that simple, then I'll be happy, as it is getting pretty annoying. Ask dealer about that. You...
  5. B

Lokimaster, Is it a high pitched whine or whistling sound? Does it go away when you are on the brakes or not? It sounds similar to the problem my 2000 XLT 4x4 (only 16000 miles) started having recently. It usually doesn't start right away, but after a few minutes of driving, a high pitched...
  6. B

OEM spring replacement

Tony, Do a search for "Old Man Emu". Bizarre name, but many people have these leafs in the rear. Definitely cures the old "Explorer butt-sag" problem the stock trucks have. I don't have these, but if I remember correctly, you get about 2" lift in the rear. They are available from ARB, I...
  7. B

College Vehicle??

Alicia, I'm a big Explorer fan, but I'm with Billy. The Explorer will cost you big bucks driving that far everyday to school and back. Plus, I'm guessing you will never need the 4WD in Louisiana (has it EVER snowed there?). IMO, a used hatchback is the perfect college vehicle. That's what...
  8. B

Contest !!!

Sweet! You are at 68% of the vote when I voted. Good luck. Did anyone else think that Tracker looked like a toy? Yuck. The white Bronco was nice too.
  9. B

Air intake idea

Well OK. Thanks Aldive! I guess I was worrying a lot about hot air for nothing. Anyone have any experience with passing emissions tests with the KKM installed on a SOHC? I don't have to be tested until March '03, but as mentioned above, I am a bit of a worrier! :cool:
  10. B

Air intake idea

I'm also interested in getting more cold air to my KKM intake. Has anyone here tried to insulate the filter from hot air around the engine? Here's what I was thinking: get some furnace duct insulation (it looks like 1" thick fiberglass insulation with aluminum foil on one side. Wrap this in...
  11. B

Am I screwed?

Wow, what a mess. Wherever you go to get this fixed, have them document the problem and damage it did as well as possible. You should be able to make those idiots who did that to you pay!
  12. B

What engine do you want?

I like my 4.0L SOHC. Been good to me so far (knock on wood)! BTW, I've participated in some market surveys on Explorers. One was completely about engines, and had options for various diesels. Of course, I voted for the diesel whenever possible, just so Ford would consider putting them in...
  13. B

couple things wrong ?

slow truck, eh? Hmmmm. Here are a couple of simple ideas: (1) Fuel filter is dirty? (2) Fuel injectors dirty? (3) This sounds stupid, but bad gas? Maybe try filling up at a station other than your usual one (preferably a major brand that has detergents in gas). I don't know about...
  14. B

Mustang Fails All 18 Fuel System Integrity Tests

That is sad. I drive my Explorer over 50 mph almost every time I drive. Now I start to wonder if my X also has problems that Ford has neglected to mention because it "meets all federal requirements". Ford better get on the ball or they will end up with a huge class action suit like GM did...
  15. B

Are regular fog lights illegal? Got pulled over!

I disagree that fog lights are only for foggy weather. I use mine a lot because I live in a small town with lots of new housing developments that are poorly lit at night surrounded by unlit farm/ranch land. The fogs are perfect because they tend to shine close to the truck and also wider than...
  16. B

MPG Survey: This time, list all of the following options...

1. 4.0L SOHC 2. 5 spd AUTO 3. 4.10 gears 4. 255/70/16 = 30" 5. speedo correct 6. 4WD 7. KKM Tru-Rev intake 8. 17-18 mpg (avg)
  17. B

New Member With Keyless Entry Question

Welcome! Lee, This is the BEST explorer site, bar none. You will learn everything you ever want to know about Ex's here. But beware, you will get the modification bug if you read too many posts...it gets expensive! 1. The SOHC is a great engine, IMHO. Besides that nasty tensioner...
  18. B

Tow Hook Installation Instructions (Warning: 8 Images to download)

Thanks for posting the pics. However, I have a question. Has anyone with a Sport package (i.e. the grey bumpers, not the chrome ones) done the front tow hook install? I have that package and it seems like the opening in the bumper is about an inch or 2 from the frame (too far towards center...
  19. B

Mileage on SOHCs??

That seems very low. I have 4.10 gears and 4X4 and I get about 17-18 MPG with mixed city/highway driving with my SOHC. I'd think you would be near 20 MPG with your set up. Can't say what's wrong, but it sounds like you have a problem!
  20. B

pet barriers

BTW, I have had mine 1.5 yrs and put it into a brand new Ex. So far, no black marks in the ceiling of truck. On the floor, I have 2x4" wood blocks for the bottom of barrier to rest on so they have nice flat surface to brace against. John
  21. B

pet barriers

Overall, a useful thing Jason, I have one and I generally like it. Got mine from a mail order place: www.drsfostersmith.com The part# is 9N-9589 and the picture they have of it actually looks like it is a black Lab in an Explorer (I have a yellow Lab and an Ex, but that is beside the...
  22. B

leaf springs?

That will work. Many people here have had great luck with the Old Man Emu springs from ARB, I believe. They give you 2" in the rear and then you do a torsion twist up front to level things out. That's what I plan to do to mine when it gets a bit older and my wife lets me play with my Ex. Do...
  23. B

v8 or v6???

You can have tow + sport too! KVO, No. I live in CO and they don't sell any Explorers w/o the tow package (or so I was told). Too many toys here. I loved the look of the Sport package + bigger wheels + lower gears for the (as of now only planned) lift + bigger tires. I had no trouble...
  24. B

Why not use overdrive?

small world Hi Wally, Hey, a Fort Wayne Explorer! I was born there and grew up in Indpls. Hello to a fellow Hoosier! As to your question, I never take the Ex out of overdrive unless I'm in the mtns and it is hunting between 4th & 5th gear on curvy switchbacks. I've read some of the...
  25. B

v8 or v6???

V6 I agree with Jason, get a V6 SOHC (they don't come in XLS, so you'll have to get a XLT). I have a 2000 XLT with the SOHC V6 and like it a lot. I don't know the towing capacity, but it should be OK for you. Be sure to get one with the towing package so that you'll get the 4.10 gears and...
Back