Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

A/C and Overdrive Off

Didn't think they compressor clutch had a "high-limit." I was only doing 65mph so the engine was just about 3,000 rpm. I'll try this next week coming home with the boat.
  2. B

A/C and Overdrive Off

No ones has input on this issue?
  3. B

A/C and Overdrive Off

Towing a few times this summer and when I hit the overdrive-off switch the A/C would basically shut down. The HVAC controls still showed A/C on but the air would be warm and humid. The A/C functioned normally with overdrive enabled. Is there some kind of thermal over-ride or should I bring...
  4. B

2006 4.0 cold air intake

I as well have put CAI on other vehicles with good results, but the factory intake track for the 4th Gen Explorer is truly the best intake possible. Any aftermarket option I have seen will take in warm air from under the hood or require more bends than factory.
  5. B

Stupid Brake Problem

So I was also having issues with a dragging parking brake on my Mazda3 work car and started to do a bit of "excessively critical" diagnosis; the common theme between the Merc & the Mazda...Raybestos brake pads. Swapped different rear pads into the Mazda and no more dragging. So I pulled the...
  6. B

Stupid Brake Problem

Its a V6 5r55... But even doing it down the highway at a constant 60 mph holding 4th gear on level ground. I'll drive it for a few days and see if it gets better when we warm up next week.
  7. B

Stupid Brake Problem

And after 3 days its back, truck feels sluggish and holding gears to over 3k-3.5k rpm on normal acceleration. Both fronts rotors were warm/hot to the touch when I got home. Off to the dealer this week for a possible sticking caliper, lets see what this warranty covers!
  8. B

"OEM STYLE" dash switch

I have an '06 Mountaineer that I'd like to add driving lights without damaging the factory counsel. Has anyone found an OEM looking switch that I can add where the factory power foot pedal switch would be located to activate the extra lights?
  9. B

Stupid Brake Problem

Well, I'm not sure what it really was but all is better again. The stainless clips that I took off were fairly clean and straight with no real build-up on the steel bracket underneath. I had when I have to do a job 3 times to make it work!
  10. B

Stupid Brake Problem

Went back out to the garage after the truck cooled off; pulled the front & rear calipers to check everything. I pulled the new shims out of the box, wire brushed the mounts and installed. All the caliper pistons retracted smoothly, all the pins move smoothly, none of the lines are kinked or...
  11. B

Stupid Brake Problem

I went from perfectly fine to issues... Caliper pistons retracted easily, slide pins move smothly, everything is relatively clean and free moving. I know what a stuck caliper feels like both driving and working with, this only seems like a slight drag. Is there something special to fiting the...
  12. B

Stupid Brake Problem

I've owned my clean, low milage '06 Mountaineer since March and its been a great truck. The dealer put cheap pads on it and the brakes were squealing to a stop so I decided to do something about it... Pull the pads, sand them down a little with some 80 grit on the work bench, compress the...
  13. B

New Tuner By Diablo

I'd be interested in purchasing if someone knew if this was also AWD Mercury Mountaineer compatible....
  14. B

2010 EB For Sale Is It a Good Upgrade?

Just bought an Mercury Mountaineer with 58k miles 3 months ago that was 99% the same specifications (manual 3rd row) as this truck and only paid $13,700 out the door with a 5yr 50k mile warranty. The price seems a bit high but I know the Fords around here sell slightly higher priced than the Mercs.
  15. B

Replacing Stock Radio on my 2007 Explorer

Reviews on Amazon are not looking very promising on that head unit. It does appear to be "plug & play" but the build quality by the reviews seems pretty poor. I personally would go aftermarket like Jenson or Pioneer that usually stand behind their product and the necessary harness adapters &...
  16. B

Replacing Stock Radio on my 2007 Explorer

So long as you get adapter harnesses and don't cut into the factory harness I don't see how you would void the warranty for other rest of the vehicle. Obviously an aftermarket radio would not be covered by the warranty; but I question on a 2007 if you have a power train (that wouldn't be...
  17. B

weirdest electrical issue.....

My Merc Mariner started doing the weird lock-unlock at random times last year. After 5 mo. of searching it ended up being an intermittent ground under the seat. I would suggest a very through investigation of the wiring loom around the door locks switch, at the door hinge "pass through"...
  18. B

What do you guys think of this exhaust ?

Ha, No worse than the 4.0 HO I6 in my old Cherokee. There wasn't a thing you could do to that straight-6 engine to make it sound decent with an exhaust. I know a V6 will never sound good, but is there any decent cat-backs that will work without sounding like a sputtering Subaru?
  19. B

What do you guys think of this exhaust ?

I've been looking for an exhaust for my '06 4.0L Mountaineer that is a shared "family" vehicle and 50/50 split of both the wife and I driving. I don't want obnoxious (been down that road) and piss off the wife but want "just a bit more" sound. I was looking at these systems posted on eBay...
  20. B

4th Gen Towing upgrad parts help

So the Lincoln Aviator bumper cap came in yesterday and I think I can make it work. I'll have to cut slots into the underside of the bumper cover at the hitch opening for the cap tabs to lock into but those will be virtually invisible. Then to figure out how to secure the bottom of the cap as...
  21. B

I do have one around from a few years back when I had a hitch on my commuter car, short term I will be using it. Like I said I might "double up" a bike rack and luggage tray if the need arises in the future, why I like the idea of the Lincoln Aviator bumper cover. The other issue I have is...
  22. B

Already clearly noted and explained in my 1st posting. I'm not pushing the tow rating by any means, and do not tow regularly. Upgrading the hitch for conformity with all the accessories I already own where a $150 hitch is less expensive than purchasing all new Class II accessories.
  23. B

I've looked into the Valley brand tow hitch that has the plate that covers the Class II. I was looking around and debating fabbing up a step or aluminum diamond tread cover that would insert into the Class II and only have the lower Class III showing. Make it removable so I could put the bike...
  24. B

Also, I am fully aware of the aftermarket (curt, hidden hitch, valley) Class III hitches and could just as easily go that route as well. Is there an accessory "cover" for the factory class II hitch like the newest model Explorers?
  25. B

I'm looking at purchasing a LOW mileage V6 AWD Mountaineer that does not have the tow package. I've been researching and searching this forum but haven't found part numbers for some of the towing accessories I'm looking for. I currently own an '06 Mariner V6 AWD and tow a 10' utility trailer...
Back